Interchange for Generac Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what Fram/Wix/Champ oil filter I can use to replace a generac # 0A86220296 for a big propane generator. The price on these a ridiculous and it looks like a plain old PH820 in champ brand.

Anyone know this?

you can use just about any oil filter provided that the threads are the same, and the gasket still seals on the base.

I'm looking for a cross reference now.
I know my grandpa's Kohler 18 kw gen set uses the same filter as an older v6 Camry. Purolator L10241, Actually his mower, my mower, and my mom's motorcycle all use the same filter.

Fleetguards website was able to cross the OEM #, and then from there I could cross the fleetguard #:

Fleetguard: LF3462
Baldwin: B179
Wix: 51334
Purolator Classic: L14459
Purolator Pureone: PL14459

pick your favorite or cross it to a different brand

Last edited:
Thanks alot!

I can buy champ brand for $3.49 and Hastings brand for $5.62.

Generac wants $20 for the same filter....What a joke that is.

Personally I get squeamish when taking a parts number and cross-referencing it to another brand, then cross-referencing that to yet another brand... Remember that lesson in school when one student gave a message to another, then each kid repeated it one-by-one down the line, with the last kid very incorrectly saying, "It was something about a blue unicorn who ate waffles at midnight." I did a quick check of the Wix website (just a random choice), and the "Filter Look Up" catalog will tell you the exact filter required for a Generac generator if you know the engine used (such as a "GN410 engine"). No need for "close enough" here -- just tell one of the online catalogs which specific Generac you have, and it'll answer you.

many filters will fit, Motorcraft FL 400, heck, the FL 1A will fit, albeit real tight. Wix has filters that will fit, 51348 and the 51516. I have am Amsoil EAO 34 on mine, and am well pleased with the service from it.

Hello from FRAM

Part Number PH9688

Zoom PH9688_030111.jpg

Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on

Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.13"
Gasket O.D. 2.42"
Gasket Thickness .2"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 3.08"
Product I.D. 20mmx1.5mm Th'd
Product O.D. 3.02"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 9-15
This will work fine for you. We have a full cross reference on our website that lists all details including thread sizes, valve settings and dimensions.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
many filters will fit, Motorcraft FL 400, heck, the FL 1A will fit, albeit real tight. Wix has filters that will fit, 51348 and the 51516. I have am Amsoil EAO 34 on mine, and am well pleased with the service from it.

I'm not sure about the Amsoil, because I didn't take the time to look it up, but I wouldn't use any of the filters you mentioned in that application.

All of the filters that are spec'd for that application have a metric thread @ 20x1.5mm, and a O.D./I.D gasket size in the neighborhood of 2.4"/2.1",give or take a few fractions of an inch. The FL1A and company have an Imperial thread, and a gasket that is nearly a half inch (.4) larger at 2.8" o.d.

The FL1A is a great filter, but it doesn't fit on everything.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer

I'm not sure about the Amsoil, because I didn't take the time to look it up, but I wouldn't use any of the filters you mentioned in that application.

All of the filters that are spec'd for that application have a metric thread @ 20x1.5mm, and a O.D./I.D gasket size in the neighborhood of 2.4"/2.1",give or take a few fractions of an inch. The FL1A and company have an Imperial thread, and a gasket that is nearly a half inch (.4) larger at 2.8" o.d.

The 400 is not a metric thread

Allow me to restate:
All of the filters that are spec'd for that application have a metric thread @ 20x1.5mm.
The FL1A, FL 400, Wix 51348 and the 51516 have an Imperial thread, and will not fit on that generator.

Allow me to restate:
All of the filters that are spec'd for that application have a metric thread @ 20x1.5mm.
The FL1A, FL 400, Wix 51348 and the 51516 have an Imperial thread, and will not fit on that generator.

They have all fit just fine on my Generac, and are on there now and not leaking. Recently ran 19 hours with the Amsoil filter in a power outage with no leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back