Marvel Mystery Oil fixed my compression and misfire issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec. It only has 107k miles. I bought it with 103,300 ish miles.

So about 2 months ago, random misfires started occurring. I've been having random misfire issues on cylinder 1,2,3, and 4 for about two months. These cylinders are the two front cylinders, and the middle cylinders on each bank.

The engine was running rough enough for me to realize that my engine was misfiring. About once a week, I would get a P0300. The P0300 was always pending, but once a week, the counts would rack up and cause the engine light to come on.

About 6 months ago, I’ve replaced the spider injectors, and the lower intake gaskets, so I knew these weren’t causing the misfires. I also always run a bottle of Techron about once a month, so I knew the fuel injectors were clean enough.

So I checked the distributor, spark plugs, wires, ignition coils, ICM, and the vaccum. Camshaft retard was also at 0 degrees. Everything was in great shape and was working properly, verified by my scan tool and the tests I performed. When I took the distributor out, the lifter valley was pretty brown looking, little bits of sludge on the inside. But the distributor gear didn’t have that much wear on them. Rotor and cap was also clean. I also took off the valve covers to actually look at the rockers to make sure they were opening and closing all the way, and they were.

So I decided to do a compression test. And the compression on cylinder 1,2,3 and 4 was lower than the rest. Number 1 was the lowest of them all, reading at 105psi. I got worried, because I was thinking maybe somebody swapped a junkyard Vortec before I bought it.

I had a bottle of marvel mystery oil laying around in the garage, so I added some to the crank case. I drove with it in my engine for about 3 days, and the misfires disappeared. The engine started smoothing out the more I drove it. The misfire counters are reading zero now, and the history counts are also zero.

I just checked the compression again yesterday, and the compression was all pretty much equal across all cylinders, nice and high in the 145-155psi range. I took the distributor out again, and the lifter valley was noticeably cleaner, still brown, but the bits of sludge was all gone.

The crazy thing is I’ve been using Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil this whole year, and I’ve been changing the oil every 3 months. What’s up with that BITOG?

So, the moral of the story is, MMO does work.
I don’t know how well it works as a fuel system cleaner, but it sure did work very well in the crank case for me.

Anybody that has low compression, and a dirty engine, use some MMO. It works very very well. I don’t think it’s snake oil :)

So, the moral of the story is, MMO does work.
I don’t know how well it works as a fuel system cleaner, but it sure did work very well in the crank case for me.

Anybody that has low compression, and a dirty engine, use some MMO. It works very very well. I don’t think it’s snake oil :)
You are going to unhinge some here. I agree it DOES work regardless of the "snake oil" accusations that will come.

I generally don't use additives, and I think they are unnecessary in mostly healthy engines but yours is a perfect example where they do have their place. MMO has been effective for generations. Its not a bottle of junk.

In 2010 at about 60K miles, I put in a quart of MMO in a Mercury Mariner Duratec V-6. After being in for a couple of weeks I did a OCI. Talk about some dark oil. At the end of the next OCI I treated again, not nearly as dark. IMO it clearly cleaned something out of there. YMMV

You are going to unhinge some here. I agree it DOES work regardless of the "snake oil" accusations that will come.

I generally don't use additives, and I think they are unnecessary in mostly healthy engines but yours is a perfect example where they do have their place. MMO has been effective for generations. Its not a bottle of junk.
Yep, it unhinges some people every time. I had good luck with it, now over 5 decades. I haven't had a need to use it in a few years though, age is creeping up I guess, and oil has gotten better. Oh and I haven't bought a used car in many years, so I know how my fleet is maintained. :) Merry Christmas!!

Last edited:
Without before/after photos, without scientific proof, your post will be nothing but another anecdote in the sea of anecdotes. Thank you for sharing though.

Tbh, BITOG is 99% anecdotes. But anyways, I really wasn’t even planning to share this story. The only reason why I decided to share this story was because I’ve been using Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 for a year, and compression issues started developing. Just gotta give it a couple more days, Euro 0w40 lovers will have a fit :)

and also I wasn’t a MMO believer, but it was my last resort, as I was getting really frustrated from throwing money and parts at my truck. I just decided to share it because MMO was the only thing that made a difference. I have no reason to lie, because I was losing my mind over this misfire issue for 2 months.

Tbh, BITOG is 99% anecdotes. But anyways, I really wasn’t even planning to share this story. The only reason why I decided to share this story was because I’ve been using Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 for a year, and compression issues started developing. Just gotta give it a couple more days, Euro 0w40 lovers will have a fit :)

and also I wasn’t a MMO believer, but it was my last resort, as I was getting really frustrated from throwing money and parts at my truck. I just decided to share it because MMO was the only thing that made a difference. I have no reason to lie, because I was losing my mind over this misfire issue for 2 months.
Loose ground wire.

Yes as is your post, as is the conclusion that "Euro 0w40" was the cause of a problem.

Actually your post is not an anecdote but rather a testimonial.

You are attributing causality to mere coincidence.

Mobil 1 may have been a change in oil, and the misfires may have started subsequent to that change, but there is no evidence that Mobil 1 caused your misfires, or lowered your compression.

Sometimes, I wish I could walk by each car being worked on near my shop, and shake a stick over them, chanting ”Ugga booga”.

Then when the car is fixed, I could go back and take credit. Clearly, the car was broken. Also, clearly, my sorcerous use of the stick with the incantation happened before the car was fixed.

Ergo, I fixed the car with my magic.

See how that works?

Correlation. Not necessarily causation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back