What is the best way to search for and book motel reservations?

Call the hotel directly. Not their 800-number that goes to a national call center, find the local # and call them. If you are lucky and get a manager, you can even negotiate (a little). Ask for his/her best rate or a discount. They have a number they can't go below but anything above that counts as a booked room and that's probably what they're judged on the most.

As someone who worked for a large hotel chain, the town can make a huge. If it's a college town and it's football season and the college is known for being good at football drive a little further on. This applies to a lot of sports in general. Every year Cheyenne Wyoming has Cheyenne Frontier Days. If you end up there during that time expect 2-3 times the normal rate if there are any rooms left.

There are a lot of factors that go into determining the quality of a motel, bro. The expertise of the staff, the reliability of the operation, and the safety of the hotel service are all key considerations. Another important consideration is the potential of a comfortable stay inside the motel's confines. For example, I like it when the rooms have a mini-bar, so when choosing accommodation near me, I looked necessarily its presence. Also, don't overlook the value of the motel's location it's critical that you have a good time.

I just book through the hotel website. I have a few chains I try to stay at where I can earn airline points by staying there, as well as a few I avoid because I can't earn airline points there (every little bit helps with airline points!). I am a Best Western Gold member so in addition to airline points I also get Best Western points, which eventually add up to free rooms. Takes awhile though (but faster than they do for non-Gold members).

This most likely wont help but you just need to be aware of the booking requirements of ANY website and their cancellation policy.
Its really quite simple. Even hotels, motels have rates that are specials and cant not be cancelled without penalty, same goes with websites.
As well and condo rentals ect.
Anytime you are about to book, look at the cancellation policy first. I dont know but we never had a problem with any of the above.

This most likely wont help but you just need to be aware of the booking requirements of ANY website and their cancellation policy.
Its really quite simple. Even hotels, motels have rates that are specials and cant not be cancelled without penalty, same goes with websites
+2

Sometimes the special rates can't be cancelled..... And sometimes they can't be cancelled on the actual day of the reservation. Example: A Saturday night reservation can't be cancelled on Saturday; the deadline to cancel might have expired on Friday evening.

If it sounds like this is something I learned the hard way, that's because it is! LOL

The places like Expedia are good for getting a good discount when booking multiple pieces of a vacation. Like airplane and hotel.

But if all you need is a hotel then it's probably better to go right to hotel company website.

The Marriott website for reservations is top notch. Runs under TPF on an IBM z15 mainframe.

Last edited:
Use a site like Hotels.com and find a couple hotels you like, say it's a Best Western that seems like it's a good deal.

Then go to BestWestern.com and find the room, sometimes it's the same price or within a couple bucks, book through them directly if the price is reasonably close. Then your reservation is directly with them and not a 3rd party.

IHG.com is the parent company of lots of hotels, their site is good. So is Wyndham.
Sometimes going through hotels .com is the same price as booking direct, but you can take advantage of 9 nights paid and your 10th one is free if you use them that much.

Sometimes going through hotels .com is the same price as booking direct, but you can take advantage of 9 nights paid and your 10th one is free if you use them that much.
The thing is, if there's a problem with the reservation like they overbooked or something, the hotel can't do anything to help you. You have to deal with the crappy hotels.com customer service.

Booking direct with the hotel they treat you well. Same with flights. I flew to Oregon a few years ago and found the flight on Orbitz, went to American Airlines and booked the same flight for the same price direct.

The places like Expedia are good for getting a good discount when booking multiple pieces of a vacation. Like airplane and hotel.

But if all you need is a hotel then it's probably better to go right to hotel company website.

The Marriott website for reservations is top notch. Runs under TPF on an IBM z15 mainframe.

I like looking through the online travel agencies and hotel booking sites in order to get an overview of what's available. I've even booked a few hotels where I literally couldn't book through a corporate or individual hotel website since they only booked online through OTAs.

However, my preference is to then check the corporate website, and especially see what discounts I can get, like maybe advance purchase or AAA discount.

The thing is, if there's a problem with the reservation like they overbooked or something, the hotel can't do anything to help you. You have to deal with the crappy hotels.com customer service.

Booking direct with the hotel they treat you well. Same with flights. I flew to Oregon a few years ago and found the flight on Orbitz, went to American Airlines and booked the same flight for the same price direct.
I can understand that. Think once I asked for like 2 queens instead of 1 king and sofa bed and they couldn’t do it and kinda acted snooty about it, but I have not had that situation happen but maybe once.

I like looking through the online travel agencies and hotel booking sites in order to get an overview of what's available. I've even booked a few hotels where I literally couldn't book through a corporate or individual hotel website since they only booked online through OTAs.

However, my preference is to then check the corporate website, and especially see what discounts I can get, like maybe advance purchase or AAA discount.
Or employee discount like me.

I can understand that. Think once I asked for like 2 queens instead of 1 king and sofa bed and they couldn’t do it and kinda acted snooty about it, but I have not had that situation happen but maybe once.

That’s always called a room preference and not guaranteed. Even with main corporate or direct bookings. However, they might adjust the rate accordingly.

One I arrived late and found that there were zero standard rooms left. So they gave me a suite for the same price. Not sure what would have happened if suites were unavailable, but I suppose they’d could have “walked” me to another hotel arranged for me to get that rate there (where they pay any difference).

Back