Porsche 991.2 Carrera S (3.0 twin turbo - NOT the "Turbo" model) - switching to Liqui Moly, but which one?

The thing about Mobil 1 is that their R&D is unsurpassed. Castrol is probably similar on that matter. With some other companies, you could be getting a generic, preapproved (requiring no actual testing) A40 add pack from an additive company mixed with some base oil, which is something even you can blend in your house.

I’ll add my question to OP’s as I’m in a similar boat, err car.

My new-to-me 991.2 Carrera T has had 2 dealer oil changes in 5500 miles. Both changes were with M1 0W-40.

When drained this engine retains about 3L of oil oil due to the turbos being low points in the oiling system. 3L of a full 10L will always be “old” oil.

Is there any issue switching from M1 0W-40 to Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 guven how much oil remains?

I’ll add my question to OP’s as I’m in a similar boat, err car.

My new-to-me 991.2 Carrera T has had 2 dealer oil changes in 5500 miles. Both changes were with M1 0W-40.

When drained this engine retains about 3L of oil oil due to the turbos being low points in the oiling system. 3L of a full 10L will always be “old” oil.

Is there any issue switching from M1 0W-40 to Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 guven how much oil remains?
It can’t be always old oil since it’s circulating. Change the oil earlier next time and you’ll get rid of it. No issues mixing m1 and Motul, even tho Motul is nothing special.

I would also stick to M1.

If you really want to get famcy you can switch to ravenol.

Here in europe Motul and liqui moly are in my opnion hyped up by their motorsports sponsorships but their oils are not really that special. (IMO)

I personally use shell (penzoil) helix with good results. Also used by a lot of oem's.

There is a lot of different opinions on this, but my rule of thumb is that a multi milion dollar oil producing company with milions r&d budget makes better oil than someone with a fancy website and motorspprt sponsoring.

Here in europe Motul and liqui moly are in my opnion hyped up by their motorsports sponsorships but their oils are not really that special. (IMO)

I personally use shell (penzoil) helix with good results. Also used by a lot of oem's.

There is a lot of different opinions on this, but my rule of thumb is that a multi milion dollar oil producing company with milions r&d budget makes better oil than someone with a fancy website and motorspprt sponsoring.

While I tend to agree with you there are some rather large Shells on the side of Ferrari F1 cars 😜

Motul is hyped up? Motul is present since cars are rolling. They were at Le Mans when Le Mans was at the peak and before that.

Motul is hyped up? Motul is present since cars are rolling. They were at Le Mans when Le Mans was at the peak and before that.
Yeah in the past they where pioneer with the first esters oils etc...

However in last years most of their oils where degraded from syntethic to HC.

Only their 300v line is still synth/ester based.

Ive had motul in my honda crf450 dirtbike because i thought that if the honda mx team where sponsered by them it should be good.

Recently i switched to shell advance (also cheaper) and shifting is now WAAYYYY better. First it was always notchy.

Motul is considered as a top brand in the eu motorcycle world. I guess mostly because they sponser every event in eu.

My brothers car ive switched to motul 5w40 xcess about a year ago.

Runs fine, however i recieved the german packaging and that stated that it was not syntetic.

I am not saying its a bad oil, only that its not some wonder oil because they are associated with motorsports. Same with lm.

Yeah in the past they where pioneer with the first esters oils etc...

However in last years most of their oils where degraded from syntethic to HC.

Only their 300v line is still synth/ester based.

Ive had motul in my honda crf450 dirtbike because i thought that if the honda mx team where sponsered by them it should be good.

Recently i switched to shell advance (also cheaper) and shifting is now WAAYYYY better. First it was always notchy.

Motul is considered as a top brand in the eu motorcycle world. I guess mostly because they sponser every event in eu.

My brothers car ive switched to motul 5w40 xcess about a year ago.

Runs fine, however i recieved the german packaging and that stated that it was not syntetic.

I am not saying its a bad oil, only that its not some wonder oil because they are associated with motorsports. Same with lm.
Well, most companies are using Group III. They do have several oils that are ester based, but what that means for you? Their Gen2 stuff looks exceptional. Their X-Clean+ has some esters if you are stuck on that.

I think people are confusing Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40 with their old stuff. The gen2 is 100% synthetic:

Attachments

• 7A94ABFC-969C-4A60-866B-4294F039C9CC.jpeg
    7A94ABFC-969C-4A60-866B-4294F039C9CC.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the add. New guy here. I've got a 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.2) with the twin turbo 3.0 L engine (Not the "Turbo" model, but still a turbo powered vehicle).
I've read lots of threads recommending other so called better oils and even the local performance Porsche independent mechanics recommend Liqui Moly for this vehicle instead of Mobil 1.
Looking for advice all around on whether or not to switch as well as which oil is best for this car. Thanks!
I always find it amusing when people tout the infallible expertise of Porsche independent mechanics. No, I wouldn't use Liqui Moly, their R&D program is mediocre. They are a relatively small company that managed to promote aggressively their name in Germany not through high tech products but rather through corporate social responsibility and erotic calendars...nothing wrong with an aggressive marketing campaign but as I said earlier, their oils were initially and remained for the most part - mediocre - through all these years.
If you want the best for your Porsche then Motul is a good candidate imho, as long as it's purchased from authorized distributor as there are many counterfeit Motul oils offered all over the Internet, Amazon included.
Motul is a sponsor on a well known Porsche forum and here is what they replied when someone asked a similar question. Hope this helps.

1613256473118.jpg

I always find it amusing when people tout the infallible expertise of Porsche independent mechanics. No, I wouldn't use Liqui Moly, their R&D program is mediocre. They are a relatively small company that managed to promote aggressively their name in Germany not through high tech products but rather through corporate social responsibility and erotic calendars...nothing wrong with an aggressive marketing campaign but as I said earlier, their oils were initially and remained for the most part - mediocre - through all these years.
agree on this part, i am also always a little sceptical about companies that sell oil additives. LM sells additives for every engine problem imaginable :ROFLMAO:

Large oil companies and manufacturers never sell or recomend and even forbid the use of additives. Whats needed is in the oil.

All products listed are suitable for use, in your particular case our Synthoil Energy A40 SAE 0W-40 is the best option, it is a Porsche specialty and is ideally suited for the use in your Cayman S.

Back