Possible salvage purchase- 2004 Pontiac Vibe

Boosted my bid up to $525. I need to put the coffee down..... coffee is for closers......

Car is very close to home, I love the ownership and maintenance records, and Oregon is super easy to convert a salvage title to a rebuilt title. Of note, never ever buy an Oregon car with a rebuilt title- no inspection of the work required whatsoever.

It's worth $525 but I would not go much higher. Looks like an easy fix and parts are cheap.
Yes, $525 is $823 after fees. One of today's bidders was from Mexico, so good chance he will show back up when the auction goes live. I suspect I still won't win this car. Motivation as mentioned earlier is car is close to me, and easy car to convert salvage title to rebuilt title. The only risk I see is finding the body parts is the same color.

Wonder what is wrong with this 2009 Vibe? Clean title and only 20 minutes from home.

Ad says missing radiator but runs and drives. First year of the second generation with the 2.4 4 cyl Toyota engine that had some issues with oil burning and loose head bolts. I like the looks of it.

Yes, $525 is $823 after fees. One of today's bidders was from Mexico, so good chance he will show back up when the auction goes live. I suspect I still won't win this car. Motivation as mentioned earlier is car is close to me, and easy car to convert salvage title to rebuilt title. The only risk I see is finding the body parts is the same color.
I know that on ebay you can buy painted aftermarket hoods and fenders already painted any color you want. You can easily have the parts painted too if you know the right people. On an older car like that I would even try to use a Krylon primer and a Krylon paint of the same color and follow up with Krylon clear. It might even be a perfect match if you are lucky.

If you buy the car have the frame shop install the front end parts for you. I have done that before and it makes the rebuild easier. I like the Vibe/Corolla platform it's a good one.

CPT B,

Thanks- I am out (I hope). That is actually a super nice car if one can find the hood and bumper in the same color. Hard to find a one owner Vibe, very well maintained (with records), West coast car at what I believe will be under $2500 all in after repairs and such.

I have a handful of other Vibes on watch. I was being cheap, came across a clean titled 2012 RAV4 with 69k miles, heavy hail damage in Texas, $12k. In today's world, that is a great vehicle at that price. That RAV4 sold 30 minutes after the auction house listed it as a buy it now.

Until then- I am not buying any more project cars?
View attachment 174663

I was fairly obsessed with getting a Vibe/Matrix and looked for one with a manual transmission around here for a year or two with no luck. I did test drive a couple but they were either to ragged out or to much money. Eventually ended up in my Mazda 3 hatch , which I have to say is a step up from vibe/matrix in nearly every way IMO. Doesn't get as good of gas mileage though..

Vibe sold at auction for $875 before fess, $1303 after fees. Winning buyer was from Brush Prairie, WA, which is about 30 +/- miles from the IAAI location. Likely the winning bidder previewed the Vibe.

Everything about this Vibe was good, even at $1303 it more likely than not a good vehicle to purchase if one was to keep the car.

Hasty update. The $875 did not meet the Seller's (State Farm Group Insurance) reserve. The Vibe will go back on auction next Wednesday, but also has a buy it now price of $1200, which is $1748 (best case) out the door.

Od note- State Farm Group Insurance valued this car pre-accident at $6529.

The Vibe went back on the auction block this morning. I was the winning bidder, overpaid.I am traveling for work all but one week in September, so went with what I am hopeful is a well maintained one owner vehicle that had a moderate fender bender. Will pickup the Vibe most likely tomorrow morning.

My Wife wants our daughter in Law (DIL) to have a car, and it doesn't help that I am finding "wins" for myself, but not for the DIL. Sometimes one has to spend more than they should to keep things nice at home.....

One factor in my williness to overpay was recent auction results which are showing strong buyer sentiment.

You did the right thing by getting that Vibe for the DIL. Based upon your previous assessment of the vehicle, I think it will be a walk in the park restoration for you.

Don't forget to stop by the Pick and Pull in Portland to see if you get lucky with the bumper and hood.

Gray Vibe at Portland P & P

There is now also a 2003 gray Vibe at that location in case the 2004 is missing either part (also the 2004's hood looks like it may have degraded clear coat).

2003 Gray Pontiac Vibe at Portland P & P

Good luck on your newest endeavor!

I was fairly obsessed with getting a Vibe/Matrix and looked for one with a manual transmission around here for a year or two with no luck. I did test drive a couple but they were either to ragged out or to much money. Eventually ended up in my Mazda 3 hatch , which I have to say is a step up from vibe/matrix in nearly every way IMO. Doesn't get as good of gas mileage though..
A guy a couple of hours away from me has a 2008 with 125K miles for $4500. The paint is starting to go bad but it was a Florida car so the undercarriage looks really good for the age. I'm on the fence so he'll probably sell it tomorrow.

Just loaded the vibe. It was hit harder in the front than I was hoping. Not a huge deal, but my best case scenario is not happening.

Car started right up without a jump pack. Zero signs of
PXL_20230901_152523652.jpg
PXL_20230901_153605213.jpg
PXL_20230901_153639465.jpg
PXL_20230901_153645900.jpg
PXL_20230901_153730901.jpg
PXL_20230901_154024705.jpg
PXL_20230901_154031687.jpg
PXL_20230901_154051987.jpg
corrosion. Off to the pick a part to hopefully get a hood and bumber.

Parts car showed on FB marketplace central tx, no title to me says you get my best offer, not $700.

Reactions: GON
Just pulled parts at pic n pull. Fifty percent off today. 90 for all this, and cores can being price down to $75.

Regrettably, the car that was recommended onseqrch for was perfect, but the exact parts needed to include hood and bumber were pulled. I am wondering if it was the guy I was bidding against.

PXL_20230901_163728363.jpg
PXL_20230901_181449217.jpg

Back