Prius burns oil, how to prevent from happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
240k miles is a lot and 1k miles to burn a quart is a lot too considering the car is a hybrid!

For the new car, I'd try lower OCI and maybe a thicker oil, see if it makes any difference. 240k miles is a good run though!

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Any 0W-20 or 5W-20 is fine. No need to mix. Problem probably happens in neglected engines. My favorite is TGMO.

Hi Gokhan, what kinds of neglects are you referring to here?
If too long an oci, what is the "maximum safe oci"?

... Problem probably happens in neglected engines. My favorite is TGMO.
From reading numerous sad stories on priuschat.com and elsewhere, I get the impression the problem often occurs with non-neglected cars using TGMO. Son of Joe has explained in several threads why he suspects oils with high VII loading (probably including TGMO) are a factor.

Originally Posted By: CR94
From reading numerous sad stories on priuschat.com and elsewhere, I get the impression the problem often occurs with non-neglected cars using TGMO. Son of Joe has explained in several threads why he suspects oils with high VII loading (probably including TGMO) are a factor.

TGMO has one of the highest VI's of any oil, that is one of the reasons people like it so much for whatever reason.

I decided on a mix of 75% Renewable Biosyn 5w20 and 25% Amsoil SS 0w20 as well as one bottle of Ceratec (good stuff).
I think I will run 7.5k OCI and switch to 50% RLI and and 50% Amsoil OE since I have a ton of both.

"I decided on a mix of 75% Renewable Biosyn 5w20 and 25% Amsoil SS 0w20 as well as one bottle of Ceratec (good stuff).
I think I will run 7.5k OCI and switch to 50% RLI and and 50% Amsoil OE since I have a ton of both.

Sounds more like Hungarian goulash rather than oil. Good luck with that.

I would suggest never starting the car. You will get great fuel economy and never burn a drop of oil. That should please anyone concerned about the environment. Better yet sell the car and get an American car with a big V8. My Ram and Scat Pack do not use a drop of oil.

Yeah I agree PimTac. OP if you want to mix.... Stay with a brand. Like Mobil 1 EP with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum with Pennzoil Yellow bottle. The additive packages are usually quite similar to the other oils a company makes. Less likely to have an additive clash like when mixing different brands of oil together.

Will a car or truck blow up with mixing of different oils from different companies?? No in all likelihood. But can one guruantee the API SN performance or Dexos approved performance of the two oils mixed together?? Maybe, buy maybe not. In the winter time could one guruantee the W performance of two different oils mixed together ?? Probably not. That's why it is best not to mix two different oils from different companies together.

I hope that your mix does good. But I wouldn't run it out to the maximum mileage though.

Originally Posted By: CR94

Really? This is a ridiculous speculation.

First, it claims that the standard genuine Toyota oil used virtually for all new Toyota vehicles is destroying the Toyota engines. Can't you see how ridiculous this is?

Now, let's use some science instead of half-educated yet wild speculations. On BITOG, the problem becomes worse with self-claimed oil insiders, and people will take their "explanations" seriously, while often they are less worthy than any random info you can Google. There was even a self-claimed insider on the oil-filter thread who was trolling about the Purolator oil filters and he later admitted that he was making things up.

Here are the A_Harman indexes for Mobil 1 oils as well as TGMO. For TGMO I used both the MSDS and VOA data for KV40 and KV100. We don't have a data on HTHSV but 2.6 cP is the lowest possible value and that will put the A_Harman index as low as possible.

Code:

Oil Density KV40 KV100 KV150 HTHSV VI DV150 A_Harman index

M1 0W-20 0.841 44.80 8.70 3.91 2.70 177 2.91 0.928

M1 5W-20 0.852 49.80 8.90 3.89 2.75 160 2.93 0.938

M1 5W-30 0.855 61.70 11.00 4.75 3.10 172 3.59 0.862

M1 EP 0W-20 0.839 44.90 8.60 3.85 2.70 173 2.86 0.944

M1 EP 5W-20 0.850 49.60 8.90 3.90 2.75 161 2.93 0.937

M1 EP 5W-30 0.851 59.80 10.60 4.57 3.00 169 3.44 0.872

M1 HM 5W-20 0.856 50.00 8.60 3.72 2.70 150 2.82 0.958

M1 HM 5W-30 0.856 72.00 12.10 5.09 3.10 166 3.86 0.804

M1 AP 0W-20 0.840 45.69 8.70 3.89 2.60 172 2.89 0.899

M1 AP 5W-20 0.850 48.88 8.20 3.53 2.60 141 2.66 0.979

M1 AP 5W-30 0.851 63.33 11.70 5.09 3.00 183 3.83 0.783

TGMO 0W-20 SN VOA 0.851 36.10 8.50 4.09 2.60 225 3.08 0.844

TGMO 0W-20 SN MSDS 0.851 36.16 8.79 4.27 2.60 236 3.22 0.808

So, I guess the new Mobil 1 AP 5W-30 and the M1 HM 5W-30 would instantly kill the Prius engine because they possibly have even more VII than TGMO 0W-20 SN. And don't even think of running a cheaper synthetic or, God forbid, conventional oil in this extremely low-powered nonturbo engine that runs extremely clean.

And, yes, go ahead and blend your own oil as ExxonMobil has no idea on how to blend oil and, of course, mixing different chemicals don't result in occasional chemical reactions or different types of additives untested to be mixed together will still work after you mix them.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Any 0W-20 or 5W-20 is fine. No need to mix. Problem probably happens in neglected engines. My favorite is TGMO.

Hi Gokhan, what kinds of neglects are you referring to here?
If too long an oci, what is the "maximum safe oci"?

We don't know anything about the history of the problem engines.

Did the owner follow the break-in procedure?
Did the owner do full-throttle takeoffs?
Did the owner race the engine when it was cold?
Was the air filter installed properly?
What kind of fuel was used?
Were any engine repair issues immediately addressed?
Did the owner run long OCIs on conventional 5W-30?
Were mistakes made resulting in underfilling or overfilling the engine oil?

Any of these could greatly harm the engine. One way to make sure these don't happen is that you buy a new car and care for it yourself.

As far as OCI is concerned, it specifies TGMO 0W-20 SN or other full-synthetic equivalent for 10,000 miles or 1 yr, whichever comes first. This should be adequate.

But Exxon Mobil makes TGMO so it is actually quite similar to Mobil 1 to begin with. So it is not two totally separate brands.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I know it's sacrilege, but how about using a 5w20, or even a 5w30? That may slow your consumption.

How about a M1 0/40 before it all this starts? don't fry the engine to save $3.75 a mo. in fuel.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I know Caterham mixes M1 and TGMO so I figured a Amsoil and RLI mix should be just fine.

I'm sure it's "fine," but if you're seeking any of the purported benefits of expensive lubes such as Amsoil or RLI, I would suggest to use them unadulterated, as intended.

Really? This is a ridiculous speculation. ... Can't you see how ridiculous this is? ...
No, I don't. You need to reread what Son of Joe (actual "oil insider") has "speculated" on the effects of heavy VII loading on piston deposits, etc. I know you've seen some of the relevant threads.

... We don't know anything about the history of the problem engines.
Did the owner race the engine when it was cold?
That item from your long list of possible offenses is interesting, because, according to other threads, Honda has blamed owners going WOT while the engine is cold for similar ring-coking and oil consumption problems with certain of their engines.

I know Caterham mixes M1 and TGMO so I figured a Amsoil and RLI mix should be just fine.

*CAUTION CAUTION*
Note... M1 & TGMO are similar base oils & chemistry,
BUT Redline is ester oils & chemistry to suit ester formulations... While Amsoil is entirely different from Redline formula !
PLS BE CAREFUL. thanks!

Originally Posted By: Garak

I'm sure it's "fine," but if you're seeking any of the purported benefits of expensive lubes such as Amsoil or RLI, I would suggest to use them unadulterated, as intended.

+1 , too.

Originally Posted By: fpracha

*CAUTION CAUTION*
Note... M1 & TGMO are similar base oils & chemistry,
BUT Redline is ester oils & chemistry to suit ester formulations... While Amsoil is entirely different from Redline formula !
PLS BE CAREFUL. thanks!

RLI is Renewable Lubricants, I believe they are also a Ester based oil (derived from plants though). I will keep this in mind and consider running this mix of oil for only a few k miles as a "flush" and then start using each product individually without mixing.

If you care about lubrication and possible ring-wear and ring-coking issues in Prius, you might also want to rethink the oil filter. I'm not claiming it has anything to do with it but the Thailand-made Toyota/Denso oil-filter cartridges and canisters have very poor efficiency and filtration -- much worse than any aftermarket oil filter out there. See the discussions in the oil-filter threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back