Price of fuel is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the 70’s.

Drive less.
Consolidate trips.

Electricity and natural gas are going up too. Back in the 70’s that prompted the rush to burn wood. Wood stove sales skyrocketed.

Wear a sweater or coat. 66 degrees inside. You won’t die.

Reduce spending in other areas to compensate for increased prices. Eating cheaper. Go out less. It’s called consumer defensive spending.

You will be risking your life if you need to get that thing up on the highway. Wasn't its 0 to 60 time measured on a calendar?
My post was slightly in jest, but it was factual. I live in a rural area where's there's only about 3,000 in my whole county, so it's not like I'm worried about city traffic. But, yea, hitting a deer with that thing could have a fatality count of two.

Im paying over $4.10 a gallon and THANKFUL that I can get it. I’m old and well remember the gas shortage of 1973 and again in 1979. You could have a pocket full of money but no gas to buy. (Younger people either don’t remember or don’t know about the shortage in those two years).

Correct. Youngsters don’t even know what happened back then. The unluckiest people were those who waiting in line for their ten gallon purchase only to be told before they got to the pumps that the station had ran out.

Canada has things in common with CA
There are other things you get in Canada with your outrageous taxes that are not provided by our government-until you turn 65 here. That's about as "a-political" I can get. Why do people from your country have such a hard time understanding this? There is no free ride.

About 15 years ago, I bought a Chevy Chevette 5-speed with the factory diesel engine from your great state :LOL: of California. I think these cars were rated at close to 60 mpg by the epa's branch of our government. (We can believe our government, can't we?) I parked it in my shed and never really drove it. I've been thinking about getting it back out into the sunshine again and driving it, except...well,....it's a Chevette. That, and I'm 6'6". The way fuel prices are going up, maybe I'll have to. Or should I sell it back to you so California can enjoy it again? :cool:
A good friend of mine always had those. Only problem was the injection pump. Cost more than buying another diesel chevette

My buddy who lives near Kitchener Ontario paying CDN$1.65 a liter.
(He feels sorry for us in USA paying such “high” prices).

Got a Pick Up (Ute), SUV or other gas guzzler?Just pay the price.

Im paying over $4.10 a gallon and THANKFUL that I can get it. I’m old and well remember the gas shortage of 1973 and again in 1979. You could have a pocket full of money but no gas to buy. (Younger people either don’t remember or don’t know about the shortage in those two years).

Again, BE THANKFUL THERE IS NO SHORTAGE, and that you can buy as much as you want.

even though i make 162k a year, i live a very frugal life. i drive a car that averages 8 liter to 100 kilometers. never had any ideas of grandeur. served twice as a blue helmet during the bosnian wars 93-95. i know what is shortage and misery. war has taught me to be humble and respectful. i am simply worried that soon, many people in canada will live in poverty at the rate inflation is going. gas prices d'ont affect me that much. but they are affecting millions of canadians. and that is what bother me. sorry if my english is not perfect. i learned english watching tv and reading musclecars magazines in the early eighties and at military school in st jean sur richelieu in 1990.

When the price gulf gets that large, you have to ask yourself why it's cheaper. I know I would be looking into that if Costco was on my list of nearby stations.
1) real estate, 2) labor cost, 3) economy of scale (costco pump run non stop vs rural gas station run maybe once every 15 mins).

Also costco can afford to lose money on gas like they do on $5 roast chicken, mom and pop gas station cannot.

Costco @ SoCal, are you ready for the long lines?

Sorry, this is Syracuse, NY. Tustin, SoCal isn't much better. With 3 islands, more than 20 pumps.
Those folks aren't the brightest. I'm all for saving money but waiting in those lines isn't worth it besides the fuel (and time) they're wasting.

Unfortunately, that's nothing we can do other than 1) find a job paying more, 2) find a job closer to home. If you think gas is expensive I think the bigger problem is rent or mortgage.
Not so for folks that drive many miles like I do. I am not compensated for any of my travel expenses. So a FL-PA trip of 1354 miles each way has gotten stupidly expensive. It is over $300 in fuel now, each way. It's not unusual to consume $500, $600 or even $700 worth of fuel in a busy week.

Even when I'm local, I may burn up a tank a day running to 3 different airports. That's over $100 now.

My mortgage was $1400. My fuel bill for all my vehicles, including my airplane can easily top $2000 per month. To say nothing of constant oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. I've got 3ea 55 gal drums full of Mobil 1, waste motor oil outside right now. Time to call Ricky's oil service...

A few fitting lyrics:

One, something's got to give
Two, something's got to give
Three, something's got to give now

WTI went to $92 a barrel on Friday. Expect vastly increased gasoline and diesel prices......

Word on the street is ... .WTI will go to $150 a barrel... which means pump prices are 40-60% higher.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Reduce spending in other areas to compensate for increased prices. Eating cheaper. Go out less. It’s called consumer defensive spending.
Thinking of blanking off the oil filter mount and not using an oil filter since they don't really matter anyway. Then I can buy one more gallon of gas per year. :ROFLMAO:

Thinking of blanking off the oil filter mount and not using an oil filter since they don't really matter anyway. Then I can buy one more gallon of gas per year. :ROFLMAO:
You're overthinking it, just go longer between oil changes and not do a thing.

You're overthinking it, just go longer between oil changes and not do a thing.
It was an inside joke/sarcasm. But seriously, if gas, oil and everything else keeps going up people will start looking harder on how to minimize the cost of maintenance.

It was an inside joke/sarcasm. But seriously, if gas, oil and everything else keeps going up people will start looking harder on how to minimize the cost of maintenance.
Yeah, I knew it was a joke. Going longer between oil changes is also just as scary for some people.

They need to start calculating emissions on electric cars based on the components going into the battery/car/local power source.
That's been done. Including all battery sourcing emissions, building the car, and the pollution from the power source to charge the car, the breakeven point is under 20k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back