Ph7317

11 pages and it still isnt clear to me whether this is the exception or now the norm. It seems plausible they were unable to source those orange ones and temporarily switched to nitrile used on the supertech line for some production runs? After all, they are "rated" for 10k. If they were going to continue to not use the orange ADBV, I'd think the marketing materials would be changed by now.

11 pages and it still isnt clear to me whether this is the exception or now the norm. It seems plausible they were unable to source those orange ones and temporarily switched to nitrile used on the supertech line for some production runs? After all, they are "rated" for 10k. If they were going to continue to not use the orange ADBV, I'd think the marketing materials would be changed by now.
Moral of the story, I suppose, is inspect what you're buying before you buy it.

11 pages and it still isnt clear to me whether this is the exception or now the norm. It seems plausible they were unable to source those orange ones and temporarily switched to nitrile......... If they were going to continue to not use the orange ADBV, I'd think the marketing materials would be changed by now.
Yep, as mentioned early on here by several including me, possible supply chain issues caused shortage of the orange silicone adbvs. However, reps info posted here 'claim' the black is silicone, so "IF" true, no need for it to be temporary or change the box info. They would need to change color of adbv on website if black new norm of their "silicone". :)

Otoh, there is one controlled test done here on the black adbv vs their orange silicone which would indicate reps claim, not uhhh 'reliable'.

Last edited:
I think there have been posts where the black adbv has been tested and concluded that it is likely not silicone.
(post #181)

More people were going to do their own tests. But I'd say anyone that has done a test or is so motivated to contact fram and ask for some honesty on the subject.

I think there have been posts where the black adbv has been tested and concluded that it is likely not silicone.
(post #181)

More people were going to do their own tests. But I'd say anyone that has done a test or is so motivated to contact fram and ask for some honesty on the subject.
Good luck with that. The reps don’t know what’s going on on the production line and I doubt it’s disclosed. The majority of people just pick up a filter and use it.

I'm confused... You say that it's black and it's yellow in the same sentence, what am I missing?? The picture you posted shows a blue one and a black one.
I thought you said that something was yellow on that Subaru filter 🤔
image.jpg
image.jpg

Black ADBV, but yellow button BPV. Figures - Subaru calls for a high bypass spec. Fram usually uses a black BPV.

View attachment 86089View attachment 86090

Black ADBV, but yellow button BPV. Figures - Subaru calls for a high bypass spec. Fram usually uses a black BPV.

Cool, I have actually been seeing those used more and more with Fram and Champ can filters in recent times. I am starting to think that they are just trying to source whatever components they can in whatever color they can to keep production moving.

The color of the bypass valve usually means it's set to a certain PSI ... at least Fram has used that methodology.

The color of the bypass valve usually means it's set to a certain PSI ... at least Fram has used that methodology.
I haven’t had a reason to pick up a 9688(Hyundai/Kia) or the late model GM Fram filter(10575?), wasn’t their cross-over to the FL500 and PF63 recently tweaked to meet Ford/GM specs?

Back