How to remove spilled engine oil from alternator?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Spilled some new Honda 0w20 oil down the side of the block and onto the alternator on a 2020 Honda CRV 1.5T.

The oil appears to have gone down into the windings, it's hard to see in the photo but about a silver dollar sized splash went into the openings of the alternator, possibly more.

If this were not a new car with only 13k miles I wouldn't care really but it belongs to someone else and I want this done right.

I was thinking of spraying it down with water, but then again it is an alternator and I don't know how water resistant alternators are. I understand degreasers are bad for electrical components which leaves me with an electrical cleaner spray of some sort.

Maybe a combination of a short water burst from a garden hose followed up with electrical cleaner spray?

Alternator Oil.jpg

First I would take it off. Then spray with Brake & Electric Motor cleaner so the oil would wash down away from the center, followed by short blasts of pressurized air. Shouldn't take too much to do. Good Luck!!!

First I would take it off. Then spray with Brake & Electric Motor cleaner so the oil would wash down away from the center, followed by short blasts of pressurized air. Shouldn't take too much to do. Good Luck!!!
I am in no position to remove the alternator unfortunately. Space is cramped and I don’t have all my tools.

I’d like to do the cleaning in place.

I would hose it down with brake clean(like a whole can) and then immediately follow with electronics cleaner before the brake clean has a chance to flash off.

I would spray some simple green on it and let it sit for a couple minutes. Follow up with a really good hose rinse. Get out your weed blower and blow it dry. If no weed blower just start the engine and let it warm up. Lots of people pressure wash their engines and get water on the alternator and they keep going. Personally, I try not to get the alternator wet however it's not going to ruin it with one washing. Water gets splashed up a little every time it rains or if you run through snow or water puddles. Look at the bottom of your hood and you will see on most vehicles they are not brand new looking because water does get splashed up that far.

it's not plastic safe.. I'd rather use something that is plastic safe, who knows what electrical components inside the alternator are plastic.. best to play it safe and still clean any oil out..

it's either leave it alone or clean it with something that leaves no residue, no plastic harm.. that's my take..

crc maf sensor cleaner would work well.. oh wait I said that already lol

here's the other CRC electronics cleaner that's plastic safe, Called QD cleaner

it's not plastic safe.. I'd rather use something that is plastic safe, who knows what electrical components inside the alternator are plastic.. best to play it safe and still clean any oil out..

The product is:

For use on air tools, alternators, battery chargers, bearings, cables, chains, clutches, compressors, dies, electric motors, generators, grinders, motor windings, motors, pumps, solenoids, starters, steel, tools, tools welders and wire rope

It's the same product as used for dry-cleaning clothes (perchloroethylene).There are some plastics (notably, polycarbonate) that this solvent will damage but you won't find them in an alternator or under the hood of a vehicle. (They have neither the strength, the heat resistance, or the chemical resistance to be used there).

EDIT: This product is also non-flammable. I don't think it's a wise course of action to spray a flammable cleaner into an alternator unless the battery is disconnected--the alternator contains live electrical parts otherwise.

Last edited:
Spilled some new Honda 0w20 oil down the side of the block and onto the alternator on a 2020 Honda CRV 1.5T.
about a silver dollar sized splash went into the openings of the alternator, possibly more.
Two choices. Leave it or a good electronic contact cleaner. Easy, and really no harm. Don't sweat it.

I wouldn't do it because of the mess factor of course - but you could pour a pint right there and the alternator wouldn't care. It would just get dirty sticky sooner.

Back