FRAM Extra Guard PH7317 : 2 videos showing black nitrile instead of silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed the PH7317 on the 2nd generation FIT . That had the orange silicone . Bought it at Home Depot back in February along with the PH9688 for the '18 ACCENT . That has the orange silicone A.D.B.V. . Installed it on the '18 ACCENT on July 3rd . Both were $4.48 . Went to WALMART this past Saturday and looked at the FRAM oil filters . All the PH7317 and PH9688 were black A.D.B.V.. Also , cost twice as much as those purchased at Home Depot back in February . One video points out SILICONE anti drain back valve on box , but it's nitrile .

8/12/22

6/11/22

Last edited:
Yeah, this has been noticed for the last 6 months or so and it seems pretty random if they will be nitrile (black) or silicone (orange) ADBVs. Look before you buy is all I can suggest. 😬

The nitrile ADBV's appears to have been a supply chain issue that has since been resolved
Is it really an issue ? Sure, silicone is better but is nitrile only good for 1500 miles and anything longer is a huge risk of using ? Plenty of filter makers use nitrile, I suspect.

Is it really an issue ? Sure, silicone is better but is nitrile only good for 1500 miles and anything longer is a huge risk of using ? Plenty of filter makers use nitrile, I suspect.

The other solution would have been to stop production entirely until the silicone was available again. That would have prompted even more threads on the subject.

The other solution would have been to stop production entirely until the silicone was available again.
Yeah, imagine that.... Can you believe a company like FRAM would use something so inferior and wrong for that part ?

For regular interval oil changes, there's no problem with nitrile but it is being treated like it's the plague.

For regular interval oil changes, there's no problem with nitrile but it is being treated like it's the plague.
The problem is paying for a filter that's supposed to have silicone and getting nitrile. If they are using a cheaper material, the price should reflect that, and so should the advertising material.

The problem is paying for a filter that's supposed to have silicone and getting nitrile. If they are using a cheaper material, the price should reflect that, and so should the advertising material.
Don't like it, don't buy it. Look at it as a form of product shrink-flation. It's only misleading if the box states silicone.

Don't like it, don't buy it. Look at it as a form of product shrink-flation.
Yup, the problem is that FRAM is selling you one thing and you are getting something else. If you buy a filter thinking it has a silicone ADBV and you get home and it's nitrile, that's a PO. They are obligated to change their marketing to reflect what you are getting, even if they don't reduce the price (per your shrink-flation analogy).

That's why I've switched to the EaO, these practices by First Brands aren't appealing. And yes, I'm paying significantly more than I have previously for the FRAM Ultra.

Yup, the problem is that FRAM is selling you one thing and you are getting something else. If you buy a filter thinking it has a silicone ADBV and you get home and it's nitrile, that's a PO. They are obligated to change their marketing to reflect what you are getting, even if they don't reduce the price (per your shrink-flation analogy).

That's why I've switched to the EaO, these practices by First Brands aren't appealing. And yes, I'm paying significantly more than I have previously for the FRAM Ultra.
I would like to see what the box states on those nitrile filters. So far in my area the valves are orange.

I would like to see what the box states on those nitrile filters. So far in my area the valves are orange.
Problem isn't just the box, the website also says silicone:
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 4.40.12 PM.jpg

You should get what you pay for . Not many are aware of the better quality of silicone over nitrile . Especially for longer oil intervals . I would of never known if not for this site .

IMG_8891.JPG
IMG_8892.JPG
IMG_8887.JPG

Last edited:
Discussed plenty of times....lack of supply or cost of supply. If you notice the price of extra guard has all went up at Walmart/Amazon across the board. Loosely tracking this it appears some time after april-may production date codes have now moved back to silicone...and well before. Home depot tended to have older stock and silicone. Have 1 with nitrile (jan date code) in service and one in storage (april/may date code). Will continue to use for 5k with no sweating. It shouldn't make any difference unless you running this longer than OE spec timeframe (which for most is longest 1 yr).

Last edited:
It’s a $4 filter. You get what you pay for; if you want better, buy better?

Let’s be honest, if you’re buying orange cans you’re not super worried about that vehicle anyway, orange black or NO ADBV. Even buying OEM would imply you place more value on said vehicle; orange can basically says “my car requires one, so I put one on it”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back