Pick a Nissan V8 4x4 family hauler.

People with "financial constraints" sure make interesting decisions. For $10k there are a lot of minivans in very good condition to choose from. But instead a huge, V8 SUV with an atrocious gas mileage seems to be the only viable option. A very wise choice :rolleyes:
OP did mention towing. A FWD V6 Minivan, with 6 people, is not ideal for safe reliable towing vs V8 RWD Armada/Pathfinder. They have a $9k limit so they are following their cap so I don't see the issue here.

The cat weld was just a bit sloppy but it has the magic part # from Cali that makes it smog legal.

They can be repaired but it will happen gain on the stock units.

If you ever go look at one - insist on seeing it start from a completely dead cold overnight start so you can listen for a tick. Warming it up prior to sale makes the tick go away (in most cases) so guys buy ricks with cracked exhausts and dont realize it till well after.

Feel free to negotiate this out from an under a price , just like car with a timing belt due.

View attachment 200233
So this place literally cuts the flange off a set of JBA shortys and welds on universal cats and a flange? The writes a tune to tune off the CEL for the rear cats?

I watched an "I do cars" Nissan 5.6L teardown video a few days back. It does look like a nice engine. It was the first he was ever able to get his hands on, so I'd image that means something.

The Armadas listed above do look nice. Being as free of rust as possible is the key IMO. The problem with any vehicle in this class, at that mileage is, they are going to be expensive to repair. You will pay to play.

Armadas and Titans were never big sellers in my area. Very rare to see one. I've chatted with the staff at my local Nissan dealer about this in the past. They hated to keep them in stock because sales were so slow on them. Same with the Frontier.

So this place literally cuts the flange off a set of JBA shortys and welds on universal cats and a flange? The writes a tune to tune off the CEL for the rear cats?

Yup on the first part. This is the only setup outside of Magnaflow that has a Cal/ CARB legal replacement certification.

I didnt bother with any tune and have no CEL.

OP did mention towing. A FWD V6 Minivan, with 6 people, is not ideal for safe reliable towing vs V8 RWD Armada/Pathfinder. They have a $9k limit so they are following their cap so I don't see the issue here.
He did mention towing 3000lbs. An AWD Sienna with tow package is rated for 3500lbs towing and often has a payload rating in the 1500-1800lbs. Nice low center of gravity helps too. Fully doable with a properly set up WDH. Running this setup for 8 years.

1706293937851.jpg

I know they're not as cool, but the "minivan" 2013-2016 Pathfinder is rated to tow 5000lbs while the 2017-2020 can do 6000lb. They have usable 3rd row seating as well. IMO, they're no more of a risk than buying a ~16yr/old Armada, CVT or otherwise.

People with "financial constraints" sure make interesting decisions. For $10k there are a lot of minivans in very good condition to choose from. But instead a huge, V8 SUV with an atrocious gas mileage seems to be the only viable option. A very wise choice :rolleyes:
It's not all bad.

I chose an older full sized SUV because, at the price point, not much depreciates less. Even as the years and miles increase, a full sized SUV is worth a few bucks.

Conversely, a $10k minivan will be essentially worthless later.

That more than makes up for a MPG difference. And a full sized SUV simply rides/drives better than a minivan.

Sir, respectfully disagree:
It not was the transmission fluid that did your trans in, but a faulty radiator heat exhcnager leading to mixing of ATF and coolant. All modern cars have this design and it has happend in other brands/models too.
Once it happens the trans goes within a day or 2.
So if u buy a used one and the tranny is good just install a non faulty Radiator (they dont make the bad ones anymore) and your fine
Sequoia and Expedition are fine vehciles but are dramatically overpriced in the used market, especially the Sequoia.
You are really talking about a differnet price class shopping then.

Not sure how you can disagree when you assumed incorrectly what the issue was with the transmission. I did not claim the fluid was the issue, I used the correct fluid and mentioned Nissan's can be sensitive to the correct fluid in the trans. It's been a while but if I recall it was the 505R or 5R05 transmission. It was not the well-known cooler line it was the gearbox grinding and going to :poop: which is another known issue with these Armada's. Mine is a sample of 1 so rather insignificant.

Well, Nissan is not the Nissan that established their reputation and maybe that has something to do with the pricing of them in the aftermarket. Not a leap to state overall Sequoia & Expedition is often a more reliable vehicle than the Armada which will demand a higher price at resale.

I know they're not as cool, but the "minivan" 2013-2016 Pathfinder is rated to tow 5000lbs while the 2017-2020 can do 6000lb. They have usable 3rd row seating as well. IMO, they're no more of a risk than buying a ~16yr/old Armada, CVT or otherwise.
The V6 CVT did not have failure rates higher than those of normal transmisisons.
Did some fail?
Sure but so does everybodys elses on occasion.
The '17 and up Pathfinders had an even more upgraded CVT beyond the "normal" V6 application during the '17 Facelift.
This mid model update included a stronger/wider CVT belt to stand up to repeat towing at the higher rating.

The internet magnifies negativities, fanboy gangs form and rational analysis sometimes takes back seat.

I have owned 2 vehicles with CVTs never an issue despite my leadfoot however, i had 2 catastrophic failures with tradtionla geared auto transmissions, but I do not go out and rip those for it either.

Not a leap to state overall Sequoia & Expedition is often a more reliable vehicle than the Armada which will demand a higher price at resale.
Human beings are very bad at putting nuanced numbers on perceived risk differences, especially when it comes to automotive reliability.
(and thats assuming reliability is the only parameter that matters in cars, when obviously its not, or we would all be riding bicycles)

Example, a 2015 Brand X of great "Reputation" (and remember comsumer perception is always a decade behind truth on the ground anyway) may command 60% more used than a 2015 of equal use case of brand B with a poor Reputation.
Does it make sense to compare them?
No, you compare same cost cars.

So a 2015 of brand A may cost as much used as a 2019 of Brand B.

The 2019 of brand B however, will be 4 years newer and have 4 years lower miles and as a result may actually be more reliable than the 2015 of the "more reliable perceived " brand.

For a short time I was car salesman in the 90s and I was amazed how people were willing to spend the same money on an ancient 11 yr Accord that a 3-4 year used equivalent class Mistubishi would cost. (back then Honda was perceived as #1 in quality among all brands, when in reality during the the 90s Toyota was actually starting to surpass Honda in that regard, but again consumer perceptions are always a decade behind)
In the end the younger car, despite the "better" pedigree of the older one would actually incur less repair costs but the buyers of the older car at same price would pat themsleves on the back for their "sensible reliable brand " choice.

So if the market does not appreciate some vehicles that is in no way a reason to stay away from them, due to the Exaggerated price response curves to any perceived reliability differences, in the consumers mind.

So on the contrary this means you will be able to afford a newer and therefore more reliable vehcile ( with the better use factor of a newer car) while all the lemmings rush to drop high $$ on the brand "every internet mechanic recommends"

Last edited:
I don't think the SMOD Nissan Radiator class action affected the Armada - but I would double check. It did go to 2010. So long as it doesn't have it when you buy it - easy fix - either just bypass the radiator cooler or replace the rad.

My understanding is virtually all VK56 exhaust manifolds are disposed to crack. There not a big deal to fix, but are integrated with the catalytic converter so there very expensive - is my understanding. Never owned one - so you might want to do some more research on that part.

There otherwise very reliable, if not hard on fuel - is my understanding.

The OP has gone radio silent. Which usually means he didn't like what he heard and his friend will end up with an Armada.........

The V6 CVT did not have failure rates higher than those of normal transmisisons.
Did some fail?
Sure but so does everybodys elses on occasion.
The '17 and up Pathfinders had an even more upgraded CVT beyond the "normal" V6 application during the '17 Facelift.
This mid model update included a stronger/wider CVT belt to stand up to repeat towing at the higher rating.

The internet magnifies negativities, fanboy gangs form and rational analysis sometimes takes back seat.

I have owned 2 vehicles with CVTs never an issue despite my leadfoot however, i had 2 catastrophic failures with tradtionla geared auto transmissions, but I do not go out and rip those for it either.
Thank you for that information. I was unaware of 2017+ updates. Based on what you're saying my friend is also now considering this:

CVT fluid will get changed every 25-30k miles, if he goes with this (or similar) vehicle.

I don't think the SMOD Nissan Radiator class action affected the Armada - but I would double check. It did go to 2010. So long as it doesn't have it when you buy it - easy fix - either just bypass the radiator cooler or replace the rad.

My understanding is virtually all VK56 exhaust manifolds are disposed to crack. There not a big deal to fix, but are integrated with the catalytic converter so there very expensive - is my understanding. Never owned one - so you might want to do some more research on that part.

N0-they are not be we can disagree here.

Minivan is great family hauler. Honda Odyssey is great if timing belt and water had been recently changed and AT had been serviced. Otherwise, a Toyota Siena is a better choice.

An Armada is way better than a Pathfinder in every way except fuel economy but we’re talking about 6 people so anything about 15 mpg in that application is great.

1)Thank you for that information. I was unaware of 2017+ updates. Based on what you're saying my friend is also now considering this:

2)CVT fluid will get changed every 25-30k miles, if he goes with this (or similar) vehicle.
1) The miles are not low but since its a newer vehcile likly highway. Even so, with that many miles you do want to see at least one ATF fluid change record.

2) It is always prudent to do more fequent changes with a CVT than a regualr auto. This is because a regular auto has a clutchpack. In a CVT the fluid acts as a clutch. But even so 25k seems abit excessive. maybe 40k or so unless he is a leadfoot or tows a lot on hilly terrain.

PS: The info on the belt on the 17s and up comes form a active Nissan Master tech/Dealership Shopforeman who serves as advisor on a nissan forum I frequent. Link available per PM.

Back