please explain to me all the FRAM hating! - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LScowboy
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Nothing like the new guy on the block telling everyone they are clueless.

I joined BitOG in winter 2002/2003, nearly 5 years before you did, this is my 2nd user ID as I no longer have access to the registered email to my original ID. So you are actually the "newbie" from my perspective, buster!

And I didn't call anyone "clueless" - I merely asked why so many folks on online forums hate Fram, because I have never heard of a failure of one personally, and have been a an auto technician and an engineer for over 30 years, but I guess when you sell millions of oil filters every year, more than all of the other firms combined, at least someone is gonna have one fail, and it sounds like one of those folks was you - and apparently couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Not too intelligent to judge someone that you really no nothing of their background, your intellect may be a small subset of the fellow's you are currently berating at the moment. - Chill out man, life is too short, I didn't wreck your engine, I am just trying to catch up on when Fram became a bad word, it was thought of as the best for a long time. And looking at their sales even today, without even being the low priced ho of the market, apparently a lot of folks still like their filters besides me.

I never said you wrecked my engine. Where id d I say that?

You came on here all blustery about in my 30 years I have never seen a failed Fram and if you can name a better filter for XXX than a Fram name it and so on. Very aggressive and at times insulting. It came across like you were challenging anyone here with issues with Fram and were calling them out.

I actually am a really nice guy and I did not deserve it. I take great care of my vehicles hence my displeasure with Fram costing me an engine. I sold them for many years and could relate plenty of horror stories with their filters or talk about all the mechanics I had as regular customers who flat out refused to use a Fram filter. You may not have seen it but others have.

You came in with a big chip on your shoulder and were acting like you wanted a fight. Snide and sarcastic comments left and right and yet you are surprised that some folks got ticked off at your comments and called you on them?

Next time lead with "I am just trying to catch up on when Fram became a bad word" and you won't confuse folks with your intent.

I would disagree with the following comment of yours ..."it was thought of as the best for a long time." Now, I too have a long history in the auto field and Fram has never been considered "the best". Not around here anyway. Popular and used a lot yes but that doesn't mean it was ever thought of as the best. Much like today it was used so much because of price, ease of availability, succesful marketing, and name brand recognition. It had a better reputation years ago than it does now but it has hardly ever been considered the best.

I don't want to start any further issues with you. You came across very aggressive and it raised my hackles because it seemed like you were basically saying anyone who dislikes Fram had nothing to back it up. We have lots of guys like that here so maybe I was gun shy. Sorry for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How sturdy is the plastic leafspring compared to the metal spring loaded design of Wix,etc?

Who uses a plastic leaf spring? Nobody that I've heard of.

I have used Fram on and off and have never had a problem with a single one. I did once have a purolator classic fail to seal but believe it or not I changed it out to a Fram. I still use all different types of oil filters but I like Motocraft the best. I just put a Fram on my ford taurus because it was a good deal and came with the oil. No problems.

In another thread, KCJeep was having all kinds of startup loud noise, a problem he attributed to anti-drainbacks not working, due to the fact that when he would remove filters at oil change time, most were essentially empty of oil and should have been full, he finally found an MC filter that would quiet his engine.

In defense of the orange can, I have never pulled one off that wasn't full of oil, so perhaps their ADBV is a great design, and perhaps it is truly the most important aspect of a filter, even though the rest of the OCOD filter is cheap and/or unimpressive looking - a lot of folks seem to want to equate perceived build quality with filter performance, and I would say that is quite a stretch to decide which filter is best via looks of the inside.

You came in with a big chip on your shoulder and were acting like you wanted a fight. Snide and sarcastic comments left and right and yet you are surprised that some folks got ticked off at your comments and called you on them?

There was no chip on the shoulder, no snide or sarcastic comments, and you were the only one on this entire forum to get ticked off and/or "call me out"

Let's not play revisionist history, let's just figure out which are the best performing filters, and why!
smile.gif

There was no chip on the shoulder, no snide or sarcastic comments, and you were the only one on this entire forum to get ticked off and/or "call me out"

Let's not play revisionist history, let's just figure out which are the best performing filters, and why!
smile.gif

Revisionist history or an accurate retelling of the what happened I guess is in the eye of the beholder. I sure read a lot of insulting, snide, and sarcastic comments from you that reeked of big chip on the shoulder not to mention hinted that if you had a failed Fram it was YOUR fault and not the [censored] product...

Your 1st post...

As an ASE certified mechanic for 35+ years, I have probably installed many thousands of the plain old Fram orange can Extra Guard oil filter - I have *never* even heard of any direct firsthand knowledge of one of these failing that was properly installed...

Is it that when someone screws up their oil change and hence their engine, they are pis-sed and want to find someone to blame/sue rather that admit they screwed up?...

Orange Can of Death? - BALONEY!

Then there was this gem where you challenge anyone to name a better filter than Fram you use in your car( how it comes across after your initial post - not as a real request for info - very defiant )...

if someone can tell me about a better oil filter for my Lexus LS400 than the Fram Ultra XG8600 at any price, and back it up, I would LOVE to hear about it!

And of course no one called you out on anything and you weren't aggressive and rude so who made this post using your username?...

actually, NOT - Consumer Reports has a 77 year history of no advertising and no bias, with the back issues which prove their results over time, so you wanna retract that goofy statement?

Now this one isn't insulting, snide, or sarcastic at all right? It was purely informative and not meant to tweak anyone's nose right?...

To all of the Fram haters out there, I think you are not gonna be real pleased when you find out who makes the K&N, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Toyota Racing Design (TRD) filters - hehe

All of this pages before I said a word. The thing about internet forums is most of them lock a post after a set time period so it can't be altered and you are left with a factual time line of who said what and when.

Maybe you don't intend it to come across the way it does but your posts in here( some of them )come across very badly. If you don't want to start something think about what you post 1st. The quotes above show you were aggrressive and challenging from the get go. I really don't know what you expected to get back?

I am willing to be done with this but you must be as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How sturdy is the plastic leafspring compared to the metal spring loaded design of Wix,etc?

All of the Frams have them,located on the dome end of the filter. Don't know if "leaf spring" is the proper term,that's what it's been called here.

All of the Frams have them,located on the dome end of the filter. Don't know if "leaf spring" is the proper term,that's what it's been called here.

You are referring to the bypass valve, which is glass impregnated nylon according to Fram. The leaf springs on Frams are steel, as they are on all filters that use leaf springs.

The bypass valve has been tested a bazillion times, there's a good video on it, and of the countless Frams I've seen dissected the bypass has never been broken. People pick on it anyway, hey it's a Fram!

Here it is, they show the bypass valve testing at about 8:28.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

You are referring to the bypass valve, which is glass impregnated nylon according to Fram. The leaf springs on Frams are steel, as they are on all filters that use leaf springs.

The bypass valve has been tested a bazillion times, there's a good video on it, and of the countless Frams I've seen dissected the bypass has never been broken. People pick on it anyway, hey it's a Fram!

Here it is, they show the bypass valve testing at about 8:28.

Now we know why FRAM has to cut back on internal filter quality; they have to pay for all the videos and PR they make.
lol.gif

Hah I just realized the guy behind the counter on the video is Motorking who posts here once in a while.

Yeah, the "plastic" bypass valve issue has been hashed and beaten to death in previous threads. IMO, it's a non-issue because it is material and a design that is up to the job, which has obviously proven by FRAM through rigorous testing.

with the millions of filters that Fram sells every year, and the fact that a defective filter could ruin an engine, if this were really an issue, it would be the lead story on CNN

I can see it now "Massive recall of defective oil filters that caused thousands of motorists to have their engines to burn up, stock price plunges"

there is a reason you have never heard this headline, because you have about as good of a chance of an OCOD ruining your engine as you do at winning the powerball - sure, it could happen, but what are the odds? - any part that is made in the millions can have a defective one show up, but if this were a problem that was anything beyond crazy rare, it would have been all over the news and also common knowledge in mechanic's shop talk. - It's not.

Last edited:
It's not about if FRAM is more likely to fail than some other leading brand or not. There have been plenty of other brands of oil filters that have failed in one way or another. I've seen many threads about it on this board, and I even posted one myself (Purolator Classic media tear).

It's all about the design, construction and performance of the filter vs. the price you pay for it compared to the competition. Boils down to personal choice based on how someone perceives the product and how they want to spend thier money. These are the factors that any smart company looks at to provide a product that sells.

It's not about if FRAM is more likely to fail than some other leading brand or not. There have been plenty of other brands of oil filters that have failed in one way or another. I've seen many threads about it on this board, and I even posted one myself (Purolator Classic media tear).

It's all about the design, construction and performance of the filter vs. the price you pay for it compared to the competition. Boils down to personal choice based on how someone perceives the product and how they want to spend thier money. These are the factors that any smart company looks at to provide a product that sells.

I agree. There is nothing good about Extra Guard to demand higher price than Purolator Classic.

I used Extra Guard when there was no other choice at the auto part store when I was there for something else. I don't like driving around to find better filter for similar or lower price. I think air filter is more importance than oil filter in a clean engine.

The Tough Guard is a good filter even it has cardboard end caps, the minor problem is a little higher price than it should be.

Why?

I've seen them fail in alot of racing applications,so no way in [censored] would I trust a filter on my street vehicle that I need to depend on day to day useage.

I'm not changing my mind as many engine builders also do not like fram oil filters.

You people that run them,good luck!

but if this were a problem that was anything beyond crazy rare, it would have been all over the news and also common knowledge in mechanic's shop talk. - It's not.

Seems like you are trying to milk this thread to infinity. Why is that? Your posts will not change anybody's mind and their posts won't change yours, so why?

Hah I just realized the guy behind the counter on the video is Motorking who posts here once in a while.

I have sent him several e-mails with no response back from him. Either he's not as smart as he comes across to everyone or my Q?s are too challenging.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I have sent him several e-mails with no response back from him. Either he's not as smart as he comes across to everyone or my Q?s are too challenging.

I'm betting Jay is way too busy to answer 100s of questions through chat boards and PMs.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I'm betting Jay is way too busy to answer 100s of questions through chat boards and PMs.
grin.gif

Yeah, most likely.
I hate Honda ATV carburetors.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back