Lastest auction purchase, 2005 Pontiac Vibe

y'all already covered the NUMMI part... the Vibe is basically a Matrix Cosplaying as a Pontiac. Both are essentially Corolla wagons.
The Vibe's were built at NUMMI, Matrices, somewhere in Canaidia...not sure if it was BC, or Ontario...
it's 95%+ Toyota, with a few GM components thrown in to mess things up.
My buddy put 120k on an '03 from 2010-2020, bought it summer of '03, w/120k mi. parked it summer 2020 when he picked up a 2012 Mazda 3
biggest problems he had (not caused by the accident it was in beforehand) were the blend door actuator stripping teeth, and clicking, HVAC blower only worked on HIGH( and yes we replaced both the blower motor,and the resistor.) he'd replaced the starter at least 3 times, but that could be from the shoddy accident repair...
and after 15 +yrs, and 200k mi, the ECU has an intermittent failure... some times it's fine, sometimes, no run...

and yes, the battery is basically wedged between the headlight, top rad hose, and air box. factory tie down is literally the same 2 j hook bolts and rubber/plastic handle universal deal you can buy in any parts store.
some burn oil, some don't. the filter (Fram **4967 for reference, is basically a Shorter **3416, and the **3600 may even clear..points straight down) with 4.5 qts of your finest 5w30.

I recall that NUMMI went down about the time that GM went under or a bit before. I've also read that only the Vibe version was made there with the Matrix produced in BC. I believe that plant is gone as well.

A friend had a had a '03 or '04 fwd Vibe for a great many years. He had pretty much trouble-free service from it. I'm not sure when the 2.4 engine became an option on the Matrix/Vibe/Corolla. Somewhere along the line on the 1.8, there had been a SB with an ECM reflash to reduce oil burning. Not sure how that worked.

I recall that NUMMI went down about the time that GM went under or a bit before. I've also read that only the Vibe version was made there with the Matrix produced in BC. I believe that plant is gone as well.

A friend had a had a '03 or '04 fwd Vibe for a great many years. He had pretty much trouble-free service from it. I'm not sure when the 2.4 engine became an option on the Matrix/Vibe/Corolla. Somewhere along the line on the 1.8, there had been a SB with an ECM reflash to reduce oil burning. Not sure how that worked.
The 2.4 158hp 2AZ showed up for MY2009-2013
5 speed manual or 5 speed auto
AWD was available
Base models had the 1.8 2ZR and a 4 speed automatic

Matrix XRS or Vibe GT with the 1.8 Yamaha 2ZZ/6MT are mildly desirable now
Same with a Corolla S/XRS

My parents had a 05 Vibe with the manual transmission. That vehicle might go forever. It had 260K on it when it was given to a family friend. It's still going strong. Excellent car!

Last edited:
So was the 95 Corolla I crushed last year (or the year before, I forgot). I remember it had like 45% Japanese content and 55% US, the power train was made in Japan, radiator was Harrison, interior US I assume. There was some minor plastic trim problems and the rear brake light harness melted in the contact but other than those minor problems, very reliable. I think the US vehicles were not designed well (the last 5% like plastic flashing and rigidity were horrible back in those days, almost like you have to buy a Buick if you want something with Corolla's fit and finish, but assembly was not too far off in comparison in the early 2000s.

I had a 95 Tacoma assembled at NUMMI. Engine and transmission from Japan. That 45/55 number seems familiar to me. I also had some interior trim defects. I fixed them myself. The instrument panel plastic was hard and thin. As I recall the frames were built by Dana and the box came from elsewhere.

The power train was indestructible. I had the 2.7 four cylinder.

The first NUMMI years were pretty good. Then the drugs and alcohol issues came to light.

I had a 95 Tacoma assembled at NUMMI. Engine and transmission from Japan. That 45/55 number seems familiar to me. I also had some interior trim defects. I fixed them myself. The instrument panel plastic was hard and thin. As I recall the frames were built by Dana and the box came from elsewhere.

The power train was indestructible. I had the 2.7 four cylinder.

The first NUMMI years were pretty good. Then the drugs and alcohol issues came to light.
correct...my cousin worked there and let's just say lunch break was real interesting, to say the least. his stories were mind boggling to me...

In Missoula, decided not to keep the Vibe. This is a AWD model, which didn't come up in the build sheet (or I missed it). The front right axle is bad. The part is not available locally, and I didn't love the car. I was able to drive it to a local shop, and sold him the car. It was a loss. If the car was local to me, I would have fixed it. But without tools, and the axle not available locally, decided best to cut bait.

PXL_20230515_164550037.jpg
PXL_20230515_164543033.jpg
PXL_20230515_164535871.jpg
PXL_20230515_164600932.jpg

In Missoula, decided not to keep the Vibe. This is a AWD model, which didn't come up in the build sheet (or I missed it). The front right axle is bad. The part is not available locally, and I didn't love the car. I was able to drive it to a local shop, and sold him the car. It was a loss. If the car was local to me, I would have fixed it. But without tools, and the axle not available locally, decided best to cut bait.

View attachment 156213View attachment 156214View attachment 156215View attachment 156216
Sometimes you got to know when to fold ‘em..

Had several CHEVROLET Prizms with the 1.8 Ltr.. '99 (?) with 4 speed auto and a 2001(?) w/ 5 speed manual . Great cars . Were also known as ToyLets :rolleyes: . Both came from NUMMI . Also had a GEO Prizm sedan with th 1.8 Ltr. and 4 speed auto for brief time . That too was from NUMMI . Could get 44 m.p.g with the Prizm's 1.8 Ltr. and its 5 speed manual . Easy clutch and shifting . I think I put REDLINE MT-90 GL-4 in it .

Reactions: GON
Back