Pics after a few MMO cycles in a Saturn 1.9L DOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got some spare time and had a chance to replace my valve/cam cover gasket which has been leaking since I got this 1996 Saturn SC2 a few months ago for use as my commuter ride.

A couple of details...it had 110k miles on it when I got it and has a bit over 116k now. The previous owner was a bit "lax" with maintenance. She had "all the repair records," but there appeared to be a grand total of about 10 oil changes over the course of 110k miles. Peering in through the oil fill hole revealed what appeared to be a fair amount of sludge. Thank goodness Saturns are known oil burners and that plenty of make-up oil likely kept the additive packs up to snuff (I hope). It ran OK, but there was a slight tick, the oil was filthy, it was about 1.5 quarts low, and my guess is that it had been sitting parked for the last 1-2 years. I got it for a song, and drove it home from Philly to NY. Before I hit the freeway, I stopped in a Walmart and bought some supplies. I added 1qt of MMO and topped it off with Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic.

I didn't have time to change the oil until about 10 days later and in the meantime, I'd put about 1000 miles on the car. I kept it topped off with Rotella 5W-40 synth. When I finally had some time to change the oil, it was pretty dirty. At this juncture, it looked like hot fudge. However, the valvetrain tick had disappeared. I refilled with Rotella 5W-40 synthetic and a Fram ExtraGuard filter (I know...I know). At 2000 miles, I added a quart of MMO. Within a week and about 1000 miles later, the oil was the color and consistency of hot fudge again so I changed it. This time, I simply refilled with Mobil1 0W-30 and used a Fram ExtraGuard again. That was about 2000 miles ago and it has needed 1.5qts of make-up oil in that time. OK, so that's the back story.

Yesterday, I decided that I'm tired of the valve/cam cover leak and decided to replace the gasket. I got the Felpro kit from Napa. I was expecting to find a fairly grim picture when I opened things up based on the goop I'd drained twice before with the MMO runs. What I did find was a very clean engine. There is no discernable sludge...just a yellow "tint" of varnish on things. The flash on my cheesy mobile phone camera seems to bring out the yellow. But you'll note that you can't see any sludge. And you can even see the detailed "styrofoam looking" casting marks on the head. This is EXACTLY what things looked like when I took off the cover. I didn't clean anything (yet).

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

Would I use MMO in a clean engine with a known history of oil changes with quality oil? Nope.

But I would absolutely use it again for de-lousing a car with a suspect history, known sludge, or a "sticky lifter".

Best,

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Familyguy
I finally got some spare time and had a chance to replace my valve/cam cover gasket which has been leaking since I got this 1996 Saturn SC2 a few months ago for use as my commuter ride.

A couple of details...it had 110k miles on it when I got it and has a bit over 116k now. The previous owner was a bit "lax" with maintenance. She had "all the repair records," but there appeared to be a grand total of about 10 oil changes over the course of 110k miles. Peering in through the oil fill hole revealed what appeared to be a fair amount of sludge. Thank goodness Saturns are known oil burners and that plenty of make-up oil likely kept the additive packs up to snuff (I hope). It ran OK, but there was a slight tick, the oil was filthy, it was about 1.5 quarts low, and my guess is that it had been sitting parked for the last 1-2 years. I got it for a song, and drove it home from Philly to NY. Before I hit the freeway, I stopped in a Walmart and bought some supplies. I added 1qt of MMO and topped it off with Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic.

I didn't have time to change the oil until about 10 days later and in the meantime, I'd put about 1000 miles on the car. I kept it topped off with Rotella 5W-40 synth. When I finally had some time to change the oil, it was pretty dirty. At this juncture, it looked like hot fudge. However, the valvetrain tick had disappeared. I refilled with Rotella 5W-40 synthetic and a Fram ExtraGuard filter (I know...I know). At 2000 miles, I added a quart of MMO. Within a week and about 1000 miles later, the oil was the color and consistency of hot fudge again so I changed it. This time, I simply refilled with Mobil1 0W-30 and used a Fram ExtraGuard again. That was about 2000 miles ago and it has needed 1.5qts of make-up oil in that time. OK, so that's the back story.

Yesterday, I decided that I'm tired of the valve/cam cover leak and decided to replace the gasket. I got the Felpro kit from Napa. I was expecting to find a fairly grim picture when I opened things up based on the goop I'd drained twice before with the MMO runs. What I did find was a very clean engine. There is no discernable sludge...just a yellow "tint" of varnish on things. The flash on my cheesy mobile phone camera seems to bring out the yellow. But you'll note that you can't see any sludge. And you can even see the detailed "styrofoam looking" casting marks on the head. This is EXACTLY what things looked like when I took off the cover. I didn't clean anything (yet).

(removed bad image links)

Would I use MMO in a clean engine with a known history of oil changes with quality oil? Nope.

But I would absolutely use it again for de-lousing a car with a suspect history, known sludge, or a "sticky lifter".

Best,
I always add mmo to my oil for ur pics show why we should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with a fram filter, why apologize?

It might not be the best filter on planet earth, but with a $300 car, does it matter?

If there was something so wrong with fram filters, then we would hear stories about car after car blowing up due to them. Aside from this forum, I have yet to hear a negative fram story.

To be fair, there are no "before" pictures to compare. I believe MMO helps in both fuel and crankcase, however, and I wish that there were some "before" pictures to silence skeptics.

Nice!

My Saturn's oil comes out black EVERY time at 3k changes, even with many MMO runs. Sludged up, me thinks...

The thread title is a little misleading. I'd guess that the T6 had as much, if not more, to do with the "results" as the MMO.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The thread title is a little misleading. I'd guess that the T6 had as much, if not more, to do with the "results" as the MMO.

Agreed, not to mention the M1...

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Are you going to continue to use MMO to clean the varnish?

Nah. Varnish is pretty harmless. I'm just going to use plain ol' Mobil1 0W-30 from here on out.

Best,

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
To be fair, there are no "before" pictures to compare. I believe MMO helps in both fuel and crankcase, however, and I wish that there were some "before" pictures to silence skeptics.

Yep, that would have been ideal, but I didn't feel like doing this job twice. I'm sure there will be people second guessing and opining about MMO having nothing to do with the results, etc. I know what I did and I know what I saw. I'm convinced.

EDIT: LOL, it didn't take them long. *shrug*

Best,

Last edited:
Looks great man.. I will probably crack my valve cover again in a year or so, I plan on running synthetic at least over the winter (PP) and hopefully it makes things look a little better under there. Mine was not as clean as yours, but also no sludge or anything. I thought it looked pretty much fine for its age/miles but yours looks fantastic. Nice!

I would use MMO, but I can't find it in Canada.

Looks good familyguy. I've seen MMO clean up a few valvetrains, that's why I use it. Cheap product that works well. On my old Corolla, I tried ARX, then syn/HDEO oils. When I started adding MMO, I saw the most results.

You're right, that varnish won't hurt anything and the M1 will likely slowly clean it up.

VERY nice and clean! It's definitely a good cleaner from what I've read and seen.

SLCraig, drive across the border if you're close. I can get it at WM about 45 minutes from Ottawa. I drive over often enough with my US purchases that I have shipped to the UPS store there.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry

Yep, that would have been ideal, but I didn't feel like doing this job twice. I'm sure there will be people second guessing and opining about MMO having nothing to do with the results, etc. I know what I did and I know what I saw. I'm convinced.

EDIT: LOL, it didn't take them long. *shrug*

Best,

I'll take Familyguy's word, he has no agenda! Familyguy I'd bet if you continue another full OCI or two that varnish will disappear too. Those prictures prove what many of us have been saying all along! Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: webfors
VERY nice and clean! It's definitely a good cleaner from what I've read and seen.

SLCraig, drive across the border if you're close. I can get it at WM about 45 minutes from Ottawa. I drive over often enough with my US purchases that I have shipped to the UPS store there.

Do you know if they sell it at places like Autozone or Advance Auto?
I'm like an hour from Port Huron, MI.

saturns love MMO. I've done a few, always pretty good results. your varnish looks pretty typical of the breed. I'd run it, and do what every experienced S series owner does: keep a case in the trunk.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: webfors

Do you know if they sell it at places like Autozone or Advance Auto?
I'm like an hour from Port Huron, MI.

Every AAP and Auto Zone I've been to in the US had it.

marvelmysteryoil.com has a list of retailers. If you can't find it locally, I'd ask at their forums, someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

No Walmart in Canada? *gasp* lol.

My local WM sells the "pints" (basically, half-quart), and the quart bottles of MMO.

Out of curiosity, how long did you keep the MMO in the crankcase? How many miles?

When I purchased my 88 Dodge Aries a month or two ago, it previously sat for 2+ years, same gas in the tank, likely oil never changed in that time frame....actually, it still had a "MOPAR Parts and Service" "next oil change" sticker in the windshield, according to the "mileage" the OCI wasn't due, but it noted 4-28 lol....no year though lol. and it was quite faded sharpy pen of some sort :p

Sooooo.....I topped off the dipstick to full with the 1/2 quart (pint) of MMO, drove it a couple days and sure enough, it turned BLACK lol....got it drained out, LOF at Wally World for 30$ and told them to put another half-quart in there, along with 3 quarts of PYB 5-30.....I'm at about 1.5k miles now and the oil is fairly dark, no "golden" to it at all....

I'm kinda waiting for my Blackstone kit to come in the mail to get a sample of the oil to see if they notice anything out of the ordinary; coolant leak, water leak, fuel in the oil, etc...

I think I'll keep the MMO in this ride
smile.gif
Since it's obviously been neglected, she didn't have any records/receipts or anything, lol. The glove box is really tiny on this old car :p And it's been driven very short trips the majority of it's life.....to the corner store and back, church on sundays, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back