post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2005 Ford Taurus, 79,877 miles...

5.5 qts drained/pumped thru a mityvac extractor, (13.4 capacity Taurus)

Previous fill in Dec 2012 with Redline D4,

13,000 miles later

IN- 5.5 qts of Motorcraft Mercon V

Motorcraft Mercon V has a viscosity index of 205
Redline D4 has 198

Also Castrol Mercon V specs/viscosity index is lower than Motorcraft.

$5.99 a qt at ORielly's

will probably use Motorcraft from now on...

my latest change is actually a withdrawl & fill.
my 2012 Fusion has 46k on it.
After a blackstone UOA on the tranny fluid, it was at it's last
end from the factory fill.
I've been sucking the fluid from the dipstick tube with my Mityvac Evacuator and a longer hose piece.
I withdraw about 4 quarts.
I fill it back up with 4 quarts of MC mercon lv and also add LG Platnum just for giggles.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T

After a couple of solenoids swapped:

Out: Formula Shell ATF and Shell multi-vehicle ATF.
In: Castrol IMV, Mobil Super Dexron VI and Havoline ATF+4.

Last edited:
2010 Hyundai Elantra

Out : OEM SPIII ATF
In : OEM SPIII ATF

Drain & Fill (approx. 3 qrts.) every 15K miles
Hyundai / Kia SPIII is not the most robust ATF on the market but works best in Hyundai / Kia transmissions which specifiy SPIII ATF ...Just drain and fill every 15K miles for best results .

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Gasser 94,850 Miles.

Pan drop and new AC Trans filter.
Out with GM Bulk Dex VI fluid with 35k
In with Maxlife ATF.

Here's a link to my Partial Drain Calculator Spreadsheet.

You must dowload it for it to calculate for you, it is an EXCEL Worksheet. Dropbox will just show a preview.

I have seen to many people miscalculating the percents and numbers on partial drains and refills on their transmissions.

What folks commonly say is "if I drain 2 of 6 quarts over 3 times, heck I can have a full changeout by the tuird time..BEWARE! That's not the case... because of mixing, it wont be until the 7th fluid change that you actuially reach a 95% total new fluid.

I used university mathmatics people to design this spreadsheet which is verified as accurate. It gives you percentages, volumes of how much is now old vs. new, it tells you how many partial changes it will take to achieve your desire percent total of new fluid.

Perhaps a Sticky?

Partial Drain Calculator Spreadsheet Link

'86 Volvo 240 wagon in my sig.
M46 4 sp with Laycock J-type elec. overdrive
Estimated 400K mi. (odo was broken for 7 years)
Valvoline ATF Type F ( yes, that's what Volvo recommends)
Minor amount of material cleaned from magnetic plug and od filter.
I don't bother with Blackstone on this car.

Last weekend, '02 Accord.
Drained out three quarts, replaced with three quarts VML ATF.
This tranny has no serviceable filter nor does it have a pan, so all you can do are drain and fills or a flush.

'03 Olds Alero 3400 with A/T. 169,500 miles. I'm embarrassed to admit that, either I don't keep good records or I've never changed the fluid and filter in this car, until now. But the fluid was in decent shape, dark, but no hint of burning.

Drained and filled with about 6 quarts of Valvoline Max Life full synthetic. Intended on putting in a Wix filter, but the O'Reilly store didn't have inventory. If I had planned in advance, they could have ordered it for me. But I was ready to do the job, so I took the store brand.

Put it on my maintenance schedule to change it in another 60k. I'll get a Wix in there then.

Last edited:
2007 Yaris

Drained and filled 2.7 qts.

Fluid was never done, Maxlife went in.

The "lifetime" fluid that came out was almost completely black.

2002 Saab 9-3 SE hatchback 2.3L 117,111mi.
Drain & Fill-likely the first one it's had

OUT: 3.5 quarts of thick, nearly completely opaque black/brown fluid. Seemed overfilled on the stick.
IN: 3 quarts Valvoline MaxLife "modern" Dex/Merc (in the red jug).

Planning at least 2 more Drain & Fills before possibly performing a powered flush. Kira

1998 Acura TL 156K
Drain & filled 3.2 qts VML Atf this is the 3rd D&F i have done since i purchased this car last July 1st. Fluid is now nice and red draining out of the Tranny. I will go to my regular ATF service interval of every other oil change from now on.

2007 F0RD FOCUS S DURETAC 2.0L FLUSH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AT 70000 MILES REFILL
MOTORCRAFT MERCON V 7 QUARTS

Originally Posted By: jmb106
1997 Acura CL 249K
Drain & fill 2.25 qts VML Atf. I love how easy it is to service Honda Trannys.

You said you used Valveonline Max Life ATF.... Did you tranny have a leak?

was it slipping?

did you notice an improvement with Valvoline Maxx life???

Perhaps if you did notice a differance you might of noticed it with any Multi ATF.

Unless you used it b/c you have a leak.

I know some people that do 2 drop and fills with Honda DW-1 and then the last with Valvonline Maxx life ATF.

Just wondering what your results where.

Thank you.

Back