PPPP vs M1 vs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing that will be significantly better than the other amongst the brands mentioned. Even when splitting hairs.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by Linctex
That Honda Accord in Florida will probably make it to 500,000 miles even with conventional oil.

Possibly, but the owners manual calls for 0w20 and I like to stick with that. Plus synthetic oils are simply not much more than conventional yet have much better specs.

0W20 is not always synthetic and the specs are not as far as one would believe.

I knew someone was going to say that, but PP and M1 are true modern day synthetic oils vs something like conventional Havoline or Mobil Super. Just examples. Sure there are some 0w20 oils that are "synthetic blend" but they are hardly mainstream.

I would gather that a good portion of the 0w-20 blends are more readily available (and attractive) to shops. Mobil has a bulk 0w-20 blend up here, if I recall correctly, and I know Pennzoil has their Gold blend, which isn't exactly on every shelf.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Linctex
That Honda Accord in Florida will probably make it to 500,000 miles even with conventional oil.

Possibly, but the owners manual calls for 0w20 and I like to stick with that. Plus synthetic oils are simply not much more than conventional yet have much better specs.

0W20 is not always synthetic and the specs are not as far as one would believe.

I knew someone was going to say that, but PP and M1 are true modern day synthetic oils vs something like conventional Havoline or Mobil Super. Just examples. Sure there are some 0w20 oils that are "synthetic blend" but they are hardly mainstream.

Castrol synthetic blend is not mainstream? Then why can I find it at Walmart almost every time I'm there? If not in the store its online almost every time I checfk.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Speaking of "specs", as in Performance Test Specs, the only real increment upward from PPPP 0w20 is a VW 508, LL-14FE+, or MB 229.71 oil. They have a tougher test set to pass than PPPP's dexos1.
I do like your choice of PPPP pao-like GTL Group3+ base juice, no doubt, yet it's hard to ignore those new tough German test specs.
That said, I wonder if the extended performance dexos1 oils (M1 EP&AP, Castrol Edge gold jug) can come very close to being an MB 229.71 oil.
One example: https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20

For example dexos1 soot thickening is on the center (0?) and the other is at 7.
Does this mean there is no soot thickening with d1?
Also d1 beats the other oil/spec in every aspect ???
Is that correct? Typically that raises a red flag for me. But I am more curious as to what the numbers mean.
Thank you.

It's Lubrizol's way of communicating how tough individual performance aspects of an oil spec ask for.
Higher numbers are better on the spider chart.
Zero means there is no test for that specific performance item, as in, dexos1 has no soot test, so it gets a zero for that, meaning the oil doesn't have to demonstrate soot thickening performance.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

Speaking of "specs", as in Performance Test Specs, the only real increment upward from PPPP 0w20 is a VW 508, LL-14FE+, or MB 229.71 oil. They have a tougher test set to pass than PPPP's dexos1.
I do like your choice of PPPP pao-like GTL Group3+ base juice, no doubt, yet it's hard to ignore those new tough German test specs.
That said, I wonder if the extended performance dexos1 oils (M1 EP&AP, Castrol Edge gold jug) can come very close to being an MB 229.71 oil.
One example: https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20

For example dexos1 soot thickening is on the center (0?) and the other is at 7.
Does this mean there is no soot thickening with d1?
Also d1 beats the other oil/spec in every aspect ???
Is that correct? Typically that raises a red flag for me. But I am more curious as to what the numbers mean.
Thank you.

It's Lubrizol's way of communicating how tough individual performance aspects of an oil spec ask for.
Higher numbers are better on the spider chart.
Zero means there is no test for that specific performance item, as in, dexos1 has no soot test, so it gets a zero for that, meaning the oil doesn't have to demonstrate soot thickening performance.

Thanks for explaining it!

I now understand why you say that MB229.71 has a tougher test to pass. based on this spider, d1 specs looks like a joke.

There is no soot performance test in d1? I thought dexos was all about di engines?
Also why not adopt the same and existing performance specs and not reinvent the wheel? Maybe it has to do with royalties ...

Are there more legs to that spider where dexos may shine? d1 seems pretty weak compared to MB229!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

It's too bad MB 229.71 oils are essentially unicorns at this point.
True. However, napa auto parts can order LiquiMoly 229.71 0w20 oil maybe, Mercedes dealerships have it, ebay has the Mobil1 ESP x2 0w20. Also, blauparts.com and amazon has Ravenol ECS 229.71 0w-20 ( https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html )
VW 508 and Porsche C20 oil is easier to get. FCPeuro.com has LiquiMoly 0w20 that meets those specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back