Poll; Worst car by Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
(re: K-car) "I don't think it's quality was much worse than the average car of it's era."

ouch.....

Ford Tempo!!!!!! If it were an applicance it would have to be sold at the $1 Store!!!! I had a 1985 with 50,000 miles on it when I got it. While the Body,Interior and Paint were 100% the rest was a shame. The engine and transmission were also in perfect mechanical shape. The problem was that the chasis was so soft and mushy that it made a corvair look safe. The engine was grossly underpowered. The steering was over boosted. The brakes were not up to snuff,the power train was dead by 80,000 miles and the elctrical was horrable.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Ford Tempo!!!!!! If it were an applicance it would have to be sold at the $1 Store!!!! I had a 1985 with 50,000 miles on it when I got it. While the Body,Interior and Paint were 100% the rest was a shame. The engine and transmission were also in perfect mechanical shape. The problem was that the chasis was so soft and mushy that it made a corvair look safe. The engine was grossly underpowered. The steering was over boosted. The brakes were not up to snuff,the power train was dead by 80,000 miles and the elctrical was horrable.

Sounds like yours was above average for
a Tempo.
grin.gif
My MIL bought one with about the same mileage on it. It looked like new but was a real ***. On top of that it had the oddball TRX tires, so each replacement tire would have cost more then the car was worth.

I had a Mavrick (about a 72 or so) when I was young and I couldn't kill it. It had the straight six in it.

The AMC Gremlin or Pacer may be candidates. The Gremlin I had was ugly but fairly stout. I look at the Pacer and ask "what were they thinking?".

I can't say I was too impressed with the Chevy Citation either.

My wife had an Omni of that era that was a terrible. Electrical issues, engine issues, transmission issues.

My parents had a 1973 Ford LTD that was a great car to drive. Smooth as can be and powerful too. I loved that horn button around the steering wheel rim!

Okay, who mumbled '74 Matador????

For years I have mentioned in conversation the raw brutal ugliness of that car. Few have seen one. I think they sold 5 or 6 at most.

The rear view is, in my opinion, the ugliest but other viewing angles also cause intense revulsion.

Pictures do not convey the pure unadulterated ugliness of the car. It has to be viewed in person to truly understand how ugly the car is.

Upon seeing the Matador in real life I fully understand why some species eat their young.... anything that has attained a certain ugliness level is reviled and the desire to rid one's self of the ugly thing can lead to digestion... or running away in terror or tossing a car into the crusher and sending it to Japan to be made into a Corolla.

I am unable to convey the dread I felt when I saw the Matador. Try a few pictures but, as I said, to truly comprehend horrid ugliness you have to see the abomination in person.

http://faculty.concord.edu/~chrisz/hobby/Courtesy/_74Coupe.html

OK, so the Maverick has earned disqualification from inclusion here by a 2 to 1 margin (4-2). Hurray for the Maverick! It doesn't suck as much as a Matador.

"AMC Matador Coupe
Even our sporty mid-size has a little Gremlin in it."

I guess you should have taken their word for it.
I hadn't really noticed them until a buddy in high school got one (in 1983). We called it the white whale. I cringed and averted my gaze out the window at its unspeakably awful interior, but giggled nervously at the multitude of swoopy, playful lines of the body. Thank goodness it didn't last long in his hands.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
OK, so the Maverick has earned disqualification from inclusion here by a 2 to 1 margin (4-2). Hurray for the Maverick! It doesn't suck as much as a Matador.

The Matador doesn't hold a candle to the Aztek for the ugly crown.

The Aztek is so ugly that Pontiac is denying it's existance. Pontiac is coming out with a new small SUV and saying it's their first SUV. Reminds me of the way the Stalnists removed officials from group pictures as the fell out of favor. When you are so ugly that your parents deny you ever existed, that defines ugly.

quote:

Originally posted by ArBee:
The AMC-built Renault Alliance of the 1980s should be right up there. Also, I recall the early Ford Tempos as really unpleasant cars.

The Alliance didn't last long enough to earn a bad reputation
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
The Aztek is so ugly that Pontiac is denying it's existance. Pontiac is coming out with a new small SUV and saying it's their first SUV. Reminds me of the way the Stalnists removed officials from group pictures as the fell out of favor. When you are so ugly that your parents deny you ever existed, that defines ugly.

When you boil it down, the Aztec is 'merely' unproportional (mostly). It still has that rugged, sturdy appearance of a mechanical rhinocerous. On the other hand, for its true gaudiness, cluttered ornamentation, and caleidescope lines, the Buick Rendezvous (sister to Aztec) must still be considered the most ugly, like a hippopotamous dressed up like a bellydancer or a bespectacled sow in two-tone prom gown. Because it is trying so much harder than the Aztec, and still falls on its face, I declare Rendezvous 'fugliest of them all.' The other day I saw one in acid yellow-green two-tone and went around the block for another dose of discomfort.

quote:

Originally posted by Jack Straw:
Keep in mind that AMC was not a Detroit company but rather a Kenosha, Wisconsin based company.

My picks for the worst Detroit cars of all time are as follows:

Chevy Citation
Chevy Vega
Ford Mustang II
Ford Bronco II
Ford Festiva
Pontiac Aztec
Chrysler Cordova (w/Corinthian leather)
Ford Maverick
Ford Pinto
Ford Granada
Caddilac Cimmeron
Mercury Comet
Dodge Omni
Mercury Bobcat

Dodge Omni? Are you sure? You obviously didn't figure out it's off roading/ mud bogging potential !!

Hey you could get a 401 in the Matador! Might be a smog engine but it had potential and was relativly easy to do regular maintenance on.

The AMC 401 had some tough steel! Ever try to bore out all 8 cyls with just 1 stone?

I vote for the Cad Seville with a 4.1L in it.

Styling- Awfull. Looks like an oversized Omni.

Engine- Gotta run stop leak in the coolant!

Engine- Eats camshafts and distributer drives.

Changing the oil filter is easy. It's right above the trans and covers it with oil so that it leaks on your driveway for a week after.

Alum block and iron heads! Get it hot and you warp the block.

I somehow remember when Penske was campaigning the Matador, his had 4 wheel disc brakes from a Porsche 917! Somewhere in the option list were the brake upgrades. Thats back when he had the big 917 Can-Am car.

I had a 1982 cimarron in 1999! It was a tough little bugger to have survived 17 years in Massachusetts city driving before I got my hands on it. Its carburetor was boggy junk but it got 30 mpg on the highway with the 3-speed automatic. Had tons of options, gauges, and very very nice power leather bucket seats. It was actually an entertaining (not fast or nice handling) car with an unassuming exterior. I put the last mile on it .
Picture of my dash

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
[QB]Its carburetor was boggy junk but it got 30 mpg on the highway with the 3-speed automatic.

I bet it has Rochester's 2 bbl Varajet. It is one very fine metering, efficient yet stout carb. It could beat the fuel injections earlier than ~1987.

There are junks. Such plain junks that I've been just ignorant, so I can't recall their names... all belong to 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back