Camry misfires and CEL P0301

To add to this, makes sure it's an actual Denso coil and not a China rip off. Kinda spendy for an older Toyota, but when they don't have to replace it every 6 months it will be cheaper in the long run.
I was gonna go cheap as all hell and buy some ultra-power branded coil packs off rockauto 🤣

Come on bro at least go with the $39 Denso's if you're going RA! :ROFLMAO:
Sheesh, I wish they where $39/ a coil. The Camry is more of a beater car. Hence why I don't want to go crazy with parts.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell I can get the CEL to pop back on so I can see if the coil pack for cylinder one is bad or not.

Is any part of the boot on those removeable? If so take it off and inspect it. I had one recently that had an intermittant misfire - so small wouldn't set a code or even pending code but it hit the misfire counter. Turned out to be a hairline crack in the plastic part of the boot. Also was shortly after changed plugs.

Is any part of the boot on those removeable? If so take it off and inspect it. I had one recently that had an intermittant misfire - so small wouldn't set a code or even pending code but it hit the misfire counter. Turned out to be a hairline crack in the plastic part of the boot. Also was shortly after changed plugs.
Nope

I just drove the car hard. Kinda floored it (went up to 55 MPH and 4000 RPM) and no CEL came on with coil pack 1 switched over to cylinder 2 and cylinder 2 coil pack to cylinder 1. Not sure how long it takes for a CEL to come back on
Does your scan tool have the ability to give live data? Most that do can monitor misfires in realtime and provide counters. Not sure what the threshold is for a Toyota, but for VWs it takes many misfires cumulatively to trigger a CEL.

Does your scan tool have the ability to give live data? Most that do can monitor misfires in realtime and provide counters. Not sure what the threshold is for a Toyota, but for VWs it takes many misfires cumulatively to trigger a CEL.
I believe so, let me check

Thats happened to me in many instances with coilpacks. Can't see the cracks, but they were "leaky" and triggered misfire counter.

I have the car listed for sale also. Don't really want to sell the car with an issue

Last edited:
I've got live data on the scan tool

This might be the culprit. Found this crack on coil pack #1

Attachments

• 17041193468082957236911923419586.jpg
    17041193468082957236911923419586.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 44
That little "ding" can cause a misfire? That's wild
That’s a crack near the high voltage area. Which is surrounded by all sorts of well-grounded metal (the spark plug tube). Under high throttle, the voltage required to jump the spark gap goes quite high. Under low load, less voltage is required, thus you could have a situation where it runs fine around town, misses on hills on the highway.

Once it starts arcing, it can carbon track and make future arcs easier.

That’s a crack near the high voltage area. Which is surrounded by all sorts of well-grounded metal (the spark plug tube). Under high throttle, the voltage required to jump the spark gap goes quite high. Under low load, less voltage is required, thus you could have a situation where it runs fine around town, misses on hills on the highway.

Once it starts arcing, it can carbon track and make future arcs easier.
You might be right. When I was driving, my brother-in-law jokingly said "floor the car" I floored it a little and the RPMs rose from 3000~ up to like 4500~ and that's when the whole car started to shake and the CEL came on.

The car started slowing down on its own. Hence why I thought the trans went out.

Back