Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2012 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT 123K

Turkey baster method and refilled, drove a couple days, repeated X4.

Out: clear-ish PS fluid of some kind.

In: Prestone Asian Vehicles Synthetic Power Steering Fluid 1QT flush.

I will do it again with another qt. Its too cold to do a "proper" flush, so this will do for now.

The bottle says the fluid is good for 100K!.
  • 100,000-mile fluid life which is 2X more than conventional fluid, extending the time between replacement.
  • Engineered for use in Asian vehicle manufacturers: Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Mazda, Suzuki and others.
  • This full-synthetic fluid provides longer life and is fortified with an advanced additive package that helps prevent corrosion.
  • 2X Anti-Wear Protection for enhanced system life vs. conventional fluid. More protection against pump failure, squeals and clogs.

2012 Honda Odyssey, 133k miles

Replaced the o-rings on the inlet and outlet hoses. This procedure requires sucking the reservoir dry with a turkey baster, so I replaced a total of 16 oz to avoid having an opened bottle sitting around.

Out: Lucas universal PS with conditioners
In: same

20220305_155605.jpg

2012 Honda Odyssey, 133k miles

Replaced the o-rings on the inlet and outlet hoses. This procedure requires sucking the reservoir dry with a turkey baster, so I replaced a total of 16 oz to avoid having an opened bottle sitting around.

Out: Lucas universal PS with conditioners
In: same

View attachment 91470
I use the Honda spec fluid... Do you like the Lucas stuff?

2003 Accord - PS Pump Replacement - Cleaned the reservoir out as well.

Out - Honda OEM PS Fluid
In - Lubegard Honda/Acura PS Fluid
Which pump (and price) did you use? I bought a cheapie Amazon new pump and planned to get the original rebuilt.
That was over 3 years ago, I believe. Cheapie pump was like $60 and runs like a champ.
This was on our 2006 TSX with the moghty K24.

2015 Odyssey EX-L, 131K
Out: Original fluid, I think. Was pretty darn clean!
In: Honda spec, about 3/4 quart.
MityVac out the reservoir, hook up MityVac to return line and suck till it gurgles.
Fill up reservoir and suck till it pulls through. Let reservoir drain as low as possible.
Hook return line back up; fill reservoir, start engine, check for bubbles, fill to whatever line you like.
Clean up the small mess you made. Easy peasy.

I use the Honda spec fluid... Do you like the Lucas stuff?
I do. The steering developed a "catch" or "stick during left turns about 6 years ago; not necessarily problematic but annoying nonetheless. After replacing with Honda fluid, then Prestone for Honda, and finally lubing the steering shaft, all of which provided no improvement, a friend suggested I try the Lucas fluid. The improvement was immediate, with smooth steering ever since. I then replaced the relatively new Carquest fluid in my Cad with Lucas, and the steering also became smooth as butter. So far the Lucas is the best I have used, but I can't speak to how it compares to Amsoil, etc.

Last edited:
Which pump (and price) did you use? I bought a cheapie Amazon new pump and planned to get the original rebuilt.
That was over 3 years ago, I believe. Cheapie pump was like $60 and runs like a champ.
This was on our 2006 TSX with the moghty K24.

I don't think the K24 and J Series are the same pump, but I did see where you bought one a while back, that's what made me decide to give the 'Amazon' pump a whirl. For $60 there wasn't much to lose. So far so good, although the wife is the sole driver of that car, so it could have thrown the belt off and fallen off the car for all I know. :)

Turkey Basted out old power steering fluid in 2004 Taurus SW in signature.

In -- Valvoline Maxlife Multi Full Synthetic transmission fluid to proper level.

* Will turkey base out again when I do the next oil change in 2500 miles. In with same as above.

2005 Honda CR-V 292,568km

Turkey Baster method

The fluid that came out was very black and the new stuff (Honda P/S Fluid) is clear. I'll probably do this at least a few more times or until it runs somewhat close to clear.

2005 Toyota Sienna
Out - MaxLife
In - MaxLife

I had to replace the feed line for the PSP. Toyota wanted $100ish for the hose and hard line, the aftermarket didn’t list a hose - Gates and Sunsong listed a kit. I ended up buying 2 feet of bulk transmission cooler line and making the soft line instead.

Just did it on my son’s Pilot with 196k on it via baster method. Fluid out looked like Coca Cola. Replaced with Honda PS fluid.

1991 Volvo 240 sedan 221,200 miles
Out: Unknown (still red color)
In: Mobil 1 ATF, drain and fill reservoir 3x

Added K&J magnets inside and outside. 18lbs pull strength each. Picture shown.

Attachments

• F175E6D9-CD27-4DA9-B763-E314B777AEA2.jpeg
    F175E6D9-CD27-4DA9-B763-E314B777AEA2.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back in the 1980’s my employer had a fleet of Olds Cieras and was constantly replacing the racks. I had a 1988 Aerostar van and had to replace the rack. With the 2007 Focus with 195,000 miles, I have pumped out the power steering tank at each 5,000 OCI and refill. Never a problem with it.

Back