Purolator Efficiency on Upgraded Oil Filters

I am of the same opinion. Otherwise OEM filters would be built to be more efficient than most are.
From what I recall, the domestic OE filters weren't bad on filtration:
1643133851635.png

The AMSOIL EaO was later updated to show 98.7% @ 15 microns:
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 1.12.19 PM.png

But they now claim 99% @ 20 microns.

Honda and Toyota are less than stellar there, and aren't their engines generally considered to be some of the longest lasting available?
If we ignore some specific exceptional examples, yes, but then so are the LSx engines and the Ford Modulars. I don't think anyone has a monopoly on long term durability.

Which circles back to:

I don't think the oil filter or viscosity matters much.

Not as much as we'd like to think, no. The air filter is arguably significantly more important.

In terms of the lifespan of passenger car vehicles, the difference over that mileage is I'm sure statistically measurable but practically approaching irrelevant.

We get into OTR trucks and equipment that runs significantly beyond that then I think we start getting into where it matters. Bypass filtration, centrifuges...etc. Filters like the Donaldson ELF and Fleetguard Stratapore are made for this.

@Doug Hillary's 1.3 million km teardown with everything spec'ing "as new" in that 500HP Detroit, which was returned to service and run for another million+ km IIRC, that's where filtration matters I suspect. I know he ran centrifuges on those trucks.

I actually like the construction of the PurolatorBoss. Very strong media with plastic mesh, very clean glue, metal crimp on media ends. Just wish it had comparable efficiency to the Mobil1 and the Royal Purple. The Royal Purple is hard to find as opposed to Purolators.

Pick what you think is best and don't lose sleep over an oil filter. I use the Purolator Boss with no issues.

It’s really hard to have a discussion about oil filter effects on wear at this sight - you might know why …
Because nobody will take the time to do their own research on the subject matter, and don't believe any of studies done - ???. :unsure: Believing that oil filtration doesn't matter is basically just another long standing misconception. Still waiting for that study that shows cleaner oil doesn't result in less wear. 😄

The Motorcraft fl820s filter listed there is a filter I use . Pretty good for $3.17. Of course if it doesn't tear .
Interestingly before the Amsoil ISO test, MC only claimed 'at least 80% @ 20um'. In fact still do. If not for this test wouldn't have had another result.

On could infer other MC filters similar. But yeah, the 820S has other issues.

The Motorcraft fl820s filter listed there is a filter I use . Pretty good for $3.17 . Of course if it doesn't tear .

I used this oil filter on a Crown Vic from 60,000 miles to 360,000 miles. The car was retired at this point due to severe rust issues on frame and suspension. Don't listen to the hate of this oil filter,it works.

Is there any real life evidence that using an oil filter that is rated for, say 99% at 40 to 50 microns, for the entire life of a car the engine will not be able to make it from 200,000 to 300,000 miles?
There's a difference between "making it" (whatever that really means) and if the engine will be in better shape at that point or not due to keeping the oil cleaner.

No.

On paper, the more efficient the filter, the cleaner the oil, the less wear.

In practice it doesn't seem to matter much. Just like thick v thin.
You know that if the MOFT isn't adequate that more wear will also occur. So 'thick vs thin' can also matter in the longevity of an engine.

Interestingly before the Amsoil ISO test, MC only claimed 'at least 80% @ 20um'. In fact still do. If not for this test wouldn't have had another result.

On could infer other MC filters similar. But yeah, the 820S has other issues.
A few years back, Motorcraft put out a YT video saying that all their filters meet USCAR-36 which requires an efficiency of at least 95% @ 35u, which may or may not equate to the 80% @ 20u.

I haven’t seen any hate but I sure have seen a lot of torn media.
Yep. Now, I never had one tear, but I've seen a few on here that did. IIRC, the 820S was not the king of tearing, there were other Purolator made filters that tore significantly more frequently.

I haven’t seen any hate but I sure have seen a lot of torn media.

Didn't make no difference in the long term ownership of our Crown Vic 😉

If you want to be paranoid and can't sleep,then by all means use something else.

A few years back, Motorcraft put out a YT video saying that all their filters meet USCAR-36 which requires an efficiency of at least 95% @ 35u, which may or may not equate to the 80% @ 20u.....
So it 'could' be. Stand corrected on the 'still do.' Amended to 'perhaps' still do. :) Main point obviously missed, Amsoil ISO tested out significantly higher than the then published 'at least 80%@20um.' And higher than the newer USCAR.

As for topic, I guess I'd say based on Amsoil ISO test someone using Toyota or Honda OEM only (as I've read this subforum), would be somewhat hypocritical being critical of the stated Boss efficiency here.

Last edited:
Back