Using MMO in older Honda/Acura V-6 engines

My Ridgeline just turned 104K miles after almost 17 years of ownership, where my average OCI has been 5,300 miles using quality blends or full synthetics. I don't suspect much if any varnish or sludge in the motor, but I decided to add 12 ounces of MMO for the final 250 miles before my next oil change. Honda states in its owners manuals that it doesn't recommend using any oil additives. Is that a concern, or should I just leave the MMO in for 250-300 miles with no concerns?

Last edited:
I've used a few different additives (only in fuel though) and am of the opinion of they might not do much, but they at least won't hurt anything. I feel better after using them, hoping they do something.

Perfectly fine, I've added a qt to my Civic various times with no issues whatsoever.

My Ridgeline just turned 104K miles after almost 17 years of ownership, where my average OCI has been 5,300 miles using quality blends or full synthetics. I don't suspect much if any varnish or sludge in the motor, but I decided to add 12 ounces of MMO for the final 250 miles before my next oil change. Honda states in its owners manuals that it doesn't recommend using any oil additives. Is that a concern, or should I just leave the MMO in for 250-300 miles with no concerns?

I would say go for it NB…

Funny as my step father and mom have a Honda Ridgeline almost the exact same age as yours. It has 134,000 plus miles on it now.

Great vehicle… Paint is in very good shape, no leaking anywhere, interior and n very good shape. I have had to borrow it a few times because of my Nissan and Honda having troubles. I really enjoyed driving the Ridgeline.

Funny part of this story…

My step father got it from his long time friend Frankie. A really, really good guy… Well Frankie has some early dementia and has other health issues. Frankie’s wife died over 10 years ago and it really was very hard on him. I believe that accelerated his early onset dementia. Frankie worked at Anheuser Busch in Williamsburg. Frankie made very good money there and retired some time ago.

Well Frankie had forgotten that he had a lot of money…. His home paid for and the Ridgeline too. For a number of years both had been paid for. Well my step father Cornell is a very, very, very good man and real friend. He helped Frankie get his health care in order and get his taxes paid up on his home. Frankie was not far from losing his home due to unpaid property taxes. Frankie was very very grateful and thankful for the help. Which continues to this day every day in fact. Frankie sold Cornell the Honda Ridgeline for a good deal.

Cornell let Frankie know that he had a lot of money and threat he could buy a new truck. Frankie was shocked and said, “ Really… I got that much money?” Well that went truck shopping and they got Frankie a $40,000 truck and paid for it in straight CASH. He really had a lot of money to do that with no problem.

And Cornell and my mom got a very nice Ridgeline too.

I would never had poured anything other than oil into the crankcase. You are worrying over nothing. It's doubtful you have a dirty engine when you regularly change oil around 5k miles.
I never could understand why so many get obsessed with a shiny engine inside.

It ain’t gonna hurt and may do some cleaning.
Many will say it’s useless and can’t clean and many will say it has penetrating abilities and can clean.
I believe it does some cleaning.
I like Rislone tree though.

What is MMO?

OEMs always say not to add stuff to the oils, because they have ZERO control over what some moron might put into the crankcase in their lame attempt to outthink the lube engineers.

There are some very good additives that can be used. Most are more expensive and take a long time to give good results; two things most people have little tolerance for. Basically, ester formulations are what you should be looking for.
- ARX has shown good results in many applications
- HPL EC has shown fantastic results; it's also a ester formulation, blended into motor oil
- HPLs motor oils have a significant amount of esters and ANs added (some of the best "cleaning" oils out there right now)
These don't clean in 10 minutes; they take 3-5k miles to do their work. But they do a much better job than MMO or any other "quick fix" product.

many will say it has penetrating abilities and can clean.
And many (if it’s that high) will be very wrong. If MMO was beneficial, oil manufacturers would be adding pale oil and wintergreen smell to their products.

They’re not. The oils that have true cleaning abilities have alkylated naphthalenes and esters added, since those are the chemicals that have cleaning abilities.

Just say no to keeping misconceptions alive thru blind repetition.

OEMs always say not to add stuff to the oils
They say this because they can't - and won't and shouldn't - test different ones. They can say with 100% confidence that they're not needed, but whether they help or harm, they're not going there. They definitely aren't going to "recommend" or endorse any either.

It's not that critical to check some of my owners manuals, but they probably says "you don't need to use..." vs "do not use", don't they ?

Reactions: wlk
5300 Mile OCI's with Quality Oils and you did not suspect any issues then why did you decide to add MMO? All car Manufactures except Tesla, LOL, do not recommend using any oil additives.

Leave the MMO in there, what oil are you using now and what oils have you used in the Past?

5300 Mile OCI's with Quality Oils and you did not suspect any issues then why did you decide to add MMO? All car Manufactures except Tesla, LOL, do not recommend using any oil additives.

Leave the MMO in there, what oil are you using now and what oils have you used in the Past?
It's called OCD.
5w-20 OIL CHANGES BY MOTOR OIL BRAND
676 Super synthetic blend
5Conoco synthetic blend
2Havoline PDS synthetic
1Federated Auto synthetic (Amalie)
1Havoline synthetic blend
1Lubrigold synthetic
1Mag1 High Mileage synthetic blend
1Motorcraft synthetic blend
1Pennzoil Platinum synthetic

Last edited: