Post your latest K&N (or similar) filter cleaning

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Post your miles on the filter since last cleaning.

I'll start. 14K miles/7 mos. It's a Neuspeed filter from my intake but this is just a re-badged K&N. Been driven hard (including track time) and in some pretty dusty conditions on a mountain cruise and as I'm finding, open-element intakes get dirty fast! I've had replacement K&Ns look better after 50K miles. I wash them and let them dry in front of a fan overnight and then re-oil with the canned aerosol oil.
20201212_222752.jpg

When I ran k&n filters I always cleaned in the summer and after washing left them to dry in direct sunlight. At the end of the day re-oil and reinstall. Haven't used a k&n in a few years.
I did the same in the summer. Let it dry in sun.

I have the k&n cleaning kit left over from my 1987 Buick GN so I cleaned the k&n that came on my new to me 2010 Harley Streetglide CVO 110 back in June. Don’t know the mileage but it was really dirty. Dried it over night in front of my box fan in the garage then reoiled it. I’ve never been a fan of gauze filters but it seems to be doing fine after 5,000 miles.

Be careful not to over oil the filter. Too much oil on it and it will get sucked into the engine and coat your mass air flow sensor and your vehicle will run like crap.

I spray a light layer of oil on it and let it sit for a few hours and let the oil seep into the filter. Then check it for and dry spots.

I don't dry it with compressed air after washing the filter, worried that it will force the fibers apart. Sitting in the sun works best but just make sure it's totally dry, don't rush it.

Last edited:
Be careful not to over oil the filter. Too much oil on it and it will get sucked into the engine and coat your mass air flow sensor and your vehicle will run like crap.

I spray a light layer of oil on it and let it sit for a few hours and let the oil seep into the filter. Then check it for and dry spots.

I don't dry it with compressed air after washing the filter, worried that it will force the fibers apart. Sitting in the sun works best but just make sure it's totally dry, don't rush it.
The over-oiling thing is a bit of an urban legend IMHO - watch these videos, they are trying to over oil and it still won't come off.

I'm not a fan of the plain jane K&N since last time I checked it was only cotton gauze a little more porous that I would like. Though I have used them in past vehicles! I do like some of their other offerings like AEM synthetic filters which I use in my current truck (right now it's dirty so an AC delco filter is in service)
I wonder how a well oiled K&N stacks up against their DryFlow synthetic filters :unsure:

Decided to make this process easier. Just ordered a new set of filters to have two so I can always have a clean/oiled so now have two air and two SAI filters. Much easier. The exposed filters get dirty much quicker than the replacement drop-in style that I've used in other cars for several years/50K miles with no issue. Wish the oil was darker red.....style points for Cars and Coffee of course!

Back