Post your latest K&N (or similar) filter cleaning

All clean and oiled. Ready for next time.
20210413_094810.jpg

Switches to dry flow AEM or AFE on my vehicles. So much nicer than the oil.
Just wash and dry correct? The clean/re-oil is v. simple and fast but does require the filter to be out of your car for a few hours depending on how you dry it....that's why I just bought a second set.

This is a green filter. I cleaned and re-oiled with k&n black oil so that it wasn't so **** green anymore lol. This is an over the radiator intake so the filter is visible as soon as you open the hood. The last pic is the back of it. The bqck has black mesh, so that's straight black. The front has green wire mesh so that is the only green left. The cotton under it is now dyed black.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-213202_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-213202_YouTube.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210605-213505_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-213505_Photos.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210605-213521_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-213521_Photos.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210605-213402_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-213402_YouTube.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Don’t clean them but every 80-90k. Then degrease and wash the dirt out. Let dry for 12+ hours in the sun, then oil them and let them sit in the sun for a few hours and go back and re-oil the light spots. Let dry in the sun for 2-4 hours, the longer the better. Reinstall and don’t think about em. Or just buy a regular filter and run it for 70-90k and don’t worry. All filter’s efficiency goes up as the filter loads up. Of course there is a tipping point.

My son's Lexus is apart for coil packs so figured why not clean/re-oil. Only has about 20K miles on it and wasn't too dirty. All clean and ready to go.

20230103_135151.jpg

I'm not a fan of the plain jane K&N since last time I checked it was only cotton gauze a little more porous that I would like. Though I have used them in past vehicles! I do like some of their other offerings like AEM synthetic filters which I use in my current truck (right now it's dirty so an AC delco filter is in service)
I wonder how a well oiled K&N stacks up against their DryFlow synthetic filters :unsure:
DRYFLOW might flow a bit less, but adequate enough to still be a performance oriented filter and that it will keep the engine cleaner, reduce wear.

DRYFLOW might flow a bit less, but adequate enough to still be a performance oriented filter and that it will keep the engine cleaner, reduce wear.
Funny, I run a dry flow on my car now based on the intake I have and I don't think it filers nearly as well as the K&N oiled based on dust I've seen in the intake hose....never had that with the K&N but could be that the intake was used and I never cleaned the hose thoroughly. The oil is the magic. The dry one would have to be more porous to flow the air like the oiled but of course the oil is what is "bridging the gap" on those pores. I may see if I can find a K&N equivalent to my dry flow filter next time I change it.

I'm not a fan of the plain jane K&N since last time I checked it was only cotton gauze a little more porous that I would like. Though I have used them in past vehicles! I do like some of their other offerings like AEM synthetic filters which I use in my current truck (right now it's dirty so an AC delco filter is in service)
I wonder how a well oiled K&N stacks up against their DryFlow synthetic filters :unsure:
AFE shows flow graphs of their oiled vs dry filters vs stock paper filters. Oiled flows best and K&N would be about the same.

K&N filter I bought for my 83 Silverado is sitting on the shelf in the garage, pulled it for a FRAM filter 20 yrs ago. :D

K&N filter I bought for my 83 Silverado is sitting on the shelf in the garage, pulled it for a FRAM filter 20 yrs ago. :D
Why have you kept it? I'm sure you can sell it quickly.

Back