Lastest auction purchase, 2005 Pontiac Vibe

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Purchased this for my Daughter in law who lives in a urban area, has never had a driver's license, and is in nursing school. My son may reject it as I think he may want something else for her. If so, I will figure out what to do with it.

Clear title 2095 Pontiac Vibe, 197k miles. Located in Montana. Through a low bid out there of $350, and won. With fees, a little under $600 all in.

Lots of hustlers in the car business, so I suspect something very wrong, or a flipper would have snatched this. We shall see.

vehicle_6.jpeg
vehicle_4.jpeg
vehicle_7.jpeg
vehicle_5.jpeg
vehicle_8.jpeg
vehicle_2.jpeg
vehicle_3.jpeg
vehicle_10.jpeg
vehicle_1.jpeg

Pontiac Vibe = Toyota......Matrix?

How are you going to transport it?

What's a NUMMI?
Pablo and Pimtec are bothe retired, maybe they will be a nice neighbor and go get it.

I don't know how I will get it just yet. I could fly out, but risk if it is not safe or roadworthy.

The only good transmission on those is the FWD automatic. And the 1.8 burns a lot of oil. Aside from that they're as fun as a corolla with more weight and wind resistance.

Pontiac Vibe = Toyota......Matrix?

How are you going to transport it?

What's a NUMMI?
As @Wrenchturner44 posted in #6, NUMMI was a joint effort between GM and Toyota to build small cars and trucks. A friend had one of the 1st Novas (stole the name); it was a nice little Corolla type car.
Before that, it was a GM plant; our 65 4-4-2 was built there. They also made trucks and El Caminos.
My 93 strippie Toyota 4wd was built there. The quality of the NUMMI cars was top notch; better than any other North American plant and better than the similar Japan made vehicles. Toyota did a strudy and found the combination of the American worker ingenuity and the Japanese manufacturing style (no muda) built great quality cars.
After NUMMI shuttered, the local community suffered because NUMMI was the biggest employer in the area. There were as many as 9,000 workers at their peak. Tax base was decimated. Homes were lost, restaurants and other businesses lost customers. Interestingly, NUMMI was building a Tundra line when they decided to close.
After Musk took over Tesla from Eberhard, he was looking for a factory, but NUMMI was far to big. Fremont gave him a sweetheart deal so he took on part of the large plant. They put out full page ads in the SJ Merc-News urging ex-NUMMI workers to apply. TV and radio as well. The Toyota investment in worker training was well known; they were good.
Today over 20,000 people work there and Tesla is always hiring. This was a key reason we bought our Model 3 in Dec 2018. I salute and support Tesla's efforts to employ so many in our community.

I toured NUMMI twice. The plant is about 15 miles north of me in Fremont, CA. Part of Silicon Valley. I worked across the street at Lam Research.

Last edited:
May in Montana looks a little more rugged that I had surmised!
Wyoming and Montana recently got some snow. Winter stays a long time in those states. BTW-I just tested my sprinklers today, they have been off 7 months.

Back