People are driving like maniacs!

Somebody should go tell those crazy Germans their highways are death traps!!!!
Well they probably would be if they had our drivers and vehicles...
If you look at the IIHS deathrates by vehicle, somehow the guys in half of the 7+ year old pickup models manage to kill themselves at a higher rate than the average vehicle despite having a far larger than average vehicle? I think the only reasonable explanation is that they roll more often at high speeds? If you drove a pickup at 55mph it would be one of the safest vehicles on the road, but go 75+ and have an issue I guess things can go bad fast?

That video really was.

I believe I've seen disconnected brake lights before. Now THAT scam, I don't understand.. They make money by having you hit them? I know some cars drive around with damage, looking for a scenario they can say caused it.. scams are.. everything you can think of, including the "homeless" person getting money at the red light. That is maybe horrible to say but some of us know that hustle.

Well they probably would be if they had our drivers and vehicles...
If you look at the IIHS deathrates by vehicle, somehow the guys in half of the 7+ year old pickup models manage to kill themselves at a higher rate than the average vehicle despite having a far larger than average vehicle? I think the only reasonable explanation is that they roll more often at high speeds? If you drove a pickup at 55mph it would be one of the safest vehicles on the road, but go 75+ and have an issue I guess things can go bad fast?
Full size trucks really are not that safe. They don’t have to meet the same crash standards, because “commercial vehicle”, and often the crumple zone is the passenger compartment, especially when they have that half rear door with no B-pillar.

Full size trucks really are not that safe. They don’t have to meet the same crash standards, because “commercial vehicle”, and often the crumple zone is the passenger compartment, especially when they have that half rear door with no B-pillar.
Probably has to do with more weight/momentum as well. The truck wins when it hits a smaller vehicle, but not when it hits a stationary object like a tree, telephone pole, or a wall.

I have never seen Semis being driven so bad.
I'd imagine it is related to the companies hiring anyone they can at the lowest pay they can. Speaking of which I know there is a shortage of school bus drivers, and I've seen some local school bus drivers make some pretty risky driving maneuvers.

As long as people follow lane discipline.....left lane for passing only....I think creates a much safer and easier to drive situation. 90% of the time its an inconsiderate person holding the left lane up that makes other drivers take risks in passing them. Stay in the slow lane if you drive slow. Of course, on the other hand, if you are driving in the slow lane and being tailgated, that is a rude act by the tailgater.
Stay out of the left lane when not passing ... It's so simple ! Yet never ever followed . If I want a speeding ticket that's my choice 😂

It is not the speed that kills, it is a combination of factors including people that can't handle speed safely as well as factors beyond their control like weather that kills.

Speed in and of itself does not kill.

Stay out of the left lane when not passing ... It's so simple ! Yet never ever followed . If I want a speeding ticket that's my choice 😂

I don't understand tailgaters.. maybe you are in a 2nd from the right or 3rd from the right lane on a 4 or more lane highway. Then someone tailgates you, maybe you're doing 75, still slower than left lane traffic... cars are to the right of you. How are you gonna get over then? (Assume a solid wall of cars doing 70.)

You slow down.. gradual.. get them to pass you on the left.

Your post is correct.

I have never seen Semis being driven so bad.

Having worked on a receiving dock unloading semi's for a few years recently, you would not believe the semi drivers I've come into contact with regularly.

Some struggle to dock their trailer after several attempts. You can tell them which bay (if they ask or they look lost) and they still go to a different spot. Explain to them I can't go into their trailer with a forklift until they chock their tires - they just look at you, or get upset about it.

And I was always surprised how many spoke NO English at all. How did they manage to get a CDL-A? How do they function on the road?

Was trying to explain something to a driver who had come up on the dock once. He had an absolutely blank stare on his face. I stopped mid-sentence and said, 'You don't understand a single word I'm saying, do you.?' No reaction whatsoever. Same blank stare. I just walked away.

Lots of stories.

I don't understand tailgaters.. maybe you are in a 2nd from the right or 3rd from the right lane on a 4 or more lane highway. Then someone tailgates you, maybe you're doing 75, still slower than left lane traffic... cars are to the right of you. How are you gonna get over then? (Assume a solid wall of cars doing 70.)

Your post is correct.

I agree ^^^^^^

Tailgating is very stupid.

I get where I'm going. Typically 8-9 mph over posted speed limit on 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 mph zones.

But I don't run 4 feet behind someone.

I had a local police officer tailgate me a couple of weeks ago. I saw that nimrod come on to Rte 199 at the Rte 60 exit. I drive my typical 68-69 mph... And leave him behind knowing that I could see that police vehicle again. Sure enough .... 3 miles down the road deputy dumbass comes running up to me and tailgates me the last mile to my exit. In a area at night with deer known to be all over the place in that area routinely...
I was not impressed. That moron was trying to push me to go a bit faster as to write me a ticket...

I proceed to take deputy moron on a guided tour of the local neighborhoods in a big circle pattern.... That idiot followed me that entire way...

Funny to me... Because I actually drive the same whether deputy moron is there or not. As I came to my area he finally left me alone. If moron Jr would have followed me in there I would have circled my neighborhood and took that idiot on another guided tour of another couple of nearby neighborhoods.

For the record... I have told a couple of local police officers in person that I appreciate them and what they are trying to do. I also talked with a really nice state trooper and told him the same.

I got to know many of my local police officers at the gym I used to work at. And I got to know most of the state troopers. 90 percent plus were really good everyday people.

I know there's always a few idiots in every profession... Mine certainly has them too. I worked with a few that didn't know how to act right.

In my area there has been zero law enforcement on traffic for about 5 years. Not just since the pandemic began. Only after major accidents. 5 fatalities in two wrecks last weekend. I have the attitude that you can't expect anyone to stop at a red light. A vehicle slamming into a house or business used to be a rare occurrence that you heard about once or twice a year. There are multiple occurrences of that happening on a weekly basis in recent years. DUI of something, Phones, lack of social responsibility, no worries about the law?

Your post is correct.
In that scenario the tailgater is a jerk .. I only tailgate in left lane . To pass and then remerge to right and If I'm not satisfied with the car in front of me in any lane but the left lane I go back to the passing lane no tailgating though except in left lane

In that scenario the tailgater is a jerk .. I only tailgate in left lane . To pass and then remerge to right and If I'm not satisfied with the car in front of me in any lane but the left lane I go back to the passing lane no tailgating though except in left lane

Nothing but jerks, my friend. And, I got news for ya.. You can accelerate to 85, 90MPH (should only be done by trained professionals.. do not try this at home.. haha) and guess what? They will still tailgate. It is actually a very dangerous situation because you can be seen as escalating vs de-escalation. The ONLY thing that works is to gradually slow, with or without the brake lights, and then you lose your advantage when they have the opportunity to get in front of you and maybe return the favor. Has happened, yup. See my earlier post about a jerk vs someone truly in a rush, which is fine.. if the police pull them over, that's on them.

Chase the rabbit, don't be the rabbit.

I too have been tailgated by police and did not want to be seen as brake-checking, since those brake lights light the same if you feather the brake or stomp...
I always go 5mph over like clockwork.

9-10 over. And keep your eyes peeled for Staties, 10 over drop it down when you see them to acknowledge their authoritah and 5 over either leave it or do the same...

Shows as 4-7 over on their radar on most cars, not all but many. Some are true to speed, some (most!!) make you think you're going a little faster as a safety feature.

See a cop, either leave it set or drop it down, I've been told (by Staties) they won't waste their time for 5 over. I'm sure somewhere, it has happened, but, there are ways to get tickets and ways to not get tickets, go on highway and set cruise at 75 in a 70 and you won't get one... they will sit their and wait for their 80+. And if there is much traffic they may let that go too. You'd be surprised..

I've gotten a ticket for 10 over. But that was at 3:15 in the morning, virtually no traffic, remember, the speed limit drops to 65 some places. They got me. Never again.. And, yes, I was surprised, and, yes, I did state I thought the speed limit was 70, as it was for the previous ~250ish miles. Slow night. But it happened. 10.. 10 flat.. 9 and I probably would have been okay....

I agree ^^^^^^

Tailgating is very stupid.

I get where I'm going. Typically 8-9 mph over posted speed limit on 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 mph zones.

But I don't run 4 feet behind someone.

I had a local police officer tailgate me a couple of weeks ago. I saw that nimrod come on to Rte 199 at the Rte 60 exit. I drive my typical 68-69 mph... And leave him behind knowing that I could see that police vehicle again. Sure enough .... 3 miles down the road deputy dumbass comes running up to me and tailgates me the last mile to my exit. In a area at night with deer known to be all over the place in that area routinely...
I was not impressed. That moron was trying to push me to go a bit faster as to write me a ticket...

I proceed to take deputy moron on a guided tour of the local neighborhoods in a big circle pattern.... That idiot followed me that entire way...

Funny to me... Because I actually drive the same whether deputy moron is there or not. As I came to my area he finally left me alone. If moron Jr would have followed me in there I would have circled my neighborhood and took that idiot on another guided tour of another couple of nearby neighborhoods.

For the record... I have told a couple of local police officers in person that I appreciate them and what they are trying to do. I also talked with a really nice state trooper and told him the same.

I got to know many of my local police officers at the gym I used to work at. And I got to know most of the state troopers. 90 percent plus were really good everyday people.

I know there's always a few idiots in every profession... Mine certainly has them too. I worked with a few that didn't know how to act right.

More like 4 inches !! But. Thank you, and.. yes!

About to rack up some miles, Christmas break is but 8 hours away.

Road trip!

Back