Possible salvage purchase- 2004 Pontiac Vibe

I am anxious to see what the car looks like when it's completed. It's fun watching the progress on this car. I hope you are able to get it straight and back on the road. It's good that parts for this vehicle are fairly inexpensive and easy to locate.
Thanks JC. Traveling for work the this week and the next two weeks, so things are a bit on hold. I am hoping to finish up mid-October, and drop it off early November. Hoping to beat the mountain snow, this car will be delivered about 2000 miles from me.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Lots of great/helpful information.

This is a Toyota Corolla. The same Corollas that run all over Afghanistan and Pakistan on unimproved roads 12-16 hours a day every day. In Afghanistan and Pakistan, these get into accidents, both single car and multiple car regularly. There are not frame straitening laser guided machines buttoning these Toyotas back together. Yet after repair after repair, they are back on the road for many, many years- even decades.

These are awesome basic/ crude machines that can take the worst beatings and keep on ticking. I am not looking for perfection in straitening a frame rail bumper mount. I am confident the work I am doing far exceeds what car flippers do, and likely exceed what many licensed body shops execute.

I commend you for the work you do, making this corolla perfect is not the mission. Juice isn't worth the squeeze. Having a nice and reliable car that will be street parked in an urban environment is the end-state.
Hey no worries, it’s your rig and your choice.

I’m not looking for perfection for the rigs I do either. Financial is the main reason for my self and the fact I’m an engineer and gear head is just adding to the addiction. I’ve done the ole tree jerk method too.

My comments are really to point out that the forces involved in a fender bender are crazy and you have to really measure, measure, measure.

In the case of my daughters Escape ( now on the road in college successfully) the low speed hit on the front passenger side pulled the entire engine bay and drivers frame rail to the passenger side a full 2 inches plus pushing the frame rail back 4”. You couldn’t see the motor out of alignment when you put the donor hood on, but could really see it in the motor mounts.

The stress on the driveline, steering, suspension and such can’t be underestimated.

It’s not as simple as pulling a bumper support out and installing a new cover and calling it a day on front end repairs.

The structure has been compromised and the safety of the occupants in the vehicle will depend on the quality of the repairs. I really hate to use the safety card, but it’s frankly the truth.

For me this is the reason I take the detailed effort and the extra time.

Another quick way is to check against another buddy’s vehicle if possible.

Nonetheless it’s a cool project and I commend you for taking it on. It’s truly a rewarding experience.

Btw, this is the primary tramgauge I use. It works great for determining your horizontal plane as well.

I hope you took measurements and centerlined the car in two planes using a laser at minimum. A tramgauge will help you evaluate if you’ve brought it back to square.

Sorry to be negative but the puller you’re using, in the fashion shown, is only marginally effective. You’re transferring a lot of forces to the suspension of the damaged vehicle and stressing / bending otherwise good parts. To make effective pulls you need to be blocking and supporting the parts you don’t want to move in the opposite directions. Likely you’re just pulling the car or truck tires IE sliding the vehicle.

I thought that we already established that this vehicle is for a daughter in law that's just going to wreck it anyway. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Reactions: GON
Thanks JC. Traveling for work the this week and the next two weeks, so things are a bit on hold. I am hoping to finish up mid-October, and drop it off early November. Hoping to beat the mountain snow, this car will be delivered about 2000 miles from me.

@GON, any update on the Pontiac Vibe restoration project for your DIL? Hoping that everything came together for you and she is now enjoying this new-to-her car.

I had been OCONUS for a month, and then traveling CONUS since returning home. Went trying to straighten out a slightly bent front frame rail where the bumper mounts, I caused self-inflicted damage to the windshield washer reservoir, and the right front airbag sensor wire. Not happy with myself. Also struggling with finding parts in the right color. Although this was a very popular car, the color on this car was only offered in 2003/2004. So I am struggling to find the hood.

Early this morning I found the same car at auction with a blown engine. I tried to win the bid, but was priced out. This car, with a blown engine, is about $1300 out the door. As I have wrote earlier- the used car market, especially for beaters is strong.

I hope to get car drivable this weekend. I know have to go to a Seattle area pick a part for the washer reservoir, etc. It is cold and forever rainy season here- it is pure mud at pic a part now- and add cold to the wet.

This is the car I tried to win but lost the auction:

I will actually go inspect myself if I am able. Just two hours away.

The very predictable pattern of oil changes post 60k miles strongly suggests the earlier oil changes were at a garage that not report to carfax, not that they were not done.

It is just hard to find a one owner toyota SUV in a non rust belt state with 130k miles, and with I speculate was a deliberate Maintenace schedule. Of course, I have been wrong before- many times.
GON:
found an F100 in a non rust belt state - serious inquiries only

IMG_5617.jpeg

Picked up the clean title spare Vibe. The spare Vibe has a blown engine and was up in a mountain. I got lucky that I rented a town dolly. Never would have been able to turn around with a open car hauler trailer. The donor vibe was in bad shape, I cant figure out how people can have 49 empty cans of energy drinks in their car. The smell in the car is nauseating.

Pulled the hood and hinges from the donor vehicle and placed them on the vibe being rebuilt. Also installed the bumper support.

I am going to order new headlights, a serpentine belt kit, spark plugs, and a air filter. I could have this road ready tomorrow, but want to make it as bullet proof mechanically as I can.

I continue to not be a fan working in a cold,. damp,.and wet environment.
PXL_20231231_001105420.jpg

Nice! I've done this a few times, just making radiators fit and stuff. Last time was an 05 civic that had once hit a tree stump or something, and then years later the radiator started leaking. The lower core support was pushed back about 4 inches, i pulled it forwards with a winch, straightened the Pringle shaped a/c condenser, and the new radiator fit right in.

Reactions: GON
Back