22 G63 AMG already burned 1qt of oil on first 1000 miles?

If you are at 1k miles now I would watch the oil level and not baby it. If you have manual mode occasionally decelerate using engine braking. My hunch is consumption will decrease.

Can be totally normal on a new German car. Drive it.
years ago Porsche said like 3 qts normal, and BMW joined in. The weird thing is many of us have thought, how can that be normal....and no we don't know more than the folks who designed the engine, just applying previous ownership experience

years ago Porsche said like 3 qts normal, and BMW joined in. The weird thing is many of us have thought, how can that be normal....and no we don't know more than the folks who designed the engine, just applying previous ownership experience
Worrying about this when it's new isn't of value (to me) - things haven't "bedded in" in yet and losing some oil (to me again) can be quite normal..I've seen on several of my VWs that zero consumption after a few oil changes.. Give it a few oil changes to see if the consumption drops off...that is the more likely scenario here.

Totally normal. You need to drive it harder and get the engine hot. The dealer should have told you about this. If something is wrong, its 100% covered. Drive with confidence

I thought there was a very limited window of time you could seat the rings? 1k miles seems way past that window.

I read somewhere that the first 50 miles or so are crucial for this to occur.

You need to absolutely hammer on it right now in an attempt to seat the rings.
People throw out that term all the time.What does that even mean? The rings are already seated in the pistons when the engine is assembled. The sliding surface of the rings wears off microscopic peaks of metal in the cylinder wall during break-in. If that's what "seating" means here, it's a bit confusing.

I had an Integra GS-R that I bought new back in the day, drove real easy for 500 miles, then just ripped on it from there on out. It would consume about .5-1qt every 3k miles or so, until magically around 18k miles, it stopped consuming any oil.

My first S2000 that I bought new, consumed oil until around 8-12k miles, then stopped.

Go out and drive the piss out of it to get it properly broken in.

People throw out that term all the time.What does that even mean? The rings are already seated in the pistons when the engine is assembled. The sliding surface of the rings wears off microscopic peaks of metal in the cylinder wall during break-in. If that's what "seating" means here, it's a bit confusing.
I took bad advice on bedding brakes. I guess that's shame on me for thinking well it's on the internet, must be right. I did my BMW brakes myself, all OE rotors and pads, and when I followed the process for bedding, my new rotors were glowing orange.

Another person on the forum said, hey genius, you bought your car new, right? Did you happen ro read the hang tag on the rearview saying to go easy on the brakes for the first 1000 km?

DOH. :mad:

Aren't these engines hand assembled, broken in, then dyno tested before being shipped out to the dealers???

I thought all Amg and Brabus engines are, or am I mistaken???

That's a turbo engine. Break in should have occurred way sooner than a aspirated motor.

Top it off, find you a hill, get into boost. Let that ***** eat, then let off and coast. Repeat.

If it still consumes oil at 2-3 k, I'd have a talk with someone.

From the 2022 MB G Series Owner's Manual:

2022 MB G Series Owner's Manual.jpg

Back