Transmission fluid should never be changed. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Master ACiD

it isnt any more difficult to replace or check the fluid in an autowithout a dipstick as compared to a manual without one.

I take it you've never had the pleasure of adding ATF to a GM 4L30E then. (Isuzu Rodeo, Trooper, Caddy Catera, some BMW's) You actually have to pump ATF up through a port in the pan. Good times I tell ya.

Joel

It's too late now, but someone has posted several times a diagram of the 4T40/4T45 in the transmission fluid forum which clearly shows where the level checking plug is.

I've also posted in that forum several times that you need about 7 quarts to refill the transmission after removing the pan, and that if you remove the level checking plug without the engine running you will get about 4 quarts out of it, leaving only three to come through the pan.

You could even use this to do a partial fluid change without dropping the pan.

I'm curious as to what plug you remove that emptied all the fluid..that one doesn't seem to be documented in the GM service manual.

Originally Posted By: JTK

it isnt any more difficult to replace or check the fluid in an autowithout a dipstick as compared to a manual without one.

I take it you've never had the pleasure of adding ATF to a GM 4L30E then. (Isuzu Rodeo, Trooper, Caddy Catera, some BMW's) You actually have to pump ATF up through a port in the pan. Good times I tell ya.

Joel

I may be reading you wrong, but I thought it would be hard on my Jetta. Then I realized, you just need to place a hose on the filler neck, then route that hose up to the top of the engine bay, place a funnel on it, and fill'er up. Actually, if you go to your local AZ or Checker, they already have this item for about two bucks. Just a simple plastic tube with a funnel on one end, and the filler end is small enough to fit inside the filler neck on the transmission. All gravity fed, and no spilling. Piece of cake.

When I did my Jetta I took my time and measured (down to the drop) the exact amount that I took out. Then just refill with this same amount. It was easy.

GM FWD trannies take 7.4 quarts when you drop the pan and filter. You really don't even need to fool with the plug. Your level will be correct within 1/2 a quart.

Originally Posted By: crw
Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

I may be reading you wrong, but I thought it would be hard on my Jetta. Then I realized, you just need to place a hose on the filler neck, then route that hose up to the top of the engine bay, place a funnel on it, and fill'er up. Actually, if you go to your local AZ or Checker, they already have this item for about two bucks. Just a simple plastic tube with a funnel on one end, and the filler end is small enough to fit inside the filler neck on the transmission. All gravity fed, and no spilling. Piece of cake.

When I did my Jetta I took my time and measured (down to the drop) the exact amount that I took out. Then just refill with this same amount. It was easy.

Same with my car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crw

I may be reading you wrong, but I thought it would be hard on my Jetta. Then I realized, you just need to place a hose on the filler neck..

Picture trying to fill your engine with oil through the pan drain plug hole. It's basically the same for the 4L30E trans. The fill/level check plug on the 4L30E faces downward and is stamped high into the corner of the transmission pan. I've done drains/fills on them. It's workable but not pretty.

Joel

Last edited:
You might consider getting a fluid extractor and pumping the fluid out hot. Very easy. Once you do it once you will avoid the pan drop like the plague and do it only when the filter needs changing.

Wow, that was pretty entertaining to read. I'm sure it will be a much smoother operation the next time. Pan drops are tedious but not difficult on my cars (they do have a dipstick). The over flow method of checking fluids sounds like more of a pain if it is difficult to get at. My rear diff. is easy to access and cold.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
It's too late now, but someone has posted several times a diagram of the 4T40/4T45 in the transmission fluid forum which clearly shows where the level checking plug is.

This probably says more about me than about the diagram, but I referred to it during the process. I still got the wrong plug.

Hmm, I had no trouble finding the level checking plug on my mom's car..I can even reach it without jacking the car up. It's very close to the oil drain plug on that car, which I can also reach without jacking it up.

Keep in mind that if you wish to reduce the mess, drain the pan via the cooling lines before pulling the pan down or use a fluid extractor like road_rascal and PT1. It should reduce its volume to next to nothing.

Good job on the clean up.
smile.gif

Great pictures and story by the way!
cheers3.gif

Why did you replace the reusable gasket with that [censored] paper one? The factory gasket provides a much more reliable seal. It's too late now, but I hope you didn't throw it out, you can use it next time you change the fluid. They're like $20-$40, too.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Why did you replace the reusable gasket with that [censored] paper one? The factory gasket provides a much more reliable seal. It's too late now, but I hope you didn't throw it out, you can use it next time you change the fluid. They're like $20-$40, too.

Umm, I didn't know it's reusable. Lol. So far no leaks, though.

Last edited:
I feal your pain, or should I say my hands do. I am still doing my change. fill plug less than an inch from the exhaust. Had to make my own T40 tools. Car has to be jacked up front and back. I even took it to a "GOODWRENCH" only to be told. Can't do it, don't have the tool. LOL ! That's why I did it myself.. but the pain.. I figure a few weeks my hands will have all new skin. I am
glad I did it. 33K and the fluid was black as night.

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." Words to live by.

Never do anything in 30 minutes that will take you three days to clean up after.

Oooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Slow is accurate...Accurate is fast.

Repeat as required.

Originally Posted By: porkfarm
I feal your pain, or should I say my hands do. I am still doing my change. fill plug less than an inch from the exhaust. Had to make my own T40 tools. Car has to be jacked up front and back. I even took it to a "GOODWRENCH" only to be told. Can't do it, don't have the tool. LOL ! That's why I did it myself.. but the pain.. I figure a few weeks my hands will have all new skin. I am
glad I did it. 33K and the fluid was black as night.

There's something wrong with your tranny, then. Mine's been in there for almost 8 years, 55k miles, and still looked nice and translucent cherry red.

Might be why GM went to DEX VI . This was DEX III and I bought the car used with 25K. Just felt a slight shudder. I will check again in another 20K. Next time I change, I am going to triple check how much comes out the drain plug and pump the exact amount back in with the car jacked up higher on one side, so I can get it all in without any spills. Oh and it can be cold. Glad the rear diff was a ten minute job and not much blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back