Never Change Oil - Delvac Challenge

250k mile mark, changed filter and topped off with 1 quart, 8 Sep 2023. Miles since last oil change ~18,400. Will only top off with oil until 260k mile filter change. The challenge continues.
Fantastic post!! I think this is really important. How much effort and money is needed to really drive a car during it’s expected lifespan?? Also think of the environmental savings. Good on ya!’

The engines in the Prius are updated versions of the 1.5 that used to be in the Tercel then Echo.
You literally cannot kill these through lack of maintenance - I’ve seen so, so many run repeatedly with little oil in them, and they just keep going.
With top off and filter changes the engine will NEVER fail. Never.

I like it.
We need to settle back for a bit. This could take a while.......
Unless something else fails first, this car will be well into the 300's before it dies.
:)

The engines in the Prius are updated versions of the 1.5 that used to be in the Tercel then Echo.
You literally cannot kill these through lack of maintenance - I’ve seen so, so many run repeatedly with little oil in them, and they just keep going.
With top off and filter changes the engine will NEVER fail. Never.
His wife won't like that!!!

What made you go with 5w 40 delvac in a Prius ?
It's an approved viscosity in the owner's manuals of gen 2s everywhere except in the US, despite having the same engine. I've been using 5w40 for years cause it quieted down a little piston slap the old girl has. Chose the delvac 1 for no real reason other than I already had 5 gallons in the garage.

Good job ckinch of making up your mind and sticking to your plan. Too many times the professional 2nd guessers love to pile in and tell OP's how "wrong" they are. I guess taking a counterpoint is just what some have to do. I applaud your rational, thoughtful test. Like you said, very low risk loss wise. Keep up the updates. Good info.

I know I've seen old discussions regarding this but I'm not sure it's ever been executed. I have a 2006 Prius that's about to roll over 240k miles within the next month. This car is basically completed depreciated out, the paint is burnt off, and the undercarriage/body has a fair amount of rust. However, mechanically the runs like a top.

At the upcoming oil change (240k mark) I'm going to put in 4 Quarts of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 and a Supertech Filter, which is what this vehicle has been using for some time. From that point on I'm going to change the filter every 10k miles and top-off with Mobil Delvac 1 as needed (Generally I burn a quart every 5k miles).

I will update this thread as the experiment progresses, I really have no idea how long the old girl will hold out. I will drive this vehicle until death at which point I'll replace the car. The wife hates my old beater Prius that just wont die, so she has endorsed this plan. I'm confident I can get at least 100k more miles out of her, feel free to throw down prognostications.
Obviously it's your vehicle, and it is an interesting experiment.

The experiment I usually take with older vehicles is to maintain them really well to see if I can reach the 300k mile mark.
If I can reach 300k, set goal for 400k, or even 500k. A prerequisite for this approach is to keep the body really in like new condition,
so that car looks presentable and even like a new car to someone without knowledge of the car models generations.

Last edited:
Good job ckinch of making up your mind and sticking to your plan. Too many times the professional 2nd guessers love to pile in and tell OP's how "wrong" they are. I guess taking a counterpoint is just what some have to do. I applaud your rational, thoughtful test. Like you said, very low risk loss wise. Keep up the updates. Good info.
Thanks! I honestly don't think I'm destroying the vehicle. This experiment should continue longer than some are thinking. Next filter change I'll try and capture enough oil to send off to Blackstone. That'll be ~3 years and 28,000 plus miles since the last time the drain plug was removed.

Total oil replaced per year so far is just shy of 2 quarts due to some burning off and losing some with the filter change. So yes, I'm replacing effectively 100% of the oil every 2 years just from attrition as others have stated.

See y'all again in 5,000 miles for the next oil top off.

Haven't been driving as much lately so I went ahead and topped off at the 2500 mile mark. At 252,500 miles now, oil not changed in ~20,900 miles. Took a little less than a half quart to top off, otherwise everything still going fine

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_111329323_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240103_111329323_HDR.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240103_111355010.jpg
    IMG_20240103_111355010.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 39
I know I've seen old discussions regarding this but I'm not sure it's ever been executed. I have a 2006 Prius that's about to roll over 240k miles within the next month. This car is basically completed depreciated out, the paint is burnt off, and the undercarriage/body has a fair amount of rust. However, mechanically the runs like a top.

At the upcoming oil change (240k mark) I'm going to put in 4 Quarts of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 and a Supertech Filter, which is what this vehicle has been using for some time. From that point on I'm going to change the filter every 10k miles and top-off with Mobil Delvac 1 as needed (Generally I burn a quart every 5k miles).

I will update this thread as the experiment progresses, I really have no idea how long the old girl will hold out. I will drive this vehicle until death at which point I'll replace the car. The wife hates my old beater Prius that just wont die, so she has endorsed this plan. I'm confident I can get at least 100k more miles out of her, feel free to throw down prognostications.
Why treat a car so good and then so poorly?
This is dumb

Back