This filter is a mystery to me!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before y'all say "do a search" - I did, all over the place. Only thing I could find was ONE youtube video - I'll talk about that shortly.

SO, I happened to come across a brand new oil filter recently discarded, lying on the ground near waste bins right by a place that has fleet trucks. I figured, heck, let's take a look at this. I picked it up, opened the container, and the filter is brand new, even had plastic wrapped around it and it was still inside a box, too!

The filter is a PRIME GUARD POF4651, and coincidentally on the filter itself has an 'application interchange' chart, showing what cross ref'd filters it can replace.

The cross references are:
Fram PH2
AC Delco PF1250
Champ PH820
Mighty M4651
SVC Champ OF4561
Wix 51372
Group 7 V4651
Purolator L24651
Valvoline VO47
Quaker State QS2
Pennzoil PZ42

And, not on the filter itself - though I want to mention it - all these cross ref to the Motorcraft FL820s, which just so happens to be the filter that fits my truck (see sig).

Also, the filter has "ISO/QS/TS16949 Certified Manufacturer" printed below the chart on the filter.

It has 8 holes (obviously besides the main screw on hole), and a black adbv; black gasket, I assume rubber/nitrile but idk for sure. Looking inside, the bypass is on the dome end.

Can anyone tell me anything about this filter? Who makes it? Is it a good/bad filter?

P.S. As I mentioned, the only thing I could find was a youtube video, and it showed that the filter was insanely had to get off, the guy had to end up pounding a crow bar into it and turning loose like that. Sounds to me like this might be a rebranded Fram. Not hating or anything, but I had an incident with an orange can (this was before I was ever a BITOG member; only have ever used an orange can once, and never will again) that was exactly the same as in the video. IF someone can prove it to be something other than a rebranded fram, then I might use it sometime down the road, but I have a stockpile of much better filters for my truck already, so...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Recent dissection thread on PG linked below. My best guess based on all it's construction features including plastic shrink wrap on base end and coil retainer spring, they are made in China filters very similar to the AAP DriveWorks.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3316228/Almost_new_Primeguard_4612_cut

Wow, nice pics!!! I am decently surprised to see that it has metal endcaps holding it together. It honestly does look good quality. And I can vouch for the thickness of the can!

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
http://www.primeautomotive.com/Filter_App_Guide/Prime Guard Filter Catalog 2014 Web.pdf

Well I'll be darned, it actually fulfills OEM warranty requirements!

I guess I should push away the doubts I had before, this seems like a pretty legit filter.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Looks like this is the house brand for a Mississippi auto parts distributor:

http://www.primeautomotive.com/prime_guard2010.html

Could be a USA made filter, but with that ISO certification it also could be a Chinese import. Call the 800 number shown on the web site and get some details.

Nah, I don't even care to call about it. I've seen enough evidence already to understand this filter should do just fine.

THANKS everyone! I knew I could count on my fellow BITOG-ers to rile up some info.
Looks like I just got myself a decent filter for free!

I presume that a mechanic at the truck yard was sent a wrong filter and rather than hassle with it threw it away. It sounds like this one can be used just fine.

Spin on filters are rarely hard to get off unless they were on way too tight in the first place or unless there is just no room in the engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back