Mobil Delvac 1 vs Mobil 1 SuperSyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '01 Trooper is currently on its second OCI with Mobil 1 0W-40. The first run's UOA showed pretty good wear for 6000 winter-thru-spring miles. Before the M1 0-40 I ran M1 5-30 and it also showed good wear in a UOA. I posted these here a few weeks ago. Before the M1, I used to use whatever oil was on sale (this is before I found this site and got into oil). But I have never noticed any difference in the way the car runs, it always runs very nice and smooth and quiet.

After this second run with M1 0-40 I'm thinking of trying a few runs with various Pennzoils with UOAs to see how they work. Maybe 5-30 in winter and then 10-30, or 10-40 or even 15-40 Long Life in the summer.

My '01 Trooper also uses a little bit of oil. Approx. a third to a half quart in 3000 miles. My other car, a '93 Camry wagon doesn't use anything between changes and it has over 160,000 miles.

I was wondering what oil would be better to run in an engine that burns a little. I may post seperately for that question.

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:
... Unfortunately, I am not sure 15W50 will be good for the Colorado winter we are heading into... so, I drained a quart out and added a quart of Mobil 1 0W40.

Curtis,

I think you're fine with what you've got in there now. Last year I put M1 15W-50 in my car just before those three weeks of sub-freezing weather we had in October, & then it went thru those few weeks of sub-zero temps we had in February. It was always garaged overnite, so the lowest starting temp it saw was around 12°F after sitting in the parking lot all day. It always started up fine with straight 15W-50.

But I will admit, I was a little worried all winter long. I've still got that same batch of oil in the car, & I've been topping up with M1 10W-30 & Saab semi-syn 5W-30 (but so far only about 8oz worth, compared to your 1qt swap), so this winter should be even less of a concern for me.

If you didn't want to mess with mixing, then I agree with CJH: a Grp3 or Grp4 5W-40 diesel oil would be a good year-round choice if it keeps consumption low (I think you want to keep all the extra additives out of your catalytic converter). Otherwise, I think a winter mix using M1 15W-50 & M1 0W-40 (or 0W-30) is a good idea.

To answer a few questions noted above regarding our 1998 Isuzu Trooper (3.5L V6).

1) Yes, I am using the Fram Sure Drain; really like the product. I don't use their filters, however..:) I use either PureOne or Honda/Isuzu OEM filters.

2) I use an interval of 5,000 miles with Mobil 1 and have since we purchased the vehicle new back in May 1998. I rotate the tires and change the oil at the same time; 5K makes it easy for me to manage.

3) I just drove another 700 miles today (with the M1 15W50 and M1 0W40 mixture) and upon returning home to Colorado, the dipstick is right on full.

In summary, I just drove over 1300 miles this past week (running between 78-82mph most of the trip) and it would have normally consumed at least 1 quart of M1 10W30 during this trip; with this mixture, it didn't use a drop.

I am sold. In the future I will probably start running 2 qts of M1 0W40 and 3 qts of M1 15W50 to give me a rough mixture of 9W46 (give or take..:). Should be heavy enough to help with the consumption issue and light enough for the Colorado winter. I asked Mobil and they said mixing different viscosities was not a problem at all.

BTW, I have been mixing Pennzoil 10W30 and 5W30 in our 88 Camry for years...the car is getting ready to turn 300,000 miles by the end of the year and it still running strong.

quote:

*-*-*-*-*-*-

BTW, I have been mixing Pennzoil 10W30 and 5W30 in our 88 Camry for years...the car is getting ready to turn 300,000 miles by the end of the year and it still running strong.

how much does she burn?

Regarding our 1988 Camry, it doesn't burn a drop in a 3,000 mile oil change. The car has been absolutely amazing. Original engine & tranny. Multiple timing belts, brakes, struts, tires, etc, however.

For oil burners just throw in a can of STP oil treatment, it is about the only thing it is good for.

quote:

Regarding our 1988 Camry, it doesn't burn a drop in a 3,000 mile oil change. The car has been absolutely amazing. Original engine & tranny. Multiple timing belts, brakes, struts, tires, etc, however.

Yup. That's how they all are.
The best thing about it I like is that after the third time or so, YOU usually know FOR SURE when it's gonna go out again.

From Mobil's TECH Q&A:

quote:

Mobil 1 vs. Mobil Delvac 1® for a Gasoline Engine

I have read on the Internet that Mobil Delvac 1 oils may provide better performance in high-performance passenger-car engines than regular Mobil 1, since they meet CF-4 specs. What about using Delvac in gasoline engines, especially high-performance engines?

-- "Tribological", Richmond, VA

Mobil 1 formulas will deliver everything you need for your gasoline engine. In fact, during development, tests are run in both gasoline and diesel engines to demonstrate the superior performance of Mobil 1. Mobil Delvac 1, which is designed for heavy-duty diesels, meets most diesel engine oil specifications, and also meets API SL certification. And because Delvac 1 operates in a different environment – diesel engines run longer, generate soot and run hotter, it contains different types and amounts of additives than Mobil 1. Even so, Delvac 1 still meets API SL certification for gasoline engines, and because of its high performance, we would expect it to do a good job of protecting your gasoline engine. If you use your gasoline vehicle in "heavy-duty" service, Delvac 1 will provide many benefits compared to conventional oils. When compared to Mobil 1 performance, those benefits may not be as obvious, and in fact, Mobil 1 would be expected to outperform Delvac 1 in many gasoline applications.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
From Mobil's TECH Q&A:

quote:

Mobil 1 vs. Mobil Delvac 1® for a Gasoline Engine

If you use your gasoline vehicle in "heavy-duty" service, Delvac 1 will provide many benefits compared to conventional oils. When compared to Mobil 1 performance, those benefits may not be as obvious , and in fact, Mobil 1 would be expected to outperform Delvac 1 in many gasoline applications.

Kinda' wushy-washy isn't it?

Curtis I have a 2000 Trooper with some oil issues (1qt per 3k though). Your manual only states to use an SJ rated oil. That is all it says, so that leaves you with a lot of options. In mine I use a mix of 4qts 10w-30 and 1qt 15w-50. Now if it was worse I would use a mix of 3qts 10-30 and 2 qts 15-50. In Colorado you could substitute the 5-30 for the 10-30. Top up with the 15-50 as needed. In Gastonia we have one of the 5 best Isuzu techs in the nation and hes says to run Mobil 1, that it quiets the engine, and contrary to whaat I read on here it does. So I would use the Mobil 1 oils, if it were me. Rotella T 5-40 may be an option if you dont like mixing you own brew.

in my 98 ford f150 (4.6 sohc v8)

The book recommends 5w30, and ford has re-speced this motor for 5w20 oil changes.

I am currently running 0w30 german castrol, and will run it 5k miles and take a a UOA. It doesn't burn a drop of 0w30. I am going to discontinue use of the GC only because I can not find it readily, and i'm tired of hunting for it.

My next oil change is going to be 5w40 mobil 1 truck and suv. (Delvac 1).

Right on the mobil1.com page, they say that 5w40 truck and suv is good for any vehicle with recommendations of 5w30 or 10w30 (outside of warranty of course)

Mobil1 has the reputation of an excellent motor oil, but it is somewhat thin, and shears a bit.

Could truck and suv be the holy grail of mobil1? Even though it is a "40" weight, does it shear to a 30 weight?

JH

We have a '99 Trooper. Have used Mobil 1 in 5w- or 10w- 30 since about 3K miles.

The oil usage issue is quite a buz the days over on the Isuzu groups.

My experience is this: 1) oil use increases dramatically with older air filters, clogged PCV, or clogged EGR tube (take off throttle body and you'll see a tube about 3/8" in diameter). Out of spec crankcase vacuum must aggravate oil consumption. The clogging up shows up in consumption around 60K miles. 2) synthetics' reduced volatility helps.

High speed driving (constant high rpm) affects it also. On a trip to Colorado I burned a quart off in about 1K miles. However put new air filter in, topped up oil, and used none on the way back.

Overall we use about 1/3 quart in 4K miles in usual city driving with clean breathing.

In the UK Isuzu recommends 10w-40 for the 3.2L, the basis for the 3.5L. It could be that the engineers assumed a thicker viscosity when they designed the oil control ring spec - the root cause for the usage issue according to the techs on the Isuzu newsgroups.

I am going to change to Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 and see how it goes on a big trip this summer.

Edit: per VaderSS.

[ June 22, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Geoff ]

quote:

On a trip to Colorado I burned a quart off in about 1000K miles.

WOW! Only one quart in a million miles? And WOW what a long trip!
wink.gif

I often notice a large amount of initial consumption during trips in cars that are usually only city driven. My cars make trips at least once a month though, and actually use less on trips.

A few years ago I noticed increased oil usage in my '90 Mazda 626 at about 115 thou. (3000 miles/qt, vs. 7000/qt at 80-90 thou.) I had been using Mobil 1 15-50 summers and 10-30 winters since 3000 miles old. I switched to diesel spec oils,(now using Delvac 5-40) and I presume it cleaned up some minor ring sludge, because my oil use improved to the old figure, about one qt per 6000-7000.
smile.gif

I totalled the Trooper late last Fall, so I can no longer tell whether or not the mixture is good for the engine. At last glance, oil use was significantly reduced with the Mobil 1 15W50.

However, while running the Mobil 1 15W50, I did notice the engine started making a ticking noise, particularly at idle. This was after a trip from Colorado to Kansas and back.

The ticking noise was very, very annoying, but not the reason I totalled the rig.
smile.gif

Just FYI, I replaced it with an '04 Lexus RX330; no oil consumptions on this rig..;-) Will be running Castrol Syntec blend at 5,000 intervals with Toyota OEM filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back