Oil Change Disaster

I have been changing oil in cars for 45 years, and today was a first.
I'm trying to go through this in my mind to figure out how to avoid this happening again.
Changed the oil on the Ranger in my signature. Drained it like I always do, then went to remove the filter that was on it.
It was a Supertech from WM. As an aside, I had about a dozen of these I bought when they were clearing them out for 75 cents each. About the same time, Meijer was clearing out their Purolator Red OF's for 40 cents each . bought all six of those they had on hand. Had one of the Puros left.
However today, my OC was going to be Formula Shell 5W30, with one of the ST filters.
Filter removal installation is a PITA on these as all that can be done on the top end is loosen/tighten. The old filter has to be accessed through the drivers side wheel well, so basically once one gets their hands in there, they are fundamentally working blind.
Got the old filter out. It is impossible to get the filter out without having old oil all over the place, so there is always drippage during the process.
Get out the new ST filter. It has the gasket on it. Grab one of the quarts of FS, open it up, and lube the gasket. I then reach through the wheel well, get it on the spindle, then hand tighten it. I could feel my finger touch the gasket on the new filter as I am putting it through the wheel well liner. At that point, I focused on getting it on the spindle and hand tightening it. Don't know anything about the gasket after it is on the spindle.
Got it on, and snugged it from above. That is always a fun experience (have a blister on the top of my right hand as a remembrance.) Put the oil in the engine, and look under (see minor drip, but the oil is black, and it is from the OF area.
Get in and start truck. Oil gauge goes to normal. See nothing other than minor drip of black oil from the OF area. Shut off truck and go get cleaned up.
Come out later to move the truck back to the driveway (do the OC's that I do myself in front of the shed in my back yard where all my OC tools, etc are located.
Pull out into the alley behind the house, all is fine. Turn onto the side street and drive to the stop sign. At that point, all H lets loose. Check Gauges light goes on, and oil gauge needle starts going up and down. At that point, I am about 30' from my driveway, so I get in the drive and shut it down quickly.
I look at my drive and oil drips are all over it. I open the hood, and smell the aroma of smoking oil. First thing I do is check to see if the filter is tight. It was fine. Since I could see that the oil was pouring from the OF area, I knew that the OC was going to be a do over, so I went down and got my last Puro Red, and a five quart jug of Citgo Syn Blend. Pull off the ST filter, and can find no gasket anywhere. It was not on the filter, it was not stuck on the engine, I could not feel it around the area inside the fender liner, nor was it on the ground in front of the shed. Future generations may find it when Bubba Truck is sent to the scrap yard.
Drained the sump again. There was probably close to three quarts in it, so I doubt that Bubba was done any harm. Put the Puro on and the five quarts of Citgo in it, started it up, and let it run. Could not detect any leaks. I then put all my OC stuff back into the shed for the second time, got out the oil dry, and proceeded to put about 25 pounds of it down in the driveway.
Stuff like this provides no joy to the pursuit of changing ones oil.

Here is the text above in an easier to digest format:
  • @Tdbo has been changing oil in cars for 45 years.
  • They were changing the oil on their Ranger truck using a Supertech (ST) filter and Formula Shell (FS) 5W30 oil.
  • Filter removal and installation is difficult on this vehicle, requiring access through the wheel well.
  • After installing the new filter, they noticed minor oil drippage from the filter area.
  • When driving later, the Check Engine light came on, and the oil gauge needle started fluctuating.
  • They discovered oil pouring from the oil filter area and realized the gasket was missing.
  • They drained the oil again, replaced the filter with a Purolator Red (Puro) and used Citgo Syn Blend oil.
  • No leaks were detected after starting the engine, but they had to clean up the oil spills on the driveway.

I recently retired a '98 Ranger with the 3.0 engine, so I know the "joy" of changing oil on that vehicle. I always unhooked a battery cable when I did it, because the filter sits so close to the hot cable that's hooked to the starter.
Not sure why you had other problems or why you drained the oil, however.

I have been changing oil in cars for 45 years, and today was a first.
I'm trying to go through this in my mind to figure out how to avoid this happening again.
Changed the oil on the Ranger in my signature. Drained it like I always do, then went to remove the filter that was on it.
It was a Supertech from WM. As an aside, I had about a dozen of these I bought when they were clearing them out for 75 cents each. About the same time, Meijer was clearing out their Purolator Red OF's for 40 cents each . bought all six of those they had on hand. Had one of the Puros left.
However today, my OC was going to be Formula Shell 5W30, with one of the ST filters.
Filter removal installation is a PITA on these as all that can be done on the top end is loosen/tighten. The old filter has to be accessed through the drivers side wheel well, so basically once one gets their hands in there, they are fundamentally working blind.
Got the old filter out. It is impossible to get the filter out without having old oil all over the place, so there is always drippage during the process.
Get out the new ST filter. It has the gasket on it. Grab one of the quarts of FS, open it up, and lube the gasket. I then reach through the wheel well, get it on the spindle, then hand tighten it. I could feel my finger touch the gasket on the new filter as I am putting it through the wheel well liner. At that point, I focused on getting it on the spindle and hand tightening it. Don't know anything about the gasket after it is on the spindle.
Got it on, and snugged it from above. That is always a fun experience (have a blister on the top of my right hand as a remembrance.) Put the oil in the engine, and look under (see minor drip, but the oil is black, and it is from the OF area.
Get in and start truck. Oil gauge goes to normal. See nothing other than minor drip of black oil from the OF area. Shut off truck and go get cleaned up.
Come out later to move the truck back to the driveway (do the OC's that I do myself in front of the shed in my back yard where all my OC tools, etc are located.
Pull out into the alley behind the house, all is fine. Turn onto the side street and drive to the stop sign. At that point, all H lets loose. Check Gauges light goes on, and oil gauge needle starts going up and down. At that point, I am about 30' from my driveway, so I get in the drive and shut it down quickly.
I look at my drive and oil drips are all over it. I open the hood, and smell the aroma of smoking oil. First thing I do is check to see if the filter is tight. It was fine. Since I could see that the oil was pouring from the OF area, I knew that the OC was going to be a do over, so I went down and got my last Puro Red, and a five quart jug of Citgo Syn Blend. Pull off the ST filter, and can find no gasket anywhere. It was not on the filter, it was not stuck on the engine, I could not feel it around the area inside the fender liner, nor was it on the ground in front of the shed. Future generations may find it when Bubba Truck is sent to the scrap yard.
Drained the sump again. There was probably close to three quarts in it, so I doubt that Bubba was done any harm. Put the Puro on and the five quarts of Citgo in it, started it up, and let it run. Could not detect any leaks. I then put all my OC stuff back into the shed for the second time, got out the oil dry, and proceeded to put about 25 pounds of it down in the driveway.
Stuff like this provides no joy to the pursuit of changing ones oil.
Probably double gasket on filter due to the old one stuck to mounting surface on engine when old filter was removed. That would quickly drain the engine oil and happens frequently.

I was working at a shop when I was a kid and someone double gasketed an oil filter on a BMW. Ten minutes later I see a guy standing in the waiting room crying. I peek my head into the hallway to see what’s going on...guy is dressed in a suit, he’s yelling and crying...he reaches into his pocket, pulls out an oil filter (oil is pouring all over him and screams...I just got an oil change here and THIS FELL OUT OF MY CAR!! Cost the shop $8,000 at the time...and they fired everyone. Well, not me because they were only paying me minimum wage, and I wasn’t the one that did it.

Much as I like the Fram XG - it’s dumped several gaskets on the flange - gotta see it in the groove …

Again this is one of those something so simple went awry deals. I had one too and likely been changing oil just as many years, maybe a few less, I was < 10 when I began.

Anyway, the filter (PF63 or long) is in the way of the AC charge port. So I removed it, kept most of the oil in the filter (this was < 500 miles since last change), put the coupler in, hand tightened, added about 1/4 quart to the engine. Did the AC charge.

Now, I went to take it off to get the coupler off--not only was the filter hot, but it would not spin, and there was no way to get any kind of wrench, end cap, nor strap, on it. Because nothing could not clear the AC coupler, there's no gap, it's basically touching. My suspicion is the engine had a PF48 or short filter from 2007-2010 and that's why the PF63 is in the way. I went to town using Channellocks and was afraid I was not going to be able to get the filter off. NUTS. I have since bought some PF48 stubby filters just in case I ever need to recharge again (obviously engine needs to run in order to charge an AC system). We give GM so many passes for what they do, I doubt I would ever buy another product although I'm a fanboy...

So what was the root cause of the leak?

Apparently the gasket fell off the new filter during the process of getting it up under the fender liner.
I know that it had one because I oiled it and made sure that it was seated on the filter.
Guess that during the course of lining it up on the spindle, it came off.
I went out and retrieved the old filter out of the trash. It only had one gasket on it.
However, still haven't found the gasket off the second filter.

At that point, I was frankly so frustrated and tired that I didn't want to figure out how much make up oil I needed.
It was just easier to do what I did.
If only that vehicle had a dipstick to check the level....

Back