post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS (3.3). 120,470 miles on car, and ~19,800 miles on mostly OEM ATF, with 1qt Mobil1 Synthetic (not SP-III rated, I realized later). Drain and fill 5 quarts of MaxLife Full Synthetic. Have already put over 1k miles on new fluid and the slight hesitations I was feeling are gone.

02 Chevy S10 4.3 V6 100k miles
- out factory fill, in valvoline 75w90 syn diff oil
- out factory fill, in valvoline syn ATF tranny oil
- out QS syn 5w30, in smitty 10w30 syn blend

Hello, YO! barkingspider, go up 11 posts and read what I said about my friend's S-10.

Consider changing the trannie filter. It changed his shifting. Kira NoNeJe (?)

1995 Saturn SL2 76,096. Original fluid was flushed/drained once before at unknown mileage.

Out: 4.2 Qts of whatever fluid dealership used and OEM spin-on filter.
In: 4.2 Qts Valvoline Dex/merc ATF (blue bottle) and Wix 57101 spin-on filter.

2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0liter V6
42000km,(26000miles)
Out Nissan factory fill,(matic S)
In Nissan Matic S
4.4 liter drain and fill followed by 6.8 liter cooler line flush.
Total oil used 11.2 liters.
Last liter was very clean. Could have only used 10 liters.

Recently did a pan drop/filter change and put in a gallon of Maxlife ATF. Saturday pulled out 2 more quarts through the dipstick tube and refilled with 2 quarts of Maxlife. Gonna do this weekly until I can get most of the old changed out. It's already made a nice difference with shift quality and smoothness.

Just did a pan drop and filter change on the Camry's A140E. The old fluid was pretty dark, lots of fuzz on the pan magnets, and some sparkles and shavings in the drained fluid. It didn't smell burned, though.
I filled it with 6 ounces of Lubegard Red and 2.5 qts of ST Mercon-V. It calls for Dex-III, and I've read that it doesn't deal well with the thinner Dex-VI. Mercon-V is compatible with Dex-III, and is a current spec.
I took it for a 10-mile drive after, and shifting definitely feels smoother and a little quicker. I'll do another couple drain and fills to get mostly fresh fluid in there.

2006 Toyota Sienna

90k miles

drain/fill with just over 4 quarts of Valvoline Import ATF (type T-IV)

I did some research and Valvoline Import is the closest to the Toyota fluid.

Going to do another drain/fill in another week.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan DX-G. Approx. 30K miles. 2 Drains and fills with Honda ATF DW-1. 5 litres added in total. New crush washer. Added 6 oz. LubeGard Red. Running smooth!

2000 Buick Regal LS 3.8 auto MaxLife Dexron VI in a 63k car. Still stinks and slips when downshifting. I obviously bought a car that rocked out of more than one snowbank in Alberta winter. Will LGred give me some more mileage out of this damaged trans.?

Last edited:
1994 Lexus ES300, 252k
Out: 4 Qt of VERY old fluid
In: 4 Qt of fresh Valvoline Maxlife.

The car shifted more positively than before, and the shifts didn't lag not nearly as much. Probably have another drain and fill on the second OC.

Very happy with the Maxlife, and I sleep MUCH better at night.

2002 Buick Century, 103k miles

Out - Supertech DexronVI (about 5 quarts sucked through fill tube)- About 10k on this cleaning cycle, fluid already lost most of its red color.

In - 1 gallon Maxlife Dex/Merc plus 20 oz Lubegard Red

Originally Posted By: glum
2008 Hyundai Sonata

Replaced Hyundai OEM SP-III swill with Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC, and I could swear I heard my car whisper "thank you..." when I was done.

I changed the OE SP-III in my 2008 Elantra to Maxlife + 8 oz. of LG red when I first bought it at 30K. I did 3 D&R's because only 1.75 quarts drains out each time.
It's shifting beautifully on the Maxlife which I recommend highly.

I changed the OE fluid on my 2008 Corolla when I first bought it at 17K. I used T-IV + 8 oz. LG red. I did it again at 45K using T-IV and LGR plus I installed a Magnafine filter. It shifts great but I may use MAXLIFE or Castrol IMV next time.

I changed the FF ATF in my 2011 Cruze at 25K using Castrol Dex VI and approx. 16 oz. of LGR. A little over 4 qts. drained out when it was cold and I was precise about putting the exact amount back in because I had read that the 6T40 was unforgiving with over/under filling and the level can't be checked without special equipment (no dipstick). It seems to be shifting even better than on the original fluid.

2006 Lexus RX330 currently at 80K miles.

Last drain/fill at 50K miles.
Out: 8 qts of purple-brownish Toyota Type-IV.
In: 8 qts Maxlife red jug from Autozone for ~$23.

Smooth shifting before and after except the fluid is now clean cherry red.

02 Chevy Silverado 5.3L 4L60E

Out: Filter and pan removal took out 5qts Valvoline Maxlife
In: New filter, cleaned pan and Maxlife.

Full syn and less than $5 a quart no wonder people love Maxlife. DexVI clone but awesome!

Back