does power steering fluid need to be changed?

I can see it both ways. For those folks who don’t keep a vehicle long enough to rack up. Lots of miles, it may not be useful. But for folks, such as yourself who keep a vehicle for a while and attain higher mileage, it makes lots of sense to swap out the fluid to preserve the steering components. Oh, by the way, congratulations on the high mileage you’ve gotten on your Ram. This suggests that you do a good job of taking care of it.

I can see it both ways. For those folks who don’t keep a vehicle long enough to rack up. Lots of miles, it may not be useful. But for folks, such as yourself who keep a vehicle for a while and attain higher mileage, it makes lots of sense to swap out the fluid to preserve the steering components. Oh, by the way, congratulations on the high mileage you’ve gotten on your Ram. This suggests that you do a good job of taking care of it.
It's a cummins lol 217,000 miles around town driving, around 11,000hrs

The way we change PS fluid is after drawing out the fluid and refilling we turn the steering wheel all the way from stop to stop then drain and fill. Seems to work. Also in vehicles mounted next to the exhaust manifold the pumps get really hot.
Exactly, power steering systems are open hydraulic systems, the operator by turning the wheel will bleed the system and circulate air/fluid up to the reservoir. No need to disconnect any lines, the power piston in the rack has to return the fluid to the reservoir (Where you can suck it out and replenish it).

I had been trying to find this answer for almost 12 months.
The Yes camp: over time, wear metal builds up as well as the fluid deterioration. Someone posted PSF oil analysis; the results were shocking.
The No camp: Toyota (in my case) has no scheduled change; only top up if needed.
You can do a visual check, color of the fluid in the reservoir and how clean the inside of the reservoir is.
I decided to have a go and change it myself.
I know you can empty the fill up the reservoir multiple times to do this; I recommend doing this by disconnecting the return hose, and collecting the old fluid in a container while topping up with fresh fluid.

Power steering fluid is hygroscopic. Some power steering systems use ATF which isn't very hygroscopic.

My jeep uses actual power steering fluid, and I flushed it at 160k and the difference in steering feel was very noticeable, especially on center.
What are you using in your jeep? Anything oil based wont be hygroscopic.

Great word! The first time I read it was in an article written by George Will about five years ago when he was describing a particular politician. Will has excellent language skills.
Oleaginous really IS a great word! It is an apt term for many politicians, but especially that one!

I would imagine every vehicle has a different type of pump and power steering rack. I've noticed luxury cars can be turned using your pinky and trucks/suvs usually take more effort. Like my 1999 dodge ram takes a good bit of effort to turn the wheel compared to my 07 dodge ram, not sure if maybe newer vehicles are just easier to turn or what. I haven't gotten around to changing the power steering fluid in the 99 yet.

380,000 miles on original ps fluid on my dad's 2002 Jetta. He topped it off for the first time last year. It's still red and the ps works great

Last car I had with PS got changed once a year in the turkey baster way. Likely more responsive too but 0.00001 horsepower increase. I will say for a FACT, replacing fluids, topping off,or adding better quality fluids is always a shot in the right direction. Don't wait til forever to change these fluids and then completely get them overhaul/replaced as the wear and tear has already been done. That includes blinker fluid, summer/winter air and muffler bearing lubrication.

I would imagine every vehicle has a different type of pump and power steering rack. I've noticed luxury cars can be turned using your pinky and trucks/suvs usually take more effort. Like my 1999 dodge ram takes a good bit of effort to turn the wheel compared to my 07 dodge ram, not sure if maybe newer vehicles are just easier to turn or what. I haven't gotten around to changing the power steering fluid in the 99 yet.
IME new fluid only improves steering "feel" if the old fluid is degraded or dirty. However switching to a different fluid (with different viscosity, add pack, etc) can definitely smooth things out. I found Lucas fluid w/ conditioners to be the best stuff (I haven't tried Amsoil or Rdedline, so i cant compare). The Lucas produced marked improvement over Honda OE, Valvoline, Prestone, and store brand in my Honda and Cadillac. I therefore suspect it would make the 99 Ram steer easier. My $.02

My parents Taurus has had the fluid changed once in 403k miles. The shaft seal started leaking on the pump and it got replaced. That’s the only “change” it’s ever had. On the heavy trucks I do fluid and filter periodically but the pumps can be $1k plus and steering gears as high as $3k. It’s cheap insurance on them.

Wait - you mean…you don’t change the air in your tires??

🤣
Every spring and fall....sort of.

The mounted on rims winter tires get put on and pressure adjusted. So they lose about 6psi sitting all summer. After about 5 years all of them have been "replaced" with new air :unsure: :). Sometimes fully replaced early depending on nails etc.

Power steering- I use the HF fluid extractor and empty the reservoir 1-2 times per year on CRV and Forte. Did the same on Sonata and Sequoia. Northeast road salt helped in fluid replacement for the CRV by rotting out a hard line. Steering rack was also replaced a year ago so it's had a bunch of change.

Pilot and Accord are electric PS so no swapping that I know of on that.

I would say the fluid should be changed because wear particles and dirt will over time contaminate the fluid. If no service interval is specified I'd change the fluid every 50k miles or every 5 years, whichever occurs first.

What does your maintenance manual say? That's your official answer.

Knowing most Americans don't even change their brake fluids when the factory calls for it, they likely don't even know what power steering uses. If most vehicles haven't blown up with bad fluid in the system by now they probably are either low stress or can tolerate to go VERY BAD before things will break.

I have seen some cars with higher rpm engine with an additional PSF cooling loop when the lower rpm engine doesn't, this tells me the worst they can do is oxidization or thinning out at high rpm. I've changed mine at 165k and 10 years, nothing happen. My other car has the PSF changed due to a leaking hose, that's it. If your PSF last longer than your hose or pump, you have a "lifetime" fluid.

Back