Lastest auction purchase, 2005 Pontiac Vibe

Looks like a possible winner. Might be just too old and too many miles for a flipper.

How does one go about driving a car like this home. Do you get a temporary tag before you go, or ???

I'd try the drive back w/some pre-trip prep back at home and some wrk on the other end. I
service the matrix/vibe wkly (3 or 4 of them) and it is a good car. 15 hrs coast - to far MT border
is not a big deal if the right prep is done. Ur a big boy so will not school you. I'd try it. The most
wrk might B the prep (people skills more than mechanics) not the driving~

Good Luck, I'm jealous
8^ )

Reactions: GON
Pics are dated 1/10/2023
Pics are taken when the vehicle gets "inprocessed " at the auction lot. Pics are a great way to see how long a vehicle has been at the auction lot. Most delays in auctioning a vehicle is waiting on the title to arrive at the auction house.

Looks like a possible winner. Might be just too old and too many miles for a flipper.

How does one go about driving a car like this home. Do you get a temporary tag before you go, or ???
The real issue is to have insurance coverage. I use USAA, so I can get covered, with written proof, instantly. Washington state offers temp tags.

Oh, what could *possibly* go wrong? LOL.
I studied the pictures. The car has steel rims all around, just the driver rear wheel cover got smashed in the accident. Pulled the carfax, Montana car its entire life. Pulled a build report, only "special" option is the car has a engine block heater from the factory. I wasn't thrilled with the published oil change intervals, but nothing I can do about that. Seems the prior owners were into 10k oil changes.

I think the back seat is dirty from the accident. The car appears to have slid off the road, based on speculation form the carfax report. The right side of the rear bumper has a hole in it. A Ebay search found a handful of these bumpers in the right color readily available.

Looking at the driver and front passenger seat, looks like the car may have been cared for by a responsible party. I am going to risk flying out and driving back. I will bring a jump pack and a tire inflater. The trip is a little under 500 miles. The big issue is flights are very expensive.

this is one of the 'preps" I meant. U cant talk w/some 1 out there as to drivability? They made their money,
I'd be willing to chat a min, several times. (But... obviously, I'm an odd ball) but NOT "unique" (in this).
aahahaha

this is one of the 'preps" I meant. U cant talk w/some 1 out there as to drivability? They made their money,
I'd be willing to chat a min, several times. (But... obviously, I'm an odd ball) but NOT "unique" (in this).
aahahaha
No,it's auction house and they won't answer a thing. it is their business model. I wrote to two mechanics with listing on the Missoula craigslist, provided detail on what I was wanting done. My message was well written and provided clear details.

One repsins.was." I charge $65 an hour", and nothing more. The other response was "I am to busy and have no place to store it".

So, dug deeper into why it was being auctioned, a one car accident. Looked at the maintenance records, and looked at the rear left wheel. Came to the conclusion more likely than not the car was driveable when it got in a accident. Making the assumption the damage is cosmetic.

Have a ticket to fly out Monday morning to Missoula. Not a cheap ticket. About 500 mile drive from Missoula to Tacoma, and the auction house is just three miles from the airport. If things go ok, should make it back to Tacoma same day.

WoW, ppl just want the buck, "gimme da money'n get odda here."
I once hada guy (like this) give me a hand'n put on 4 tires. Sent him what he said it cost'n drove 4 hrs home.

One guy I know flys out, rents a truck drives to the site. If needed he goes to the nearest twn to get a trailer, tows home. If
not returns truck, drives home (Chicago to TX, seeks the fox mustangs to restore, sell in Chitown).

Best of luck, will stay subscribed (as curious AND sending good vibes).

Have a ticket to fly out Monday morning to Missoula. Not a cheap ticket. About 500 mile drive from Missoula to Tacoma, and the auction house is just three miles from the airport. If things go ok, should make it back to Tacoma same day.

Don’t forget there is a pretty decent pass near the Montana Idaho border. Lookout Pass.

Don’t forget there is a pretty decent pass near the Montana Idaho border. Lookout Pass.
Pt, thanks. I have done that route andozen or so times. But memory is keeping me from the details. Wish I had your memory.

Pt, thanks. I have done that route andozen or so times. But memory is keeping me from the details. Wish I had your memory.

All I remember from the one time I traveled that way was the beauty of the drive. It’s a great one.

Pontiac Vibe = Toyota......Matrix?

How are you going to transport it?

What's a NUMMI?
y'all already covered the NUMMI part... the Vibe is basically a Matrix Cosplaying as a Pontiac. Both are essentially Corolla wagons.
The Vibe's were built at NUMMI, Matrices, somewhere in Canaidia...not sure if it was BC, or Ontario...
it's 95%+ Toyota, with a few GM components thrown in to mess things up.
My buddy put 120k on an '03 from 2010-2020, bought it summer of '03, w/120k mi. parked it summer 2020 when he picked up a 2012 Mazda 3
biggest problems he had (not caused by the accident it was in beforehand) were the blend door actuator stripping teeth, and clicking, HVAC blower only worked on HIGH( and yes we replaced both the blower motor,and the resistor.) he'd replaced the starter at least 3 times, but that could be from the shoddy accident repair...
and after 15 +yrs, and 200k mi, the ECU has an intermittent failure... some times it's fine, sometimes, no run...

and yes, the battery is basically wedged between the headlight, top rad hose, and air box. factory tie down is literally the same 2 j hook bolts and rubber/plastic handle universal deal you can buy in any parts store.
some burn oil, some don't. the filter (Fram **4967 for reference, is basically a Shorter **3416, and the **3600 may even clear..points straight down) with 4.5 qts of your finest 5w30.

Purchased this for my Daughter in law who lives in a urban area, has never had a driver's license, and is in nursing school. My son may reject it as I think he may want something else for her. If so, I will figure out what to do with it.

Clear title 2095 Pontiac Vibe, 197k miles. Located in Montana. Through a low bid out there of $350, and won. With fees, a little under $600 all in.

Lots of hustlers in the car business, so I suspect something very wrong, or a flipper would have snatched this. We shall see.

View attachment 155326View attachment 155327View attachment 155328View attachment 155329View attachment 155330View attachment 155331View attachment 155332View attachment 155333View attachment 155334
COOL! :sneaky:

I love these. I still have a soft spot for them. We test drove a MT version years ago and was sold on it, but it was for my ex and she wanted something taller and ended up in an escape. And this one looks repairable. At least with the manual, it was a well-balanced driveline-to-vehicle.

As @Wrenchturner44 posted in #6, NUMMI was a joint effort between GM and Toyota to build small cars and trucks. A friend had one of the 1st Novas (stole the name); it was a nice little Corolla type car.
Before that, it was a GM plant; our 65 4-4-2 was built there. They also made trucks and El Caminos.
My 93 strippie Toyota 4wd was built there. The quality of the NUMMI cars was top notch; better than any other North American plant and better than the similar Japan made vehicles. Toyota did a strudy and found the combination of the American worker ingenuity and the Japanese manufacturing style (no muda) built great quality cars.
After NUMMI shuttered, the local community suffered because NUMMI was the biggest employer in the area. There were as many as 9,000 workers at their peak. Tax base was decimated. Homes were lost, restaurants and other businesses lost customers. Interestingly, NUMMI was building a Tundra line when they decided to close.
After Musk took over Tesla from Eberhard, he was looking for a factory, but NUMMI was far to big. Fremont gave him a sweetheart deal so he took on part of the large plant. They put out full page ads in the SJ Merc-News urging ex-NUMMI workers to apply. TV and radio as well. The Toyota investment in worker training was well known; they were good.
Today over 20,000 people work there and Tesla is always hiring. This was a key reason we bought our Model 3 in Dec 2018. I salute and support Tesla's efforts to employ so many in our community.

I toured NUMMI twice. The plant is about 15 miles north of me in Fremont, CA. Part of Silicon Valley. I worked across the street at Lam Research.
So was the 95 Corolla I crushed last year (or the year before, I forgot). I remember it had like 45% Japanese content and 55% US, the power train was made in Japan, radiator was Harrison, interior US I assume. There was some minor plastic trim problems and the rear brake light harness melted in the contact but other than those minor problems, very reliable. I think the US vehicles were not designed well (the last 5% like plastic flashing and rigidity were horrible back in those days, almost like you have to buy a Buick if you want something with Corolla's fit and finish, but assembly was not too far off in comparison in the early 2000s.

Last edited:
Back