Porsche 991.2 Carrera S (3.0 twin turbo - NOT the "Turbo" model) - switching to Liqui Moly, but which one?

No, It's just that beginning in 2017, All of the Carrera models (Base, S, and GTS) which previously came with NA motors were upgraded to twin turbos. The 'Turbo' model has always incorporated turbos, but is a different and much more powerful motor. It confuses some people because now even the non-"Turbo" models are actually turbos. I hope that wasn't confusing.

Well heck even the Taycan has a Turbo variant now :unsure: :LOL:

Go to the Liquimoly website, there you can input the make/model/year of your car and Liquimoly will tell you which is the best oil for it.
Am I to infer that the "Turbo" is not OE and was added later?, if so then the Liquimoly recommendation will not work.

Here's their recommendations for my specific vehicle. Too many choices. I just want the best. Not the least costly suitable choice.

1612390084184.png

Pennzoil Euro 5w40
It has Porsche spec and API SP, meaning more LSPI protection.
Every other euro oil is SN only

Here's their recommendations for my specific vehicle. Too many choices. I just want the best. Not the least costly suitable choice.
Recommendations aren't the same as carrying the required approval for your vehicle. It appears you'd rather major on the minors rather than use the correct (and best) oil for your vehicle. You focus on "best", on grade, on brand, on what you "read, and on recommendations rather than what you should be focusing on.

Last edited:

Southern climate doesn't need a 0w so I'd use ANY A40 rated 5w40. I doubt any is any better than any other.

My vote is for Amsoil AFL or Redline Euro

Southern climate doesn't need a 0w so I'd use ANY A40 rated 5w40. I doubt any is any better than any other.

My vote is for Amsoil AFL or Redline Euro
Of course the Redline product does not have Porsche A40 approval, but the Amsoil product does.

But if you doubt any is better than any other, why not Mobil 1 or Castol 0W-40 from Walmart? Less than half the price and real A40 approval.

Last edited:
I thought all turbo engines are LSPI prone?
Not large displacement engines. Small engines yes, and not all.
For Porsche to have that issue in 2017 after LSPI debacle VW had with first generation of 1.4 TFSI engines, would be remarkable.
If that is the case, Porsche C40 approval will have LSPI test IMO.

Last edited:
Talk or proof of destroyed engines? People talk about LSPI in V8 naturally aspirated port injected engines, yet it doesn’t exist.
Didn't dig in, I have no Porsche so dont really care lol
Not large displacement engines. Small engines yes, and not all.
For Porsche to have that issue in 2017 after LSPI debacle VW had with first generation of 1.4 TFSI engines, would be remarkable.
If that is the case, Porsche C40 approval will have LSPI test IMO.
As always, thx for the good info!

Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful car. As long as the oil has A40 approval you’re good to go, everything else comes down to nit picking.

I personally would use M1. Regular oil changes will keep the car healthy. I wouldn’t really spend the dough on Motul unless I was buying their 300v. Castrol is another good choice as is the pennzoil. Best of luck.

Back