Post your latest K&N (or similar) filter cleaning

AFE Proguard 7 with prefilter on my '08 Can Am Outlander Max.

This is the only filter I have tried that keeps my intake clean. I tried stock and Twinair foam filters with poor results.

20180910_102053.jpg
20180910_101850.jpg

Took these K&N's out of the IROC in 2008 after being installed for 3 years, ~1000 miles. Cleaned them and never put them back in. I finally threw them in the trash a few years ago.

k&n filters.jpg

I had a drop in k&n filter in my 2003 k24 accord. It ended up burning a ton of oil, 1 quart in less than 1000 miles…but the k24 is known for this anyway.

I also know that my Mazda with a normal filter catches way more dirt / gets way dirtier than that k&n ever did on the same commute.

I have changed intakes on my Sportwagen and the new one uses a (I think) re-branded AEM Dry Flow filter. The washing is simple - just the same cleaner I use for my K&Ns but no need to re-oil. Dry in the sun, easy.

Post your miles on the filter since last cleaning.

I'll start. 14K miles/7 mos. It's a Neuspeed filter from my intake but this is just a re-badged K&N. Been driven hard (including track time) and in some pretty dusty conditions on a mountain cruise and as I'm finding, open-element intakes get dirty fast! I've had replacement K&Ns look better after 50K miles. I wash them and let them dry in front of a fan overnight and then re-oil with the canned aerosol oil.
View attachment 36671
K & Ns and other cloth based filters are great on flow and terrible at filtering.

I originally popped the stock filter out and tossed in a k&n drop in which provided a little extra noise and throttle response.

image0 (9).jpeg

Later on I looked up what full system was recommended for my car and it was the...

Then I saw a guy online saying the AEM 21-861C Cold Air Intake System fit so I went with that instead. Reason I chose the AEM over the K&N is it's DryFlow so just clean filter and no oiling needed and I also liked that the AEM had a 3/4 heat shield around it instead of being open like the K&N, and the AEM makes use of the stock cold air intake tube as well.

image0 (6).jpeg

image1 (6).jpeg

I did buy the K&N cabin filter as well.

Last edited:
So here's my wife's Atlas. 55K miles. K&N in at 5K so 50K on it/6 years this month. First time cleaning it and TBH, don't need to. There is no fine dirt or oily residue in the intake tube. The MAF isn't fouled with oil. UOAs that I have done show normal SiO2. These photos have been my experience with K&N air filters for the last ~25 years.

Clean air side:
20240102_162613.jpg

Outside:
20240102_162619.jpg

Air hose:
20240102_162635.jpg

I'll also chime in to say taht ever since switching to the Unitronic closed/carbon fiber intake on my Sportwagen that comes with a re-branded AEM dry flow that seems to be the forum darling for high-flow filters...lots of dust in the intake tube...never had that with the K&N oiled filter on my old open intake or when I just had the drop-in. I keep meaning to figure out a K&N universal that will fit it b/c I think they are superior.

Here's my drying setup. All dry/ready for oil. Also a pic of the Atlas's MAF...clean as a whistle/looks new.

20240102_183651.jpg

20240102_183657.jpg

I'll also chime in to say taht ever since switching to the Unitronic closed/carbon fiber intake on my Sportwagen that comes with a re-branded AEM dry flow that seems to be the forum darling for high-flow filters...lots of dust in the intake tube...never had that with the K&N oiled filter on my old open intake or when I just had the drop-in. I keep meaning to figure out a K&N universal that will fit it b/c I think they are superior.
I think it has more to do with the design of the factory air box. Every time the air makes a turn dust can drop out.

Here's my drying setup. All dry/ready for oil. Also a pic of the Atlas's MAF...clean as a whistle/looks new.
Inside of the MAF body looks like it has a thin layer of dust.

1704249343638.jpg

Sorry man...was v. clean.
Looks to me if you swiped a finger on that surface, it's going to leave a clean streak. Looks too nonuniform to be clean plastic ... just how the photo looks to me.

Looks to me if you swiped a finger on that surface, it's going to leave a clean streak. Looks too nonuniform to be clean plastic ... just how the photo looks to me.
I can't control how the phone pics look...it was very clean. Guess you'll have to take my word for it. The inlet hose on my wagon is dusty as hell...I know the difference.

So here's my wife's Atlas. 55K miles. K&N in at 5K so 50K on it/6 years this month. First time cleaning it and TBH, don't need to. There is no fine dirt or oily residue in the intake tube. The MAF isn't fouled with oil. UOAs that I have done show normal SiO2. These photos have been my experience with K&N air filters for the last ~25 years.

Clean air side:
20240102_162613.jpg

Outside:
20240102_162619.jpg

Air hose:
20240102_162635.jpg
Gonna keep running it as is? I feel like you should clean it while you have it out

Back