P0301 after battery swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my OE battery died on a -5F morning few days ago after 358K miles. (see sig for car) I grab a 2/15 dated JCI at WW and install it in 5F weather @ 9:30 at night under flashlight. (probably need my car for about 2 more years.

Today driving home from work the car starts chugging and blinking the CEL. I limp home (25 miles) and check the codes with a newly purchased reader and it is p0301; cyl 1 misfire.

Any chance these two are related. New battery somehow stress the ignition system?

Would anyone think the p0301 is bad coil? Car is coil on plug. Tomorrow I"m checking to see if I disturbed anything during the battery swap.

Any comments/assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:
I wonder if somehow the old battery stressed the ignition system, like from almost firing.

Ok this is totally reaching here but:

If you changed the battery and took long enough to loose your fuel map/trims, maybe:

It was running lean?

At that temp when you start a car it's injector pulse width is huge to compensate for the loss of fuel down the cylinder walls.

And, once the code is set and you read it, well maybe it would get better with driving it, but that is my best guess.

Swap the coil with another one, reset the code and see if the code follows to another cylinder. Kind of odd that the battery might cause something, but it's probably possible.

try resetting the code and see if it comes back. a misfire while learning idle at -10f might not come back.

Swapped the coils; code is now 0302; looks like I'll be picking one up or ordering from RA;

I will add this to the list of examples how a computerized ignition system adds significant value to diagnosing problems, rather than solely being a source of them

So I don't mind buying stuff from AA since they are convenient (8 miles), but the replacement for a denso coil is double the cost from RA.

For > $50USD, i can let the car sit for 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back