Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2019 Toyota 4Runner
Sucked out the PS reservoir. Refilled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
I do this every oil change. Recycle the old fluid with the old oil.
I was using the Valvoline maxlife in my 2.7l Tacoma and was getting some serious noise out of my PS pump during really cold mornings, the maxlife is a very thin DEX VI type ATF although being fully synthetic, the Valvoline dex/merc is a Dino DEX 3 atf and is slightly thicker viscosity which is specified by Toyota for the PS system, I think maxlife would be fine if you live in warmer climates, I have yet to hear the noisey pump as before since going to dex/merc type, yet

I was using the Valvoline maxlife in my 2.7l Tacoma and was getting some serious noise out of my PS pump during really cold mornings, the maxlife is a very thin DEX VI type ATF although being fully synthetic, the Valvoline dex/merc is a Dino DEX 3 atf and is slightly thicker viscosity which is specified by Toyota for the PS system, I think maxlife would be fine if you live in warmer climates, I have yet to hear the noisey pump as before since going to dex/merc type, yet
I haven't noticed any noise last winter. I'll listen for it this winter as the weather gets cold.

2000 Ford Taurus
Turkey baster change
Out: unknown
In: Motorcraft Mercon V

1976 GMC High Sierra
Return line flush
Out: unknown, 4 quarts O'Reilly Dex/Merc
In: Carquest Dex/Merc

2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Return line flush
Out: Valvoline Dex/Merc, 4 quarts O'Reilly Dex/Merc
In: Havoline MD-3

I haven't noticed any noise last winter. I'll listen for it this winter as the weather gets cold.
the temp needs to get around freezing, it got my attention a few times enough to get out of the truck and pop the hood couldn't initially figure out why, most Toyota truck peeps are using and recommending the maxlife in the PS System, I noticed the maxlife consistency is like red Kool Aide, dex/merc is slightly thicker I think it helped with my noise

1974 Chevrolet Camaro
Return line flush
Out: Valvoline Dex/Merc, 4 quarts of STP multi purpose transmission fluid

2008 Ford Focus
Return line flush
Out: unknown, 3 quarts Valvoline Mercon V
In: Valvoline Mercon V

1995 Chevrolet Suburban K2500
Return line flush
Out: unknown, 4 quarts Havoline MD-3

1968 Pontiac Tempest
Hose replacement and return line flush
Out: mix of various Dex/Merc top offs, 4 quarts STP Multi Purpose Transmission Fluid

1999 Ford F150
Turkey baster change
Out: unknown
In: Valvoline Mercon V

1993 Ford F150
Return line flush
Out: Valvoline Dex/Merc, 4 quarts STP Multi Purpose transmission fluid

1977 Dodge D200
Replaced both power steering lines and flushed system
Return line flush
Out: unknown, 5 quarts STP Multi Purpose transmission fluid

2007 Acura TSX Mighty K24, 103K miles
My sister bought this car new; this is the first PS service. Used Triad synthetic Honda spec fluid from Amazon.
Used MityVac to empty reservoir, then inserted MityVac tube into PS return line.
Sucked fluid out, filled reservoir and continued to suck until fresh fluid pulled through.
Reconnected return line and filled reservoir.
Easy peasy and steering is like new.

A friend who is a single father now drives the TSX. These are great cars.

2008 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton with hydroboost. Changed out power steering pump at 201,000 miles due to seal leakage in cold weather. For those unfamiliar with it, the hydroboost uses pressure from the PS pump to provide the braking assistance for the power brakes.

Out: AC Delco PS fluid
In: AC Delco PS fluid.

Amsoil SS ATF red bottle partial leftover from last year:
- 2013 Mazda 6 - simply extracted and refilled the rez once. I have done this a number of times the past couple of years so it is well freshened.
- 2015 Mazda 5 - Had just enough leftover from the 6 for the little rez on this one as the color was darker. I can't usefully extract/fill this PS system without unhooking things.

2000 Camry V6, 232K, unknown OCI.

Out: unknown .5 quart; possibly factory fill.
In: MaxLife

Used MityVac to empty reservoir and then hooked up to return line and sucked that old stuff out.
The reservoir is blackened so it is difficult to see the color of the fluid.

2008 Lexus ES350 59k, never changed before

Out: factory fill (came out black...supposed to be clear, thankful the PSP doesn't leak.)
In: Valvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF (Blue Bottle)

I got the ATF from AutoZone clearance in 2015 for $4 for a gallon, used it because I had about 1.5 quartz left over. Used a turkey baster to suck as much fluid out of the reservoir as I could, then disconnected the return line with rags underneath, connected a hose with a clamp to the return line, plugged the reservoir with another rubber hose and raised it higher then the reservoir, added ATF to the reservoir until it was brimming full, then turned the ignition on, and turned the steering wheel (front was on jack stands in the air) fully left and right until fresh ATF came out, and kept the reservoir topped off until fresh fluid came out then emptied it below the return line point, reconnected the return line without any mess. and topped off the reservoir to "cold" full.

'93 Infiniti G20. Driver's side seal let go, so rack change & Dexron IV, it holds 2.5 quarts or so.
It leaked so much there wasn't a real 'exchange' of fluids happening. - or even possible.

Ram in sig at 35k. Whatever the factory was sucked out, Maxlife ATF in, twice. PSF pump quieted down, chunks of (rubber?) out, happy.

Back