2012 Chevy Sonic - P0301 (Cylinder #1 misfire)

The coil pack was delivered from RA this morning - came out to C$139 for the part plus delivery plus federal sales tax of 5%. I loaded up the order with oil filters for myself, and split the delivery charge with my friend.

We installed the coil, and the car is good now with no misfire.

Genuine GM part, made in Korea. That might do it for the rest of the car's life.

The coil pack was delivered from RA this morning - came out to C$139 for the part plus delivery plus federal sales tax of 5%. I loaded up the order with oil filters for myself, and split the delivery charge with my friend.

We installed the coil, and the car is good now with no misfire.

Genuine GM part, made in Korea. That might do it for the rest of the car's life.
Edit: I worded that poorly. I meant that the inclusive cost was C$139 (coil, half the shipping cost, and tax), so not bad.

FWIW bad wires and/or bad connections can kill a coil. Back in the day the service manual would recommend replacing spark plug wires at 60,000 miles. I've noticed also that OEM coils (looking at you, Motorcraft) are the best. They're worth the extra money. Make sure you use electrical contact (dielectric) grease when you install the coils and wires.

FWIW bad wires and/or bad connections can kill a coil. Back in the day the service manual would recommend replacing spark plug wires at 60,000 miles. I've noticed also that OEM coils (looking at you, Motorcraft) are the best. They're worth the extra money. Make sure you use electrical contact (dielectric) grease when you install the coils and wires.

Here's a photo of the old coil - the conical projections extend right down to the spark plugs. The replacement is a GM part, and was made in Korea (as the original would have been).
20230708_182255~3.jpg

There was already some grease in the openings for the tops of the plugs but I added a bit more of my ancient AC Delco dielectric grease.
20230708_183216~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20230708_182255~2.jpg
    20230708_182255~2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1
Yeah, remember GM's HEI system used to burn/short out to the HEI coil in the cap!
Shorted it right to ground.
Had to replace wires and distributor cap that housed the coil!

Back