Ph7317

LOL... do give us the sorted details...

Im still looking for my filter cutter, but will be glad to try to duplicate your experiment for the record.
I had the ABDV in the freezer. When I took it out, it was stiff but recovered quickly. I decided to take it out and set it on fire. The first 10 seconds were promising but the smoke was then black and thick. Yep, it’s nitrile. Silicone burns clean and is “ashy”. This left behind a black mass.

So my experiment ended up in flames, literally. It’s a nitrile ABDV. A sneaky cost-cutting move. I’ll buy OCOJs, but keep them in service for no more than 5K.

Now I'm worried because I was at my local Meijer store recently and checked all 5 of the 7317 series Fram Tough Guard filters in stock and all had this black ADBV. The orange can 7317 filters in stock that I checked still had the orange silicone ADBV, I think I would rather buy one of those given the choice.

At this point if a Fram can doesn't have a silicone ADBV and an Ultra or Titanium filter doesn't have wire backed media, I will be taking a hard pass. I'm not interested in this First Branded 💩

What is the point of buying a Tough Guard now if you cannot at the very least get a silicone ADBV? You can get a silicone ADBV and metal end caps on a First Branded Ultra for a few more bucks.

Last edited:
Now I'm worried because I was at my local Meijer store recently and checked all 5 of the 7317 series Fram Tough Guard filters in stock and all had this black ADBV. The orange can 7317 filters in stock that I checked still had the orange silicone ADBV, I think I would rather buy one of those given the choice.

At this point if a Fram can doesn't have a silicone ADBV and an Ultra or Titanium filter doesn't have wire backed media, I will be taking a hard pass. I'm not interested in this First Branded 💩

What is the point of buying a Tough Guard now if you cannot at the very least get a silicone ADBV? You can get a silicone ADBV and metal end caps on a First Branded Ultra for a few more bucks.
Total Gong Show going on there IMHO.

Been using Fram since 1968 and will continue to use with no problems....
I had no problem using them, despite multiple ownership changes, until this most recent nonsense. The change in the Ultra bothers me (they should have just left well enough alone) and this swapping of ABDV material while you've had CS tell you that it's not nitrile (it's nitrile) just doesn't sit right.

The Ultra change is chasing pennies, this most recent trend seems to be supply shortage related.

BMW is shipping Premium Enhanced packaged cars without wireless charging and without the HK sound system. Why? Because they can't get the chips. HOWEVER, BMW clearly tells you that this is the case. They are forthcoming with that information; accurate information.

I feel like all our interactions with First Brands has had this large cloud of inaccuracy/incompetence over it, starting with the discussion on the Ultra changes when it was clear they weren't even describing how the old filter was constructed correctly. We'll see if they can get their act together, but for the time being I'll just be sitting back and watching. I have enough OG Ultra's to last me a bit.

For me, I’ll use OCOJs if I can’t find OEM or if the parts house is closed(their prices on Wix is better than O’Reilly), or if I didn’t order a Puro off Amazon. I can get OE Toyota for $6 over the counter at the local dealer.

I used to be a Fram basher. I feel if a painted blue Extra Guard/Tough Guard is good enough for Subaru and Honda, it’s good enough for me and the friends I change oil for if nothing is abused. If it’s a Ford/GM/Chrysler I’m changing on, it’s automatically Motorcraft/Delco/Mopar - yes, I know Puro and Fram make those.

Ever since the MityVac spoiled me by easy peasey oil services, I change the filter every 2nd (or even 3rd !) service.
What's a poor boy to do?

Still looking for filter cutter... starting to bug me....

One thing i forgot to mention, i only found this is the 7317 and similarly sized filters, 3600, PH8 all of those were all red/orange... since Fram has an agreement with Honda for A02, i wonder if there is a minor shortage and they have diverted all of this size silicone to Honda production. I'm guessing a contract of that size would trump a few disgruntled DIYers.

If someone turns up an A02 with black or blue ADBV that would be interesting...

Still looking for filter cutter... starting to bug me....

One thing i forgot to mention, i only found this is the 7317 and similarly sized filters, 3600, PH8 all of those were all red/orange... since Fram has an agreement with Honda for A02, i wonder if there is a minor shortage and they have diverted all of this size silicone to Honda production. I'm guessing a contract of that size would trump a few disgruntled DIYers.

If someone turns up an A02 with black or blue ADBV that would be interesting...
I have a Subaru AA15A with the same black ADBV but a yellow ADBV.

Attachments

• 8D6C4DE5-3D74-4D0B-A458-E9FC351C752B.jpeg
    8D6C4DE5-3D74-4D0B-A458-E9FC351C752B.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 23
Back