Poll; Worst car by Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why dont we put some of the Japanese junk from that era, I'll start:

Honda Accord 76-82 CVCC engines, head gaskets blew at 20K, front wheel bearings where part of the rotor which warped every 15K, rings toast at 60K, 2 spd junk automatics, camshafts( I swear I changed hundreds of em back then, fenders rusted quicke than an Aspens fenders, just total junk which should have haunted them to his day.

"Honda Accord 76-82 CVCC ..."

if you looked on the backside of the sheetmetal it said "Coca-cola" or "Pepsi"

wink.gif

those who grew up in the 50s-60s know where I'm coming from....

My choice, from experience, would be the Chevy Vega. At about 30,000 miles IIRC it began using quite a bit of oil. Gutless and problematic.

The ugliest car IMO was probably the AMC Pacer egg crate.

Someone dissed the Plymouth Duster earlier- I thought they were great cars especially with the slant six engine (my mom had a '73 that served her very well) but they had two quirks typical of Mopars of that era: the steering wheel was practically stuck in your chest and the power steering itself felt VERY strange. As one person many years ago dubbed it, "Dead-Center"- it took some real getting used to, just like my old '65 Coronet power steering did.

Oh, I forgot the third item that old Mopars did- the engines loved to die when the temperature gauge just came off the peg; they would continue to be cantankerous until they were fully warm. They'd start almost instantly first thing in the morning though!

Back to worst vehicles-

Mercury Mortifier.
Cadillac Firewood.
Chrysler "Lean-Burn" cars.

quote:

Originally posted by kingrob:

THE ST. REGIS cir.1980 - This was the California Highway Patrol's replacement for the Monaco's and Fury's of yore. It made every officer in CA curse the name of Chrysler for decades to come.

LOL I used to work on those! They had a 318 with 360 heads.

Small engine with big ports and valves. Not good for torque.

Huge 4bbl Carter TQ carb that could feed a 440.

2.2 axle ratio
shocked.gif
Capable of 60 mph in 1st gear
lol.gif
If you could wait that long.

We used to remove the cats, Plug the EGR and crank in as much timing as possible just so the fuzz could catch Speeding Pinto's and jeeps.

lol.gif

I was talking to a fella that used to drive one for the CHP, he said a guy in a Volvo robbed a supermarket in Pasadena and he was on the call. He was trying furiously to climb a hill with the pedal mashed all the way to the floor and a Pinto stationwagon full of drunk teenagers whizzed by him, laughing and flipping him off! He wasn't the one to catch the supermarket robber, btw (go figure).

After this incident he begged his boss to give him ANY other kind of vehicle available and finally got a five or six year old Royal Monaco that served him well into the mid eighties.

1974 Dodge Royal Monaco.... Now THAT was a car. Just ask Jake and Elwood.

I remember the Dodge 440 Magnum police cars very well- King County Police drove them among others. At least once their distinctive exhaust tone prevented me from getting in trouble!

Oh, yeah, worst cars... Fords with the external solenoid switches...

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
Whats a cadillac firewood??

They do not exist
grin.gif

I remember National Lampoon spoofing GM with the "Bulgemobile" cars- Fireblast, Blastfire, Flashbolt and Firewood. I laugh to this day when I think of it! That's where I got the name...

Actually, some years back I did see a '67 or so Cadillac done up El Camino-style. It was truly beautifully done too. So, I guess one could make their own 'Firewood' if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back