20230112_104527.jpg
20230112_104539.jpg
20230112_104544.jpg
20230112_104611.jpg
20230112_104623.jpg
20230112_104759.jpg
20230112_104903.jpg
20230112_104906.jpg

Turning wheel lock to lock while photos upload. Interior could absolutely stand to be cleaned. Will do turning for next 15 minutes or so.

It sounds less chatters already.

20230112_105158.jpg

ChrisFix video recommended me to give this stuff a try. Reviews say only two people said it had no result for them.. in quieting Ford PS pump.

I don't see how that snake oil will do anything different than "normal new fluid."
You are not the first that has postulated this.

The reason this fluid was secured at all is because supposedly it has a special formulation that greatly favors Ford power steering pumps. Specifically Fords.

I don't 100% know that to be true, however, this system is one that absolutely seems to be quieter on power steering fluid than it does automatic transmission fluid and I'm noticing a difference between fluids.

F250 Turkey baster PS change with Redline

Attachments

• D2EE6414-E3EF-41B2-BDE8-E209551499C2.jpeg
    D2EE6414-E3EF-41B2-BDE8-E209551499C2.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 2
1967 Impala SS
Original pump overhauled, original steering box modified for fast ratio + overhaul, new Edelmann hoses
Out: unknown
In: Super Tech ATF, FSM calls for Type A ATF

1998 Ford Ranger
Out - whatever the local Ford dealer used
In - MaxLife ATF.

It’s nothing special, it doesn’t use POE/PAO basestock like Red Line or HPL, but it made an immediate improvement to this Ford’s power steering system - much less whine.

1996 Chevrolet Cheyenne 1500
Replaced power steering pump, pressure hose and return hose
Out: unknown oil
In: Fram Dex/Merc

Did a single suck/fill of the Mazda 6 PS. Out almost entirely Amsoil ATF. In Amsoil ATF. Fluid looking real good. Been doing this for years, now.
Did a single suck/fill of the dopey little reservoir on the Mazda 5 with Amsoil ATF. That fluid was ugly brown. It was Mazda MV from a full change a few years ago at the dealership. Mechanic recommended not dismantling the PS tubing for the messy fluid change procedure as long as I got ahead of it this way. Though the rez is small, it does cycle fluid and can be replaced slowly and methodically.

Did a single suck/fill of the Mazda 6 PS. Out almost entirely Amsoil ATF. In Amsoil ATF. Fluid looking real good. Been doing this for years, now.
Did a single suck/fill of the dopey little reservoir on the Mazda 5 with Amsoil ATF. That fluid was ugly brown. It was Mazda MV from a full change a few years ago at the dealership. Mechanic recommended not dismantling the PS tubing for the messy fluid change procedure as long as I got ahead of it this way. Though the rez is small, it does cycle fluid and can be replaced slowly and methodically.
Can you easily pull the return line? This makes PS services a snap. I use the MityVac to pull fluid through. Easy peasey.

Can you easily pull the return line? This makes PS services a snap. I use the MityVac to pull fluid through. Easy peasey.
The best answer is "maybe."

For a DIY with only basic tools and limited experience, the involvement is more than I am willing to handle (so far!). Though slow and a bit wasteful, the rez suck/fill seems to be what I need.

I tried looking for the bigger, better way on the 5. The process is the same technique for the 5 and 3 of similar years. You have to find a way in or under the wheel well or splash shield to get to the return. In some cases it involves jacking the car and removing the wheel. It might be possible to turn the wheel all the way to access. Then the tubing gets bent quite a bit to remove from the solid line. A bit much for me at this time.

Actually, I do a combination method. First, I start with a cold engine (I don't like getting burned), use a veterinary syringe with a length of 1/4" clear vinyl hose RTV'd on and suck everything I can from the PS reservoir. Then I raise the front wheels off the ground, turn the wheels lock to lock several times and again suck out the reservoir, THEN disconnect the PS return line and vacuum out what's left. This means that when I disconnect the return line, the spilled mess of fluid isn't near such a spilled mess, more like a trickle. Finally, I put a vacuum plug over the hole in the bottom of the reservoir, refill the reservoir with new clean fluid, turn the wheels lock to lock and again suck out the return line until new fluid comes out. The entire system capacity is less than 20 oz. and the fluid isn't expensive so I don't mind wasting a few ounces to get it nice and clean. :)

Back