2002 Toyota Camry with code P0301

Status
Not open for further replies.
> Gas+oil+grease $480

Oh My God! I am speechless.

Frankly, the chances are the head gasket job was botched up.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
It is probably the spark plug wire? Try it first, cheaper than the coil.

The NGK G-Power has proven to be good in a Camry, only around $3 each.

I have 4 new in box NGK BKR6EP-11 Double Platinum Plugs in my stash. How/when I had it and for which car I don't remember, just looking for a 3/8 extension to remove the plug and found the NGK box, check with Amazon and it fits the Camry.

Will swap/inspect/replace the plugs tonight and go from there.

There is some unusual problem with cylinder #1, when I removed the ignition coil and saw a good amount of new/clean oil in the tube, it covers the plug by about 1/2".

It is there by either the valve cover gasket leak or the tech spilled the oil when he filled the crankcase.

I cleaned up the oil with paper towel and shopvac until no more oil can be seen in the tube. I also cleared the CEL, it was cleared 2-3 days ago and came back this morning, same P0301 code. I tried to remove the plug #1 but could not do it, even with a 2 feet pipe. I could not loosen other plugs also.

Took a test drive, first 1-2 minutes the engine was rough but smooth out after that, the shaking at idle was much less than before, it's still shaking a bit but not as bad as yesterday.

I will remove the ignition coil #1 in 2-3 days to see if any oil is in the tube, if there is any oil then the car will go back to the shop to fix the leak from the valve cover gasket.

I think those spark plug tubes have large nut and a separate o-ring.

The more I hear about this car, more I know that the shop which did the previous work is to be avoided at all costs.

- Vikas

I am not sure on a 2002 Camry but in earlier model, the valve cover gasket is held by the spark plug tube nuts.

It is a spark plug tube seal and then a big nuts.
Sometimes, those nuts are loose overtime.

The spec on a 2000 is 33 Ft-Lbs.

Removed the ignition coil #1 today after rough idle at red light, there is some oil in the spark plug tube, but not as much as before.

Call the shop in Canoga Park which is 70 miles away, they agree to pay for replacing valve cover gasket and spark plugs(if needed) at a local shop in Irvine as long as it doesn't cost more than $100-150 parts and labor. Will bring the Camry to local shop tomorrow then mail the bill to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back