People are driving like maniacs!

where we live it seems the road is filled with all these little tiny young girls who look about 12 -13 years old! and driving like maniacs in freaking Mercedes, Lincoln giant SUVs , BMWs and Porches or Lexus. I am wondering who on earth is paying (gotta be high as hell) the car notes and the insurance on these high end luxury vehicles? They don't even look old enough to have finished High school yet! ?
Learners permit at 15 years old and you can start driving alone here during daylight hours of 6AM to 8PM at the age of 15.5 years old. At 16 you can request a waiver to those rules. So we are truly in just out of middle school driving age!

Driving I49 from KC to Nevada last weekend I can concur with that statement, well at least to the 7 highway split. I've driven this route for over 15 years and in last few years it has gotten worse. I set my cruise at 75 and I know some had to be going 90-100mph easily. In KC you see alot of the quick lane changers, also the quick lane changers that almost lose it lol.. not as capable as they think they were! I might start running 65 like I do in the RV and chill in the right lane, as a previous poster stated all seems to work out the same in the end.

As long as people follow lane discipline.....left lane for passing only....I think creates a much safer and easier to drive situation. 90% of the time its an inconsiderate person holding the left lane up that makes other drivers take risks in passing them. Stay in the slow lane if you drive slow. Of course, on the other hand, if you are driving in the slow lane and being tailgated, that is a rude act by the tailgater.
This. And in my little slice of Paradise, I'm seeing a lot of people camping out in the left lane and when you have an opening to the right to pull out and pass them, they suddenly figure out what the long skinny pedal on the right does. This is telling me that there are a number of self-appointed deputies trying to ensure that people drive at the speed that *they* think people should drive.

I see it every time I get behind the wheel. There are the crazies, usually doped up and there are the maniacs, likely the same but probably have just stolen the car they are in or have just committed a crime somewhere.

They can blast past me and curse me, whatever. Later on when I see their car flipped on the side of the road or into a tree and they are trying to flag down passerby then I keep on going.

One of the benefits of not driving your car Top Fuel Dragster speeds on straightaways and Indy 500 everywhere else - and doing a relatively slow 5 to 15 over on major, long, usually boring Interstates, with some exception of course where 5 over is pushing it.. is that, it distinguishes those actually in a rush, from the jerks. What I mean, is this...

If someone is actually in a rush, whether it be the I am doing 80 and I got passed like I was standing still, they were doing at least 100 (happens all the time) kind of rush OR a more gradual, someone is doing 85, a popular Interstate speed... they will simply keep going. If someone is not actually in a rush, they have time to slow down in front of you, whether it be a machismo you shall not be allowed to pass me! Who do you think you are kind of thing, or I'll show you you can't go faster than me, the speed limit is __ try and pass me ill block you - well bingo, you have just identified the jerk on the road.

If that happens and it gets too bad, I will exit at the first exit because that simply cannot continue past a very short amount of time. Then get back onto the road or take an alternate route, depending on how bad it was.

I've been road raged at by total, absolute loons and psychos, you don't even have to be doing anything if the psychosis is bad enough..

I keep seeing all these threads about how driving has changed. Nothing has changed around me, it's been crazy for years.

Ever since pretty much any car you can buy has a decent amount of speed to it, so much so that fast cars of yesteryear are average at best now, this is very true.

The only thing I think we can debate is where are the police there used to be more of them.. even that is business as usual in certain areas.

There is a thread In Automotive General Topics near the top right now about this very thing. They are NOT everywhere they used to be.

It's the last week of 2021.. they used to do random checkpoints. With a certain situation, I find it doubtful they will now..

Roughnecks bring their own brand of stupidity when they roll through town
I was a fuel distributer here for 25 years of bad economy with 89cent gas in 90's. The Texas DPS was "Training" their troopers on truck driving tickets. I got out knowing that all those safety laws don't make a good driver, since when they run out of competent drivers, the scrubs try to play. I was raised around dangerous cotton gins, and other farm equipment when a kid. I was told the best safety device is being careful. All the laws seem to have done is run off the people that can think. In this day of GPS we still have sand trucks miss the turn, and get stuck on hwy blocking it. I never found anyone that could give decent directions to oilfield and found a few with dyslexia. THE ROADS ARE BUMPER TO BUMPER FOR MILES EVERYDAY going to oilfield.

Last edited:
I can see the State highway out the back of my house and within the last 6 months, the light pole closest to me has been knocked down twice. The highway is as straight as a board for a few miles also. I hear the boi racers all the time with their crackle exhaust going 100 mph.

Everyone has their own style that they drive, some are "aggressive yet safe," think about it, it makes sense.. you keep your pace to a flow of traffic or safely slightly over, conditions and traffic permitting etc. They may seem like they are driving fast at first but it is possible to go slightly faster in a safe manner. Not 90 or 100MPH on a road with a traffic light coming up, no.. but 74-80 on an open highway? All day. Highway Patrol may not agree but you would be surprised sometimes at what they let go.

I've slowed down a lot, but I had my days where I was a regular 90-100 driver on good open interstates.

I'd like to think that despite driving FAST I was always considerate and safe(or at least as safe as can be at those speeds).

In particular, on a wide open road if I was approaching a car I knew was going slower than me, I'd change lanes well back then give plenty of space before getting back over.

If the traffic was such that I couldn't maintain the speed I wanted, I'd slow down to a speed where I could still keep a safe following distance even if that meant I was driving the limit or below.

I've seen a lot of unsafe and just plain stupid high speed driving in the past year or so.

Prime example:

My trek to work is mostly on a 4-lane divided limited access state highway in rural Illinois. It's posted at 65, which is awfully slow for that road although it does have some decent curves. The only time I've ever actually driven 65 is when the state police or sheriff have been camped out in the median.

The other morning, I was running 75-80, which is typically for me and for a lot of other drivers on that road. I'm in the right lane on an empty road, and the next thing I know I look in my rearview and I'm afraid I'm going to get run over by a Suburban. They were grinding on my bumper, but since the left lane was wide open and I was already around 15 over, I didn't see any particular reason to do anything other than hold my current speed. Finally, they pull into the left lane, swerving VERY uncomfortably in doing so, fly right past me, then make a sharp cut into the right lane again. At this point I'm afraid they're going to roll the amount of "wobble" I've seen in two lane changes.

We come up on a curve in the road and they nearly lose it again-even though this is an otherwise good road, it has some curves that will take you by surprise.

I let them get some distance from me, and out of curiosity I thought I might pace them. I run up to 100 and they're still pulling away from me, so I let it go, but I see them pull the same tailgate/rapid lane change/nearly lose control a couple more times ahead.

All of that only to get to my exit for work and pull up behind them at the stoplight off the ramp and wait for a couple more minutes.

That's one specific example, but it's not the only time I've seen something like that.

To me, you're not hurting me to drive as fast as you want as long as both you and your vehicle have the capability to drive at that speed for the conditions and you do so safely. Safely, among other things, means not tailgating, and especially not tailgating people in the right lane(especially so if the right lane is 10+ over and you have a wide open left).

I've slowed down a lot, but I had my days where I was a regular 90-100 driver on good open interstates.

I'd like to think that despite driving FAST I was always considerate and safe(or at least as safe as can be at those speeds).

In particular, on a wide open road if I was approaching a car I knew was going slower than me, I'd change lanes well back then give plenty of space before getting back over.

If the traffic was such that I couldn't maintain the speed I wanted, I'd slow down to a speed where I could still keep a safe following distance even if that meant I was driving the limit or below.

I've seen a lot of unsafe and just plain stupid high speed driving in the past year or so.

Prime example:

My trek to work is mostly on a 4-lane divided limited access state highway in rural Illinois. It's posted at 65, which is awfully slow for that road although it does have some decent curves. The only time I've ever actually driven 65 is when the state police or sheriff have been camped out in the median.

The other morning, I was running 75-80, which is typically for me and for a lot of other drivers on that road. I'm in the right lane on an empty road, and the next thing I know I look in my rearview and I'm afraid I'm going to get run over by a Suburban. They were grinding on my bumper, but since the left lane was wide open and I was already around 15 over, I didn't see any particular reason to do anything other than hold my current speed. Finally, they pull into the left lane, swerving VERY uncomfortably in doing so, fly right past me, then make a sharp cut into the right lane again. At this point I'm afraid they're going to roll the amount of "wobble" I've seen in two lane changes.

We come up on a curve in the road and they nearly lose it again-even though this is an otherwise good road, it has some curves that will take you by surprise.

I let them get some distance from me, and out of curiosity I thought I might pace them. I run up to 100 and they're still pulling away from me, so I let it go, but I see them pull the same tailgate/rapid lane change/nearly lose control a couple more times ahead.

All of that only to get to my exit for work and pull up behind them at the stoplight off the ramp and wait for a couple more minutes.

That's one specific example, but it's not the only time I've seen something like that.

To me, you're not hurting me to drive as fast as you want as long as both you and your vehicle have the capability to drive at that speed for the conditions and you do so safely. Safely, among other things, means not tailgating, and especially not tailgating people in the right lane(especially so if the right lane is 10+ over and you have a wide open left).

The Stevenson? I-55? You can do 100+ on there easy.. I also agree with everything you have said.

It is possible to drive safe and fast, if you do it right. The issue is those that drive like donkeys.

1. Set the cruise at 74 or 75
2. Keep it there, usually the right lane
3. Accelerate to 80 sometimes if you are on a long, desolate stretch of highway (dont worry. Michiganders will still tailgate you.. may even have kind of a problem with the Pure Michigan plate drivers) and speed next to you on open roads.... not all but it seems that way. Sorry Michigan..
4. Highway Patrol and yes they sometimes do sit off to the side.. I, personally, sometimes tap the brakes to disengage the cruise to take my speedo down to about 72, which means I'm showing 69 or 70 on a radar. Sometimes, I don't even bother, as my speedo saying 75 means I'm actually going 72 to that radar gun and I just sit there. Speed limit drops to 65 at one specific point, be mindful, it got me once. (Ohio, all this.) Tomato, tomatoe.. Even with the heightened presence of police we all are taught we will see the week of December 24th to January 1st more like 3rd, these tactics have served me well.

Bottom line is, speeders gonna speed.
I do the same. Cruise control is there for a reason. I USE IT.
Now, it annoys my co-pilot. She refuses to use it!?
So, I think she imagines herself at Dayton when she is behind the wheel. This is why when we both in the car I am the pilot! But then she gets to critique my every move, as we tease n call each other deaf / blind geezers. "Why did you turn here? You know you can go that way? Why you going so slow!?" what are you going in that lane for...? etc...:rolleyes:

I do the same. Cruise control is there for a reason. I USE IT.
Now, it annoys my co-pilot. She refuses to use it!?
So, I think she imagines herself at Dayton when she is behind the wheel. This is why when we both in the car I am the pilot! But then she gets to critique my every move, as we tease n call each other deaf / blind geezers. "Why did you turn here? You know you can go that way? Why you going so slow!?" what are you going in that lane for...? etc...:rolleyes:

Curious. Does she say.. that if you use the cruise control, that you dont know how to drive? I had someone try to argue this. I no longer speak to that person.

You are correct. Cruise control is there.. to be used. Same with fog lights and 4WD. There are times (night and snow) where you can use them.. so do so.

It used to be, you could ask why did you get those features then but since everything basically comes standard nowadays on many models.. see above lol.

I was on I-75 here in Florida and driving at 85 mph in a pack of around 10 cars.

It felt like a NASCAR race and it only takes a person to make a mistake and a big wreck will happen.
Don't travel in packs. Slow or accelerate to put yourself in some kind of middle ground between one group and the next. People hanging in my blind spot is one of my driving pet peeves. It leaves you no escape.

Back