Insane motel room prices

I remember when Motel 6 was $6.95 per night and they were clean. If a business gets the price they want and have the same amount of sales the price is good.

For some perspective, these 80-room, 2 and 3 star, Comfort Inn, America’s Best type places in the middle of nowhere are selling for $4-6MM. They get about 40-60% occupancy over the course of a year.

The $100-$120/night goes to the corporate entity as part of the operating agreement, debt service, staff, supplies, breakfast buffet, capital expenditure for wear and tear and remodeling, utilities and hopefully a profit for the owner after it’s all said and done.

Many of the owners are foreigners and live in a unit to try and save costs. It’s not a life I’d want but probably beats where they moved from.

I remember when Motel 6 was $6.95 per night and they were clean. If a business gets the price they want and have the same amount of sales the price is good.
Wow I don’t remember any price close to that. $35 is the lowest…

In 1999–the cheapest rental car at PHL was $12.95. That I remember…

before my time, but yep, that's where Motel 6 and Super 8 got their names....$6/night, and $8/night.

Motel 6 actually cost $6 per night when they started out. I remember staying at one in Ogden UT for that price in about 1974. Later their prices went up, obviously.

For some perspective, these 80-room, 2 and 3 star, Comfort Inn, America’s Best type places in the middle of nowhere are selling for $4-6MM. They get about 40-60% occupancy over the course of a year.

The $100-$120/night goes to the corporate entity as part of the operating agreement, debt service, staff, supplies, breakfast buffet, capital expenditure for wear and tear and remodeling, utilities and hopefully a profit for the owner after it’s all said and done.

Many of the owners are foreigners and live in a unit to try and save costs. It’s not a life I’d want but probably beats where they moved from.

I was at a Staybridge for a few days in Texas and I noticed the owner / family was living at the hotel.

I can understand why they don’t want to buy a house and have more expenses.

Last edited:
Checked into the Grand Hyatt at DFW earlier, it is a bit north of $200 but south of $300. We did get an upgraded room for being Globalist, but even the regular room would be very nice for a price tag in the $200's. Continue on to Seoul with American in the morning, the flight from PHX to DFW was very enjoyable as is my usual experience with AA. That shower with eight shower heads spraying on you is AMAZING!

btzVrWC.jpg

NpFhgKb.jpg

KsZ3Hj6.jpg

WkPgVH4.jpg

I would call that a suite, not an upgraded room.

I'm finding lots of these types of places that aren't part of a big franchise, but get good reviews are the way to go for cheap decent accommodations.
Having the big franchise sign out front seems to add $20-50/night, and most independent ones don't do a hot breakfast buffet which is a good way to save money, as they are usually not great anyways. A fridge and a microwave is all we need.

Last five hotels I've stayed in (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, KCI airport, Blue Springs, MO) averaged $95 per night with much of that taxes and resort fees. Priceline Gold and some blind bookings 2-3.5 stars, most with free breakfast. Try to avoid resort areas until kids are back in school. I'm sure the Black Hills would have been far higher had this been August rather than late September, early October.

Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
777 Harrah's Blvd
Atlantic City, NJ 08401

Room Type: Coastal Tower | Luxury | 1 King | Non-Smoking

Check In Date: 12/XX/2023
Check Out Date: 12/XX/2023 -> 2 days later
Number of Rooms: 1
Adults: 2
Subtotal: $66.60 (33.30/night)
Resort/Other Fees: $69.98 (notice resort fees > room charge)
Taxes: $17.79
Room Total: $154.37

Add $10 for parking and $20 to use the adult only pool (because resort fees don't cover that, naturally) and it's still $184.37 + food.

What's funny about the secret rates....a contractor told me he tries them, and chooses the cheapest. I am only repeating what he told me....AAA, IBM, MMM, on and on. I'm sure these are on the web.

There is no need for me to do that since all our travel must go through SAP Concur. I think those secret rates are about as mysterious as a rock auto 5% discount code :ROFLMAO:
I have a "sister" who works for Marriott. Her "employee" rate either exist and is really a great deal (i.e. $100/night in a place that usually charge $250) or the demand is high enough that they won't work during those nights there, and their "family" rate is not any better than a competitor on Hotels.com with discount. To get on those employee rates you have to ask the employee to sign a form with the boss to add you on the account, not just a "code" you email to your buddy.

Exactly, most people have no idea how much it cost to run a hotel that is no guarantee on vacancy rate.

It is also very hard to get house keepers at a good wage these days, and maintenance, and chefs, and food, and interest rates just went up. $120 is not the same $120 10 years ago. A lot of former Holiday Inns -> Crown Plaza have turned into no name hotels to keep cost low.

Reactions: Pew
Wow I don’t remember any price close to that. $35 is the lowest…

In 1999–the cheapest rental car at PHL was $12.95. That I remember…
In 1995 a lunch of the day can be $5. Now it is likely $20. Come on there's no point looking back. No way would Chevron and Shell dino be sold for 29c/qt after rebates today.

Back