Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2003 Honda Civic EX 1.7l 160k
Out: factory fill
In: Honda Genuine P/S Fluid
Multiple reservoir drain and fills over several weeks
It's good to see a light amber clear fluid in there again. The drained fluid was black.

2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 190k
Out: may have been factory fill, we've only owned this vehicle for a few thousand miles
In: Motorcraft Mercon V
Multiple reservoir drain and fills over several weeks. It's almost entirely back to its red translucent color again. A couple of more exchanges ought to do the trick.

2015 Cadillac SRX (22,700 miles)
Out: Factory fill
In: Maxlife ATF
PS reservoir drain and fill = 8 oz

The factory fill was still plenty red and looks worse in the below pic then it actually was.

Original factory fluid.jpg
Valovoline Maxlife.jpg

1971 Ford Mustang
Power steering pressure line replacement
Out: some type f fluid and mostly Lucas power steering stop leak
In: flushed system with two quarts Havoline Type F, filled with Havoline Type F

2007 Honda Ridgeline in my signature
Odometer: 99,660 miles
Last P/S fluid change was done @ 62K miles by Honda dealer
Out and In: genuine Honda P/S fluid
I used three 12 oz bottles in three drain and fills, making sure to circulate the fluid each time with several full turn to turn cycles and a short drive. I was surprised that the final drain wasn't more clear. I guess there is a value in a dealer using a fluid exchange machine. My local indie shop wanted $120 for that service using BG synthetic fluid, but I was reluctant to use anything but Honda fluid.

Last edited:
2007 Infiniti M35 sedan in my signature
Odometer: 119,300
This was the car's first P/S fluid change.
In: BG synthetic P/S fluid
Done by my local indie shop for $120 using a BG fluid exchange machine. I checked the BG fluid compatibility on its website before approving the service.

Changed the power steering fluid on wife's 2007 Sonata. It was pretty disgusting, never been changed (my bad). I used Lubegard 23232 Complete Synthetic Power Steering Fluid.

2007 Honda Ridgeline in my signature
Odometer: 99,660 miles
Last P/S fluid change was done @ 62K miles by Honda dealer
Out and In: genuine Honda P/S fluid
I used three 12 oz bottles in three drain and fills, making sure to circulate the fluid each time with several full turn to turn cycles and a short drive. I was surprised that the final drain wasn't more clear. I guess there is a value in a dealer using a fluid exchange machine. My local indie shop wanted $120 for that service using BG synthetic fluid, but I was reluctant to use anything but Honda fluid.
I use the MityVac on Hondas. Just suck out the reservoir and attach the MityVac to the return line. Plug reservoir (of course). Suck out the ps fluid until is sucks air. Fill reservoir with fresh fluid and suck new fluid through. I let the reservoir run pretty low at the end so reinstalling return line is not as messy.
Hook everything up and let her idle for a minute. Easy peasy.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Power steering pump replacement
Out: flushed 3 quarts Fram ATF+4 through it
In: filled with Fram ATF+4

2009 Honda CR-V

Out: Kleen-flo Honda/Acura fluid
In: Same

I replaced the original power steering pump yesterday. After flushing the fluid a couple of years ago, it did not cure it's growl, but it's quiet now!

Last edited:
Did one more hit of the PS on my daughter's car this last weekend to help ensure we are well past the Dex 6 TSB risk before winter (orig post).
We pulled and refilled 1 quart Amsoil ATL. Should be set for a long time on this one.

1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Steering box and power steering hoses replacement
Out: unknown fluid
In: about a quart and a half of Napa Dex/Merc automatic transmission fluid

2012 Freightliner M2 106 w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L. Equipped w/ TRW steering gearbox.
Out: Dexron ATF and spin-on reservoir power steering filter. Removing the drain plug from the bottom of the steering box netted 3.5qts of fluid.
In: Wolf's Head Synthetic ATF and a new filter.
The spin-on canister is the oddest oil filter ever. Return fluid flows into the center, then out of the filter to flutes on the dome end of the filter back into the reservoir.
Spin-on filter threads onto the cap on the right with the locking ring.

flps.png

Last edited:
1997 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Steering box replacement
Out: unknown, looked like transmission fluid
In: AutoZone power steering fluid

2002 Impala, 171K miles
Replaced power steering pump in 5 degree weather
Out: old fluid, almost certainly factory
In: Pennzoil PSF from Autozone. Or maybe it was Prestone? Yellow bottle, either way.

Last edited:
Back