Camry misfires and CEL P0301

Lets see, 15 "diagnosers", divided by, lets say roughly 2 hours of "work" @ going rate of ~ $125.00/hour = $16.66 each. I'l take payment in IPA :p.
I should've seen that "dent" in the coil pack earlier. I was running on fumes from 3~ hours of sleep

All good. Now you can sell it with a clean conscious. A rarity these days.
Ehhh I might just keep it. Cheaper to maintain a Toyota than say a Mercedes or something. I had my eyes on a 2005 E320 with/120k miles. Super clean but diagnosing a Mercedes is 10x worse than a Toyota. Parts might not be much more than the Toyota but factor in gas and stuff. Not worth it. Yes, the Camry burns a little oil (a known issue on these 2AZ-Fe motors) but still easier on my pockets vs another German car as a beater.

RockAuto sells authentic NGK spark plugs. When I purchased the set for my nephew's car from RockAuto Last Summer I called NGK to verify that they were authentic and they had me look at a section of the side of the spark plug and read off some numbers and after I did they said that they were authentic.
I brought NGK plugs off rockauto for dsds Honda also. No issues with them

Then none of them look right for only 1,200 miles.

What is the recommended mileage interval for a spark plug change on your Camry and what did the old ones look like?
The change interval for iridium spark plugs is specified from 60,000 to 150,000 miles.

Old plugs were Denso. The NGK ones are already burnt. Which is kinda weird.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The change interval for iridium spark plugs is specified from 60,000 to 150,000 miles.

Which is a clue …………

Others more knowledgeable may chime in as to why that would be with only 1,200 miles on those plugs. And whether a single bad coil could cause all four plugs to look like that.

Somehow, I doubt it.

I have little patience for intermittent unreliability
And I've been personally burned cheaping out on coils on my Camry

IMO, this car needs 4 SK20R11s and 4 RockAuto Denso coils, then forgot about the ignition system
At this age and mileage, they're on borrowed time
Off brand or parts store coils don't cut it, and almost cost me a converter

If it's still acting out, further diagnosis is required
2AZ injectors are known to restrict with age, or the fuel pump could be getting tired

I have little patience for intermittent unreliability
And I've been personally burned cheaping out on coils on my Camry

IMO, this car needs 4 SK20R11s and 4 RockAuto Denso coils, then forgot about the ignition system
At this age and mileage, they're on borrowed time
Off brand or parts store coils don't cut it, and almost cost me a converter

If it's still acting out, further diagnosis is required
2AZ injectors are known to restrict with age, or the fuel pump could be getting tired
I replaced the Denso plugs with NGK plugs 1200 miles ago. Just ordered 1 denso coil to replace the messed up on. I'll see if that makes a difference

Which is a clue …………

Others more knowledgeable may chime in as to why that would be with only 1,200 miles on those plugs. And whether a single bad coil could cause all four plugs to look like that.

Somehow, I doubt it.
Could be a fuel air ratio causing the plugs to be "burnt" already

Why is the socket and spark plug threads in the 1st photo covered with oil? Was that the old Denso plug that was previously replaced or a new NGK plug that you just removed today? If the oil is leaking into the spark plug tube, it will cause the misfire by shorting the coil spark to ground.

Why is the socket and spark plug threads in the 1st photo covered with oil? Was that the old Denso plug that was previously replaced or a new NGK plug that you just removed today? If the oil is leaking into the spark plug tube, it will cause the misfire by shorting the coil spark to ground.
Yep. The seals are shot.

Those were the old Denso plugs that I replaced.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Back