Never Change Oil - Delvac Challenge

A lot can happen in five years, I doubt we'll see all the updates. Odds are something else will take it to the junkyard, like a transmission failure. Or with the rot described, that could very well render it unsafe to drive in less than five years, and not worth repairing.

Change of plans. My mechanic friend took a look at the underside and says many of the bolts are already corroded over, future repairs will be difficult and pricey. It also goes all the way around the underside of the body panels but I just took a picture where it ate all the way through. The final oil change was done 7700 miles ago, the challenge has already begun.

Attachments

• 20220802_161135.jpg
    20220802_161135.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 20220802_161046.jpg
    20220802_161046.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 20220802_161020.jpg
    20220802_161020.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20220802_154918.jpg
    20220802_154918.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220802_154757.jpg
    20220802_154757.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 190
i don't see that rust being that bad for the age of the vehicle....Nebraska does not get that much snow, especially in Lincoln or Omaha areas. yes west of north platte a couple blizzards but then its 50....seems like a waste to me....but hey have at it....

I have seen a lot worse rust than that under cars from Nebraska. I think your mechanic just doesn't want to work on it. I would do what ARCO said.

Reactions: wlk
i don't see that rust being that bad for the age of the vehicle....Nebraska does not get that much snow, especially in Lincoln or Omaha areas. yes west of north platte a couple blizzards but then its 50....seems like a waste to me....but hey have at it....
We may or may not get a lot of snow, depending on the year, but they use a LOT of salt, especially in Omaha.

I know I've seen old discussions regarding this but I'm not sure it's ever been executed. I have a 2006 Prius that's about to roll over 240k miles within the next month. This car is basically completed depreciated out, the paint is burnt off, and the undercarriage/body has a fair amount of rust. However, mechanically the runs like a top.

At the upcoming oil change (240k mark) I'm going to put in 4 Quarts of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 and a Supertech Filter, which is what this vehicle has been using for some time. From that point on I'm going to change the filter every 10k miles and top-off with Mobil Delvac 1 as needed (Generally I burn a quart every 5k miles).

I will update this thread as the experiment progresses, I really have no idea how long the old girl will hold out. I will drive this vehicle until death at which point I'll replace the car. The wife hates my old beater Prius that just wont die, so she has endorsed this plan. I'm confident I can get at least 100k more miles out of her, feel free to throw down prognostications.
Why?
Oil is recycled when you bring it into a proper return center.

I know I've seen old discussions regarding this but I'm not sure it's ever been executed. I have a 2006 Prius that's about to roll over 240k miles within the next month. This car is basically completed depreciated out, the paint is burnt off, and the undercarriage/body has a fair amount of rust. However, mechanically the runs like a top.

At the upcoming oil change (240k mark) I'm going to put in 4 Quarts of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 and a Supertech Filter, which is what this vehicle has been using for some time. From that point on I'm going to change the filter every 10k miles and top-off with Mobil Delvac 1 as needed (Generally I burn a quart every 5k miles).

I will update this thread as the experiment progresses, I really have no idea how long the old girl will hold out. I will drive this vehicle until death at which point I'll replace the car. The wife hates my old beater Prius that just wont die, so she has endorsed this plan. I'm confident I can get at least 100k more miles out of her, feel free to throw down prognostications.
I’ve seen a number of threads like this over the years and the common “thread” is that nobody ever follows through. I’ve yet to see one where it happens or we get any updates.

Quick update. Changed filter only and topped off oil at 240k on 23 Aug 22. Just rolled over 245k on 15 March 23, topped off oil (about 3/4 of a quart). Currently at 13,390 since last oil change. I realize some on here do 20k intervals on the regular so this journey has just begun.

Back