Oil spill cleanup products?

The local thrift store sells bags of t-shirts for $5. They're big black bags and usually 50 to 60 lbs (cotton is surprisingly heavy in bulk)

If you spill a qt + first mop up with old t-shirts. Then use the oilsorb.

Every auto enthusiast's garage should really have an actual oily rag container anyhow. Not just for automotive lubricants but also for rags soaked in stain, acetone (which is essentially non-chlor brake cleaner, too) or other chemicals. It's not really reported in national news but more homes burn down than you'd think because a pile of oily rags lit up.

You can get 'em affordably on Amazon

For pulling oil stains out of concrete/paving stones, I've had great success with Chomp! Pull It Out. It pulled out 6-month old gear oil stains in my driveway's paving stones. I thought I would have to flip the paving stones to remove them but it wasn't necessary. It may take multiple treatments as oil deeper down comes up to the surface after each treatment. It's also possible to burn the oil stains out, I've used a propane torch. The liquid will dry to a dust that you can sweep up.

My local farm store has a cat litter like product that works great. Cheap too. I’ve been meaning to get more.

I want to say $6 a bag or so. Lasts me a couple years.

I never found cat litter a great absorber of oil. Great for water based liquids, but it kinda ignores oils.

BUT yest for a bulk spill, it works in a pinch as a dam then the whole mess can be scooped and bagged in an emergency.

This is better: https://www.amazon.com/Chemsorb-ABSORBENT-SP30GA-L5B-Universal-Pesticides/dp/B07BGCRDCY

This works: https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Concentrate-Floor-Absorbent-Bagged/dp/B00GP57QVU
I used something similar from Home Depot - it works, cat litter(non-clumping) is easier to get at odd hours of the day.

You'd be amazed how well window cleaner will dilute engine oil . Use it for cleaning out pail and other items after O.C.. Also , use it to clean off the oil from the pan and engine during and after the O.C.. Cheap too .

IMG_9739.JPG

Reactions: D60
My garage floor and driveway is textured, porous concrete. I use granular oil absorber. I use a flat piece of board to grind it in. The only issues are it can take a few applications and it can take a while for it to lift the stain out.

That's what I do . Grind it into a powder . Always works for me .
Yeah - on the second pass just do the moonwalk right on the spot - sawdust is good if you keep some after a project - have tossed that in the fire pit …

Back